When to Visit WDW: Summer or Fall 2019?

rhoni88

Earning My Ears
My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon at Disney World (which means I am), but I can't decide when we should go! I've lurked these boards long enough to see there's no true "slow time" anymore, but crowds are an important factor for me. We went August 15-20, 2017 and I really didn't feel like it was that crowded. It didn't even rain very much. My only comparison was the one day we went in June 2013 (yes, ONE day for a first trip to WDW... it was intense), which was both hot and super crowded, and ended with the biggest downpour I've ever seen.

Our wedding is memorial day weekend 2019, and I'm just not interested in going right after the wedding if it's going to be like it was in 2013. I'd much rather wait until a slightly less hot, less crowded week in 2019. I was looking at one of the last two weeks in October, but I'm not even sure about those!

So what would some good options be, based on these factors (listed in order of importance)?
  1. Crowds (moderate would probably be okay, low if possible)
  2. Weather (not usually insanely hot or stormy)
Please keep in mind it would have to fall between June to December 2019.

Thank you in advance for all of your knowledge and insight, it is much appreciated!

Star Wars land is slated to open 2019. I assure you it will be crowded.

It doesn't bother me too bad but if you're not a fan of hot and humid, avoid August-mid Sept.

I would choose right after thanksgiving for a few reasons:
1. Weather will be nice, should be fairly warm and out of the rainy season
2. Christmas decorations will be up -- this is a huge bonus as it sounds like you have never been at that time of year. Too see the castle draped in icicles is truly magical. It makes me tear up to see it (and i am not one to cry!)
3. This can be the calm week before things ramp up for Christmas. People are less likely to pull their kids out of school because they just had thanksgiving break. and those who went for thanksgiving would have already returned home.
4. Star Wars land should be open.

There is truly no slow time any more at WDW -- It seems with tiered ticket prices and any incentives or offers they now are trying to keep the parks busy year round.

First week of November? Not so hot, moderate crowds, F&W!

I would choose right after thanksgiving for a few reasons:
1. Weather will be nice, should be fairly warm and out of the rainy season
2. Christmas decorations will be up -- this is a huge bonus as it sounds like you have never been at that time of year. Too see the castle draped in icicles is truly magical. It makes me tear up to see it (and i am not one to cry!)
3. This can be the calm week before things ramp up for Christmas. People are less likely to pull their kids out of school because they just had thanksgiving break. and those who went for thanksgiving would have already returned home.
4. Star Wars land should be open.

There is truly no slow time any more at WDW -- It seems with tiered ticket prices and any incentives or offers they now are trying to keep the parks busy year round.

Holiday decorations are definitely a plus! That was why I was considering the last week in October, so we could see Halloween and the very, very beginning of Christmas decorations going up. It seems like the parks haven't been super busy that week the past couple years, but I'm basing that solely off of crowd calendars. Star Wars land would also be a bonus, I think. I was at California Adventure for the Cars Land opening, and while it was crazy, I survived! Pandora had only been open a couple months when we went last year. With careful park planning, I think it can be done without too much stress. Thank you for your suggestion!

October, if possible! Can still be hot/humid, but better odds than summer, for sure!!

I think the more I visit, the less jarring the humidity will be. I'm just used to the dry California heat. I'll never forget stepping off the plane the first time I went to Florida. I've seen some saying October has become a much busier month the past couple years, so that's my hesitation. Other than that, October is pretty much my favorite month for everything!

I forgot about F&W! I would love to be there for that at least once in the next few years. Thank you for reminding me!

My pleasure! F&W is a nice "Honeymoon" kind of activity, and of course it's been running from late August through to early November so you could probably find a time in there somewhere that would work for you. During F&W try to avoid Epcot at night & weekends, during the daytime on weekdays it's very manageable.:)

Our anniversary is 10/19 so we have gone a few times to celebrate at that time. The weather is great but it can be a little crowded in Epcot with the F&W. I like planning to be there foe Halloween and Christmas decorations

I think the more I visit, the less jarring the humidity will be. I'm just used to the dry California heat. I'll never forget stepping off the plane the first time I went to Florida. I've seen some saying October has become a much busier month the past couple years, so that's my hesitation. Other than that, October is pretty much my favorite month for everything!

Have to say born in deep south, but never get used to the humidity. I love it, but can't stay out in it long at all during the summer.

Can't say there are any slow times at Disney anymore. They've fixed that with various festivals, etc. April is our favorite month with F&G, also most school breaks are finished by end of month (depending, of course on timing of Easter).

We have often visited in August due to school and sports schedules. Mid-August onward is pretty good crowd-wise (although nothing is guaranteed), because many schools across the country return earlier than Labor Day. Of course, the weather is not the best, but there are ways to make the best of it. Disney has often offered Free Dining packages from specific dates in late August through December. Watch for an announcement sometime in mid to late April. We have also enjoyed visits in mid-November (before Thanksgiving) or in the first two weeks in December. Check out the website Mousesavers for packages and deals and sign up for the newsletter.

We will be traveling to WDW in 7 days and the weather has been pretty warm. My friend just returned and told me to pack more pairs of shorts. I was hoping it would be a bit cooler, but DH is thrilled! But it’s all good! :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter