When will the next extension of cruise cancellations happen?

Rob1872

DIS Veteran
Yesterday DCL extended the cruise cancellations to the end of April (previously April 12th).

What do people think? Will this be the last group of cruise cancellations or will they need to continue to extend the cancellations?

Obviously they don't want to get too far out in front of the date, since they want to resume as soon as possible AND they don't want to issue refunds if they can get people to reschedule instead.

My personal guess is that we'll lose May. I can't see the cruises resuming until there are ports ready to accept tourists AND there is some sort of agreement in place that cruise ships can return and disembark passengers even if there are infected people onboard. Everything will fall apart if we keep having cruise ships being told that they can't pull in. (Such as the two ships coming through the Panama Canal and getting resistance to docking in Florida.)

I'm REALLY starting to think my cruise at the end of May is a no-go; I just am not in a position to reschedule so I'll have to wait for DCL to cancel so I can get the refund.

My own personal guess- looks like one month at a time? They don't want to get to far in front of it in terms of managing the cancellations/refund? Speculation on my part. Early Alaska (before July), Hawaii, my own cruise to Italy/Greece. They all won't go. Just a matter of time. I have disney air tied to my reservation, so if I cancel, the air cancels. Waiting to see what happens if they cancel. I would take a voucher at this point, but it will probably be a loss on that.

Will this be the last group of cruise cancellations or will they need to continue to extend the cancellations?

They will absolutely need to extend.

Dover isn't going to be allowing embark/disembark. Canada is closed until 7/1 and that includes Vancouver port. Hawaii requires a 14-day quarantine on arrival. Italy and Greece aren't allowing docking. Most of the Caribbean isn't allowing docking, including the Bahamas. Even Florida is screening at borders and airports for persons from certain states.

They'll be cancelling a lot more.

I think it will most likely extend and extend. Even if they were to tell me they are good to go for June/July, anytime this year, as much as we love cruising, it will take a long time before I will go on a cruise :sad1:

We're probably talking September at the earliest. Not only would the US need to see a significant decrease but also the port countries. China went on major lockdown and their basketball league is still postponed indefinitely even with a decrease in cases

I think the next extension will be in 2 weeks...with a 2 week extension...so cancelling cruises up to mid-May. So far they seem to be cancelling 2 weeks at a time, so that the call centers (which now have everyone working from home) can keep up. No idea how long they'll keep doing the 2 week extensions...but yes, they'll need to do something about the Alaska and Mediterranean sailings.

Next extention will be in two weeks and until 5/10, as they're due to move the Magic to Europe 5/11.

Last edited:

I think it's unquestionable that there will be no cruising in April, and I also think there will probably be little or no cruising in May. Come June, I think the situation with cruises and other vacation destinations in general is uncertain. I think a lot will depend on whether or not the virus turns out to be seasonal, and on political and economic factors: whether or not our nation's (and other nations') leaders will continue to support the country/world being shut down indefinitely in an attempt to suppress a virus. We won't know until we get there.

Canada and Europe might end up easing currently scheduled restrictions if the virus turns out to be seasonal: I think that's one reason DCL is not already cancelling all of those itineraries. But, they might not. No way to know this early on. I think the month of April will tell us, and DCL, a lot about what late spring and summer will be like.

Next extention will be in two weeks and until 5/10, as they're due to move the Magic to Europe 5/11.
I'm on the Magic 5/4 and just got my luggage tags today. Maybe??? I'm ok of it cancels and my travel agent has my rebooking info. Supposed to go to Key West but if that cancels I'm ok with 2 days at Castaqay 😁

I think it will be soon, Carnival cancelled their Europe today thru November 1, there's no way the Magic is going over there. We are supposed to be on the Dream May 25, and I am pretty sure that won't happen. We were to be on the Magic on the May 23 sailing but I canceled it when it first became avaliable.

I have a trip to Disneyland Paris in late June - I think that is 40/60 (go/no go). I have a DCL cruise in September out of PC, I would say 70/30 (go/no go). I had read that high humidity doesn't seem to be ideal for the virus, so Florida in July and August may be the safest place to be as it is about 100% humidity all the time.

Southern Europe won't be easing restrictions a y time soon. Neither will Vancouver.

With Florida's 30 day stay at home announced yesterday I imagine they'll go ahead and cancel the cruises in april soon. We are on 4/30 so just waiting since it seems official that won't happen

Don't forget as well the Bahamas is closed to non-residents at this time. Sure a bunch of the other islands are as well so not really sure where any of the ships will go until mid to late summer. That means no Nassau. No Castaway. As much as they rely on tourism, they can't afford to deal with the health care costs associated with additional imported cases.

Until cases are essentially zero for a period of time I wouldn't expect international borders to start openning up again to tourist travel. Even the July 1st date for the Alaska cruises I think we can call aspirational. Remeber it just isn't the ban on cruise traffic, there is essentially a ban on non-essential travel (i.e. recreational) between Canada and the U.S. If we (Canada) or you (U.S.) are still dealing with active outbreaks and cases that will likely be extended.

Don't forget as well the Bahamas is closed to non-residents at this time. Sure a bunch of the other islands are as well so not really sure where any of the ships will go until mid to late summer. That means no Nassau. No Castaway. As much as they rely on tourism, they can't afford to deal with the health care costs associated with additional imported cases.

Until cases are essentially zero for a period of time I wouldn't expect international borders to start openning up again to tourist travel. Even the July 1st date for the Alaska cruises I think we can call aspirational. Remeber it just isn't the ban on cruise traffic, there is essentially a ban on non-essential travel (i.e. recreational) between Canada and the U.S. If we (Canada) or you (U.S.) are still dealing with active outbreaks and cases that will likely be extended.

Cases will not be essentially zero until a vaccine is released. That will not be until this time next year, if we are lucky. I doubt cruises will be shut down for that long.

Carnival has canceled all of its Europe season and San Francisco season until the end of the year. They are a bigger company with more people working the call center. DCL is tiny in comparison and will only cancel in 2 week increments so they can handle the call volume. I don’t look for ANY cruise line to go on ANY sailing in 2020.

Yesterday DCL extended the cruise cancellations to the end of April (previously April 12th).

What do people think? Will this be the last group of cruise cancellations or will they need to continue to extend the cancellations?

Obviously they don't want to get too far out in front of the date, since they want to resume as soon as possible AND they don't want to issue refunds if they can get people to reschedule instead.

My personal guess is that we'll lose May. I can't see the cruises resuming until there are ports ready to accept tourists AND there is some sort of agreement in place that cruise ships can return and disembark passengers even if there are infected people onboard. Everything will fall apart if we keep having cruise ships being told that they can't pull in. (Such as the two ships coming through the Panama Canal and getting resistance to docking in Florida.)

I'm REALLY starting to think my cruise at the end of May is a no-go; I just am not in a position to reschedule so I'll have to wait for DCL to cancel so I can get the refund.
I would really love if we could rally DCL to allow people whose cruises get cancelled to purchase placeholders during the week the cruise should have happened (obviously, if already cancelled, purchase within a week of the offer annoucement). It's a win-win for everyone - bring in revenue for them, gives people the needed discount to utilize during these uncertain financial times for future cruises, allows cruisers one of the benefits that they would have had, but couldn't get.

I would not be surprised if the Magic crosses the Atlantic but I would be surprised if it has passengers.

I'm on the Magic 5/4 and just got my luggage tags today. Maybe??? I'm ok of it cancels and my travel agent has my rebooking info. Supposed to go to Key West but if that cancels I'm ok with 2 days at Castaqay 😁

I honestly think this is either just autopilot on their part or part of the great game of "chicken"--trying to get people who are not comfortable cruising in May to reschedule now before DCL cancels it and has to offer a refund or "bonus" FCC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter