Where else to stay in Hawaii?

LisaC2236

Earning My Ears
Planning a trip to Hawaii Aulani in April with my five children (19 to 29)and two grandchildren 4 and 5. Wanted to do 10 days but don't want to stay in Aulani the whole time. Any suggestions where else I should stay.
Lisa

Are you looking to stay on Oahu? If so, given the size of your group probably easiest to stay in a timeshare resort (for the two bedroom), so would recommend either the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club (if you want to stay in Ko Olina) or the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which can get crowded, but had excellent facilities, and is walking distance to everything in Waikiki. If you want to try a different island, that opens up a whole other set of possibilities....

Are you looking to stay on Oahu? If so, given the size of your group probably easiest to stay in a timeshare resort (for the two bedroom), so would recommend either the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club (if you want to stay in Ko Olina) or the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which can get crowded, but had excellent facilities, and is walking distance to everything in Waikiki. If you want to try a different island, that opens up a whole other set of possibilities....
Thank you for getting back to me. My party is going to be 10 or 11. I am open to anything. I want to experience the best trip I can in those 10 days. So I would like to try different islands.

Planning a trip to Hawaii Aulani in April with my five children (19 to 29)and two grandchildren 4 and 5. Wanted to do 10 days but don't want to stay in Aulani the whole time. Any suggestions where else I should stay.
Lisa

I would split the trip with Maui if you want to visit another island. With little kids I would stay near Lahaina or the Kaanapaili area of Maui. But personally, I'd stay in the Waikiki area for a few days then go to Aulani and stay on the same island.

If you do end up staying on oahu, I loved the outrigger waikiki on the beach. We stayed for 2 weeks on honeymoon last year and loved our stay. It's right in the middle of waikiki and you walk out of the hotel on to the beach. It's a busy area and close to loads of shops and restaurants and only half an hour walk from ala moana centre.

We stayed the entire week at Aulani, but next time we want to extend and do a split say 5 nights Aulani, 4 nights Maui.::yes:: ENJOY beautiful Aulani!:thumbsup2

Have you considered a cruise? Might not be what you are thinking but I thought I would just throw it in there. We did a cruise around the islands on Pride of America ( NCL ) it is 1 week and one of the highligts of my life.

Love all the other islands, but for a 10 day trip it might be tight on time, and air fare will add up for 10 or 11. However, if you still would like to try, best idea is pick which island. Each is very different and have their own special flavor. The way I've always explained it is Kauai is for natural beauty and the slower Hawaiian pace. There I would recommend anything in Poipu, particularly the Hyatt Regency. The Big Island for Volcanoes and waterfalls (and lots of driving). There, stay a night in Volcano House in Volcanoes National Park, and a couple of days in Waikoloa (lots of Hiltons there include a timeshare Kingsland). Maui for water and outdoor activities and depending on season whale watching. Would recommend just about anything in Kaanapali and the Grand Wailea if you really want to splurge. Lanai is for luxury and isolation--a beautiful Four Seasons there. Also recommend you pick up the Hawaii 'Revealed' book for whatever islands you go to--best guides I've found. Hope this helps.

Ko Olina Beach Club villas,right across the field from aulani,not to be confused with Marriott vacation club further down the walkway.They have 3 bedroom units as well.

Inter-island flights are ridiculously expensive! I don't know where you are coming from but take into consideration to fly to one of the outer islands first and then wrap up your trip with 'Oahu/Aulani, if you plan to do outer island. For instance, it is higher for me to fly LAX to HNL than it is for me to fly LAX - KOA - HNL. So, my family and I usually stay a few days on BI with family then head on to Honolulu. If you decided to stay on 'Oahu the whole time, check out vrbo. You can rent a home or condo for your family. If you want to stay in the Kapolei area, Ko Olina has plenty of owners who rent out their homes on vrbo. We stayed in Ko Olina Kai in a 3 bedroom condo a few years back.

I agree with the other posters about 10 days being tight for going to another island. You have traffic, airport security etc which makes the quick flight into at least a half day of travel. I would split the stay between Aulani and maybe a condo up in the North Shore at Turtle Bay. VRBO has many options, this is just one quick example https://www.vrbo.com/489351#photos this one sleeps 6 but maybe you could two units or something like this right inside the Ko Olina resort compound which is two villas that sleep up to 14 https://www.vrbo.com/110100#photos

Last edited:
Love all the other islands, but for a 10 day trip it might be tight on time, and air fare will add up for 10 or 11. However, if you still would like to try, best idea is pick which island. Each is very different and have their own special flavor. The way I've always explained it is Kauai is for natural beauty and the slower Hawaiian pace. There I would recommend anything in Poipu, particularly the Hyatt Regency. The Big Island for Volcanoes and waterfalls (and lots of driving). There, stay a night in Volcano House in Volcanoes National Park, and a couple of days in Waikoloa (lots of Hiltons there include a timeshare Kingsland). Maui for water and outdoor activities and depending on season whale watching. Would recommend just about anything in Kaanapali and the Grand Wailea if you really want to splurge. Lanai is for luxury and isolation--a beautiful Four Seasons there. Also recommend you pick up the Hawaii 'Revealed' book for whatever islands you go to--best guides I've found. Hope this helps.
OMG that helps so much thank you!!

I agree with the other posters about 10 days being tight for going to another island. You have traffic, airport security etc which makes the quick flight into at least a half day of travel. I would split the stay between Aulani and maybe a condo up in the North Shore at Turtle Bay. VRBO has many options, this is just one quick example https://www.vrbo.com/489351#photos this one sleeps 6 but maybe you could two units or something like this right inside the Ko Olina resort compound which is two villas that sleep up to 14 https://www.vrbo.com/110100#photos
Thank you so much great idea to stay in a vrbo

Inter-island flights are ridiculously expensive! I don't know where you are coming from but take into consideration to fly to one of the outer islands first and then wrap up your trip with 'Oahu/Aulani, if you plan to do outer island. For instance, it is higher for me to fly LAX to HNL than it is for me to fly LAX - KOA - HNL. So, my family and I usually stay a few days on BI with family then head on to Honolulu. If you decided to stay on 'Oahu the whole time, check out vrbo. You can rent a home or condo for your family. If you want to stay in the Kapolei area, Ko Olina has plenty of owners who rent out their homes on vrbo. We stayed in Ko Olina Kai in a 3 bedroom condo a few years back.
Were coming from NY and I was thinking we would want to go at least to one island before we go to Aulani. I just think 10 days may be to long in Aulani

We stayed the entire week at Aulani, but next time we want to extend and do a split say 5 nights Aulani, 4 nights Maui.::yes:: ENJOY beautiful Aulani!:thumbsup2
That's what I was thinking but Maui is so big. It's so confusing were to go. Was there enough to do at Aulani for one week

That's what I was thinking but Maui is so big. It's so confusing were to go. Was there enough to do at Aulani for one week

Just back from a trip to Oahu and Maui last month. We stayed a week on each island. If you haven't been to Oahu before, there's plenty to see and do on the island for 10 days. If you've been to Oahu before and just want to relax at Aulani then I'd recommend splitting your stay between Oahu and Maui.

It was our first time to Oahu and Hawaii for that matter. We did Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach, Kualoa Ranch, which our family considered to be the highlight of our trip. We love to relax on the beach and at pools, so yes, with Aulani being such an gorgeous resort, there is enough to do for a week. ENJOY!:woohoo:

Our experience is actually the opposite. We'r doing two separate inter-island flights. One was $89/person and the other was $100/person. We didn't find that expensive at all, both on Hawaiian Airlines. For us coming from the East Coast, it was much cheaper to fly in and out of Honolulu round trip so we are doing inter-island flights in the middle.

I may be in the minority but I personally don't think 10 days is too short to do two islands. We're doing 4 days in Maui and 6 days at Aulani next month and while we may not see all of Maui, we are ok with that. We've picked out a few of the main things we want to do, and we'll still experience some of the island. While you do have to contend with commute time, security, etc., the airports except Honolulu are relatively small. You may also want to look at Kauai as an option instead of Maui if you're looking to conserve time - the Maui airport is about 45 minutes from the Lahaina/Kaanapaali beach region, but in Kauai, there are some nice resorts within 5 minutes of the airport.

Our experience is actually the opposite. We'r doing two separate inter-island flights. One was $89/person and the other was $100/person. We didn't find that expensive at all, both on Hawaiian Airlines. For us coming from the East Coast, it was much cheaper to fly in and out of Honolulu round trip so we are doing inter-island flights in the middle.

I may be in the minority but I personally don't think 10 days is too short to do two islands. We're doing 4 days in Maui and 6 days at Aulani next month and while we may not see all of Maui, we are ok with that. We've picked out a few of the main things we want to do, and we'll still experience some of the island. While you do have to contend with commute time, security, etc., the airports except Honolulu are relatively small. You may also want to look at Kauai as an option instead of Maui if you're looking to conserve time - the Maui airport is about 45 minutes from the Lahaina/Kaanapaali beach region, but in Kauai, there are some nice resorts within 5 minutes of the airport.
Thank you for all the info I love your ideas. Have a wonderful time. I may pick your brain when you get back if it's not too much trouble. Lisa

It was our first time to Oahu and Hawaii for that matter. We did Pearl Harbor, Waikiki Beach, Kualoa Ranch, which our family considered to be the highlight of our trip. We love to relax on the beach and at pools, so yes, with Aulani being such an gorgeous resort, there is enough to do for a week. ENJOY!:woohoo:
Thank you for all the information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter