Where to dine in Hollywood Studios

Has anyone used the Skyliner to go to dinner at a resort? How long does it take? My last trip was in April 2019 and the skyliner wasn't open yet.... We are staying at AoA next time but wondering if it's worth it to shoot somewhere else and then come back... don't love the dining at HS although you guys ARE tempting me to try Mama Melrose.

50's or Sci-Fi...I have a now 5 yr old and we went to Hollywood and Vine 2x. Even though there's characters there, we're in no rush to go back!

Brown Derby is by far the best food in HS. It can also accommodate a large group and picky eaters.

Based on your exact situation, I would recommend keeping SciFi for lunch and either Brown Derby or 50's Primetime for dinner. SciFi can do large groups, you'll just be further away from the TV and not in a car. 50's Primetime has simple food and fun waitstaff. They can also do a large party, but you won't be at one of the kitchen tables, just a normal table.

Eating 3 full meals a day in Disney is a feat in itself

have you done the DxDP before?
We have a split stay, so we’ll be using some of our meals on checkout day, and we have a couple double point meals in there, like dinner at California Grill for fireworks.

Sci fi atmosphere is really cool, my kids loved it, and so nice on a hot day. Hollywood and Vine’s food is meh, but the character interaction is very good.

We loved MM! Different strokes and all... my favorite meal ever was there- the saltimbocca... Devine!

It's fun there if you enjoy getting yelled at while you eat, etc. etc. - if you're looking for a calm meal, don't go there.
We have been and we weren't yelled out. I think they "read" the table. Two adults in their early forties at the time with no kids.

HS just has nothing for my family. Brown Derby is too fancy for us in a theme park and for us the rest of the food is just...there. Sci Fi and Prime Time are both experiences but we prefer sitting together and having normal service.

Typically we plan for a dinner at Epcot or a resort on HS day. The skyliner is incredibly easy if you want to try that.

Another option would be to go to one of the Boardwalk area restaurants. We really enjoy Beaches and Cream as well as Ale and Compass. We aren't dining plan people so I cannot attest to their "value" but both are one credit options that actually focus on the food :D

I would do this. The food at HS is really only okay, and I think the Boardwalk area gives a nicer set of options and it is a nice break from the parks, especially since Sept can be HOT. Having the option to walk or take the boat is nice too.

Beaches and Cream is a good bet as well as Trattoria al Forno. And then your ice cream choices are all delicious in that radius with B&C and Ample Hills right there.

How long do you feel like this takes to do? Putting aside having no clue what the parks will be like in September bc of the virus, on a normal day, wouldn’t it be very time consuming to leave the park & come back? I feel I may have my day a little too jam-packed. I want to get there before opening to join a boarding group for ROTR. I want to ride most importantly besides that, SDD & MFSR. I want to sign up my son for Jedi Training. I made reservations for BOTH Savis Workshop & Droid Depot. And if I dont change my dining location, its the Fantasmic dining package so we’re planning on going to get seated for that at 7:30. Plus see if there are any other actual rides we could get in there of course! Is this all realistic? With a TS early lunch & dinner? Anyone have a day like this that worked out well? Obviously tired, but well lol?

Oh & meet characters too! HS is big for us bc my son would want to meet Buzz & Woody & ANY Star Wars characters, most importantly BB-8. Is it easy to meet characters in HS? We do have a Disney Visa, i saw something about character meet & greets in my welcome booklet.

I am opposed to doing a TS lunch and a TS dinner on the same day, even with DxDP. I would do Hollywood & Vine breakfast and then any other spot for dinner. We love Sci Fi, but it can be challenging with a large group. We did it as a party of 9 and we were on the other side from the rest of our group. Still in talking distance, but no one really conversed. Otherwise, 50s Prime Time is fun and unique to Disney, Mama Melrose is pretty consistent, and Brown Derby would be signature dining using 2 TS credits.

We do have a Disney Visa, i saw something about character meet & greets in my welcome booklet.
Last time we were there we were able to use our Disney Visa to meet Kylo Ren with no line. I think there was another - Chewbacca maybe? They do the special Disney Visa meets at Epcot too for Mickey and another one, but the characters are subject to change. Definitely take advantage, the lines are usually short or non-existent.

I've eaten at Sci Fi diner and really enjoyed it, however the seating does not make it a social setting for a family get together in my opinion.

I love Sci-fi for the movies and it's a fun environment but the food isn't that good. Its edible just not great. However, it's been so cold there on our two trips in February and May that we skipped it on our last trip. I'm talking freezing!
We had a really good dinner at Mama Melrose and we had a lot of fun at 50's. No yelling just fun.
We really like Docking Bay 7 but that's a counter service so it wouldn't be a good use of your credits.
With the Skyliner you could check out a lot of the resort restaurants. We had the deluxe plan last time we went and we ate at a lot of the places outside of the parks and found the food to be better and it was a nice break away from the parks. We loved Flying Fish at the Boardwalk but that's 2 credits.
* edit to say we did have breakfast at H&V and we thought the food was fine. Even though our youngest is 12 we had a lot of fun. Even the 17 year old had a good time. It might be different at lunch or dinner though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter