When does an AP make sense?

OliviaBuie261

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I was looking for any information about when an AP makes sense, how it works with dining reservations/FP+, and how it works upgrading your tickets into an AP. I have very little info about AP’s and truthfully I find it confusing so any help is greatly appreciated!

This is a little vague, but it kind of depends on your situation.

There are a few times when generally it always makes sense. Like if you're going for at least 10 days at a time or taking two trips of at least 4-5 days each and you do park hoppers. Don't forget to factor in Memory Maker. If it's something you always purchase then you can take that cost into account since APs give you free unlimited Photopass.

Iff you go for fewer days but utilize the discounts then maybe it still makes sense for you- but the discounts (especially on rooms) aren't always available for the resort you would have chosen anyway. Does that make sense?

APs don't affect dining reservations at all. Those can still be booked 180 days out, regardless of if you have a park ticket or room reservation. For FPs, if you're staying on site then you still get the 60 day window but otherwise you have a constant 30 day window that is independent of any hotel reservations.

I was looking for any information about when an AP makes sense

For me it is just about the money. And since we don't usually spend a lot on merchandise and dining I based most of my decision making on comparing the ticket prices. Once we started making two, 6 days trips per year with park hoppers it more than made sense for us to get AP's.

Only once in many years did I find an AP room discount for the location and dates I wanted to travel so I an glad I never factored that into the equation.

If you are staying off site the AP saves the daily parking fee which can add up.

how it works upgrading your tickets into an AP.

If you already have tickets you can upgrade at any ticket booth or Guest Relations. Make sure to have photo IDs available for every adult ticket holder.

Check out this thread for more info:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-tickets-upgrades.3570721/

how it works with dining reservations/FP+

what dolewhipdreams said above...

For us, it's a no-brainer:

- We go several times a year. Ticket prices alone make financial sense.
- The discounts on dining and merchandise add up.
- This a subtle one, but it matters: Having an AP makes a difference in whether you go to the parks on arrival dates or departure dates. We sometimes arrive at a resort at 7pm or so. Without an AP, we may decide an hour and half of park time doesn't justify "burning" one day's admission. With an AP, we dash over to Epcot, eat, and watch Illuminations the night we arrive without needing to consider that. Likewise, when our Magical Express doesn't pick us up until 2pm or so, we can go eat in MK or wherever on departure day without regard to using a day of a park pass.
- I run Disney races. For a few of them, the AP early registration can make the difference in getting in a race or not.

Last edited:

This a subtle one, but it matters: Having an AP makes a difference in whether you go to the parks on arrival dates or departure dates. We sometimes arrive at a resort at 7pm or so. Without an AP, we may decide an hour and half of park time doesn't justify "burning" one day's admission. With an AP, we dash over to Epcot, eat, and watch Illumiations the night we arrive without needing to consider that. Likewise, when our Magical Express doesn't pick us up until 2pm or so, we can go eat in MK or wherever on departure day without regard to using a day of a park pass.

Yes!

Of course it also tempts you into making the trip a day or two longer. And we won't mention the risk of tempting you into an extra trip.

k5xs, I am curious, is that also your amateur radio call sign?

Yes I am... WA1YHO

Cool. Just looked you up. Nice QTH (and mobile QTH!). Sad to say I couldn't make out any antennas.

I generally take an HT to WDW and kerchunk the WD4WDW repeater but in recent years it's gotten pretty quiet. I did manage to work them on 20 meters during the Florida QSO party and got a cool QSL card from them.

Cool. Just looked you up. Nice QTH (and mobile QTH!). Sad to say I couldn't make out any antennas.

Thanks... Not sure what picture you found but if it was recent the towers are currently down. Google street view still has a bit of a view of the old UHF/microwave tower. Can't quite see the HF/VHF tower. Maybe someday I'll get them back up. 73 for now...

Hi all,

I was looking for any information about when an AP makes sense, how it works with dining reservations/FP+, and how it works upgrading your tickets into an AP. I have very little info about AP’s and truthfully I find it confusing so any help is greatly appreciated!
With an AP, you get discounts on dining and hotel / resort rooms. For us (my wife and I), if we plan on going to go Disney twice in a 12-month period for a long weekend (say 3 - 4 days) then we figured it would be cheaper to get an AP instead of paying full price for everything. So, for us that is our decision on when an AP make sense.

Hi all,

We go and stay a week. We always do the park hopper. We did the math, and found if we went back within a year (we were going annually) it was worth it for our family to get the pass. There are perks to it--like special line into the parks, discounts, etc. but those were not factored into our decision at all. If you don't stay that long when you go, or go that often, or don't park hop, it might not be for you. It was quite nice this summer to have a less expensive trip because our tickets are already paid for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter