Where to stay for USH and other LA attractions?

losfp

Mouseketeer
Hi all, I'm planning to stay about 4 nights next September for our big family trip. We will be flying in from Alaska, and then proceeding down the road to Anaheim afterwards - I'm just not exactly sure where to stay in LA, we've always just either hit the road or gone straight to Anaheim from LAX.

I'd like to do a day at Universal, and also hit up some of the following:

- Pantages Theatre, if I can get tickets to Hamilton
- Exposition Park / Science Centre
- Outlets - perhaps Citadel outlets?

I didn't love LA traffic when I've been in the area, so I'd like to avoid driving if possible. Looking at the map, it appears that if we stay somewhere downtown, there's metro lines that go up to Hollywood and Universal, and also to exposition park, plus there's shuttles to Citadel outlets nearby.

Is the metro a safe and recommended way to travel in LA for a small family (2 adults, 2 kids - 4 and 9)? I'd like to be able to get to Universal early to maximise park time.

Or am I better off trying to stay a couple of nights near Universal, and then transferring closer to downtown before getting a shuttle/private shuttle to Anaheim for our Disneyland days?

If you're used to taking public transit in other large cities it's really not that much different in LA, IMO. Downtown is somewhat less popular with families and more for traveling businessmen, conventioneers, and twentysomething hipsters, so you may want to also consider staying in the Hollywood area. The metro system is pretty easy to use; just remember to buy a TAP card and tap it before and after riding the trains.

I like the Hollywood area, a couple of my favorites are the Magic Castle Hotel and Orchid Suites, great location, and a nice room at a reasonable price.

Lots to see and do within walking distance.

https://www.latourist.com/index.php?page=hollywood-blvd-links

You could walk to the Pantages.

Universal is just one stop away on the LA Metro Red Line.

One ironic thing, without a vehicle, it is easier to get to the Citadel Outlets from Anaheim, since there is a good shuttle service multiple times a day.

http://www.citadeloutlets.com/shuttleanaheim

Stay at one of the Universal hotels, Sportsmen's Lodge or The Garland. All have shuttles to CityWalk or the park. There's a red line station at the bottom of the hill to get to Hollywood, with a station across the street from Pantages.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll look at the prices I can get for each area and see what happens.

Yeah if you stay anywhere near the red line, you've got super easy/fairly quick access to both the Pantages and Universal. Exposition park is also right off the expo line, which has a shared station downtown with the red line for an easy transfer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter