When to Book Flights?

MamaBear58

DIS Veteran
The never ending debate, I guess, but I don't have a lot of experience booking for a family of four, especially such a long flight. We decided to split it up...Philadelphia to Dallas, then Dallas to HNL. I have been watching for the 6 weeks or so that the flights have been posted. I haven't seen much change in price, but some economy seats are getting limited. We are looking for Premium Economy. Think it is time to pull the plug?? I'd love to see them drop (around $1226 RT now), but I hate to lose the chance to sit together either because, while not babies, will only be 12 and 9. Thoughts?

In my own experience, we had good luck booking a few weeks after flights were released, around the 9-10 month out mark. We booked in mid-November for travel the following mid-September. I was particular about our seats, flight times, and the airline so I knew I wanted to book early and I had singled out the Delta flight through Atlanta that I wanted. From the time of booking, the price only increased until the time we left. I believe we paid around $980pp round trip from Buffalo to Atlanta to Honolulu, and it went up from there.

Well that is exactly where we are now. I think flights were released sometime in Aug, and we are 9 mos 1 week out. I know the flight I want so I think I should just get it done. Thank you!

I use miles, but usually book 9-10 months out. I am guessing your on American? I'm booked one way on that flight first class (they have lie flat seats).

My kids have been over 10 times (and oldest was born there on Oahu), but I understand wanting to be together. Definitely going over the premium economy is nice. Coming home on the red eye is brutal (but I've done it a few times in economy, and in first with lie flat seats, which are much nicer). Now no way will I go economy, so we have first with lie seats booked round trip next time in April, but it's just the two of us (kids are in college and working).

If you can get nonstop near you, I'd look into that. Also there are a lot of other options, like through ATL on Delta.

My husband used the Hopper app to help him decide when to book. It will give you reports and urge you to wait or buy. Well...we did not listen to the app and long story short, we bought about 4 days too soon. We would have saved 1,000 dollars had we listened to hopper:(

We are going in Feb 2019 and booked our flights in July. Now we paid 584.00 RT per person x 2 Canadian so if doing exchange it would be about 420.00 US give or take a dollar... that is flying Toronto to Denver to Honolulu on United Airlines. No charge for seat selection and we are sitting together

Put a track on Google Flight. Look at the historic data and tried to predict when it dropped. It highly depends on the date (Xmas, spring break...etc). Personally I think 5-6 months out is the sweet spot. But you never know. Also considered going through ATL on Delta if it's not hurricane season.

BTW, there was a deal yesterday going from E coast to HNL for under $400. Check it out.
https://viewfromthewing.boardingare...rlines-new-york-dc-hawaii-from-339-roundtrip/

We are going in June. I already booked my husband's flight - 1st class on Hawaiian Airlines using points. But they keep sending me emails about fare deals... I will say that I have tried to do this trip 2x before an always missed my window to get the free flight on HAL.

I am waiting on booking flights for myself and my 2 kids to see when Southwest starts selling flights. I do believe that when Southwest enters the market the other airlines will drop their fares also. I hope I can get close to the same schedule on SWA as my husband has on HAL, use points and a companion pass, and then just have to pay for one airfare. We are also using points for 8 of our 10 nights. It would be all 10, but I want to spend 2 nights at Aulauni and that is killing me - $700 per night!!

If you're going in June, I wouldn't necessarily wait on Southwest to release their schedule. I'd keep an eye out and book when you find something comfortable.

I've been booked for next April since the summer.

I'm waiting for Southwest too...:coffee::coffee:

I'm also waiting for Southwest to announce for our June travel dates in 2019. Our companion pass and points should make all flights FREE. Granted how knows the number of points they will charge for a round trip ticket. Should release flights before years end it sounds like...

We are going in Feb 2019 and booked our flights in July. Now we paid 584.00 RT per person x 2 Canadian so if doing exchange it would be about 420.00 US give or take a dollar... that is flying Toronto to Denver to Honolulu on United Airlines. No charge for seat selection and we are sitting together

We Are also going in Feb/19 and purchased tickets in March/18. We are flying Toronto/Atlanta/Honolulu and since it is a long flight we booked Delta Comfort for $1,122 Cdn. The tickets are now $977 so I phoned Delta and they credited almost $250 Cdn into "My Wallet" on their website that must be booked by next March. We will use that for a weekend visit to see some friends in Florida in April. Usually the earlier the better but ot this time

i booked my flights for Feb 2019 in April 2018, about 10-11 months out. American Airlines, perfect times. 9am departure from Boston, into Honolulu around 4pm. Depart 4pm honolulu, arrive in Boston 8am next day. Then they changed it a couple times, then basically rearranged our flight times out of their plan in the past couple weeks. I was offered a full refund as basically zero flights American have now work for our schedule. Refund 4x$845

With this refund, I was able to book 4x$795 on Hawaiian airlines for the perfect times. I was pretty excited about this opportunity just 3 months out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!