• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Where to stay in San Diego

littlelambie

Mouseketeer
I am trying to convine dh for us to take a trip to SD with ds in the spring. We would be looking to go to Legoland, possible the zoo, maybe a beach?? Where would be a good central place to stay? Looking for CHEAP!!

Try one of the many hotels in Hotel Circle - it's convenient to downtown, Mission Bay, and the beach...about a 40 minute drive to Legoland.

There's everything from Motel 6 to Day's Inn, Holiday Inn, Howard Johnson's, Travelodge, etc. there.

We just returned from a trip to SAn Diego and stayed at the Marriott on Hotel Circle. It was very close to the zoo, Sea World and Old Town. Legoland was just up the highway. The breakfast was included and great!

Have fun! :)

I'm sure it's too late, but if you want to do Legoland and the Beaches, I would stay in North County. Hotel Circle is a traffic nightmare and not a particularly "touristy" part of town (other than the fact there are tons of tourists because of all the hotels, but it's all freeways and shopping malls right around there). If you stay in Encinitas or Carlsbad you can enjoy less crowded beaches and be right by Legoland. There is also easy freeway access down to the zoo and wild animal park and Sea World. The Pacific Beach area and La Jolla are probably the most central areas to stay, but nice places are pretty pricey (and the really cheap no name places are pretty dive-y). North County offers more affordable accommodations that will get you closer to the beech, etc.

If you don't mind doing a timeshare tour, you can sometimes get a great rate at the Grand Pacific Palisades resort. It is in Carlsbad, right next to Legoland. Google the hotel and I think you will find a link to the special. It usually includes a couple of nights at the hotel and tix to Legoland. I think they also have a Sea World special. It will be a bit of a drive to the zoo/Sea World.

I think that a lot of people also find good rates through Priceline for the Mission Bay area. I'm not sure which hotels they book anymore, but you should be able to get some info by checking the forums at www.biddingfortravel.com.

Someone told me about this resort. Haven't been to it because besides getting very bad reviews, they state that you will need to attend the tour without children if you have any.

We stayed there once (we paid more and didn't do the tour) because of proximity to Legoland. It was fine, there just isn't a lot of service. The pool area was actually pretty nice (my son keeps asking to go back).

As to attending the tour without kids, all of the timeshare tours are set up that way. Usually they provide some sort of childcare for the kids (free while you do the tour). I'm sure you could call the hotel and ask. I would be shocked if they didn't have childcare, there were lots of kids there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter