Where to stay?

Garthilk

Mouseketeer
Flying out and will have 3 adults all three kids in tow for our first trip to WDW. DD8, DS6, DD4. Will be going March 2014, sometime around the last week I think. Was looking at Kidani AKV because I think the kids will love the animals. Our home is GCV so the WL isn't anything special. I'm hoping to get a 2BR.

This going to be a hard time to get a 7 months?

Any other resorts I should be considering for the best kids experience?

Wondering, does everyone just take the buses, or do people do a rental car? (IE those whom want to sneak over to HP world).

We haven't stayed at AKV yet, but our kids definitely want to stay there on our next trip. We stayed at OKW last October and loved it. It's less points than most DVC resorts and had a very relaxed Florida feel to it. I've read that the bus service there is good, but we had a car and were mostly doing non-park things.

If you want to visit Universal, I'd definitely get a car. But I'd also probably wait until your kids are a bit older. Ours were 9 and 7 when we went and our youngest was disappointed that she was too short for FJ in the WWHOHP. They enjoyed Universal Studios much more than Islands of Adventure.

End of March is typically busy because it is when many areas have spring break. Easter is late next year, so it won't be as crazy as this year, but I'd still expect large crowds. I would think at 7mo you could get AKV or resorts like OKW or SSR. BCV is popular with families because of the water park style pool area, but I'm not sure how hard it is to get at 7mo.

The last week of March and first week of April are probably the two most popular weeks for elementary and secondary education Spring Break, so it is a busy time. The resorts within walking distance to the parks may be tough to get, particularly BCV and BLT. If you call exactly at 7 months, you should be able to get AKV, OKW and SSR. BWV may have some availability as well.

Your kids are great ages for AKV. The pool area at Kidani is wonderful with a really cool splash area for the kids. The busses from AKV have always been good when we have been there. We like that they stop at Kidani first and are essentially empty. We usually use the bus service, although we may try renting a car with our next trip.

One perceived drawback to Kidani is that there is not a quick service restaurant at the resort. For quick service food, you need to go over to Jambo, which is easy to do using any of the park buses or the shuttle. QS has not been an issue for us.

The Kidani 1 and 2BR villas have 2 and 3 full baths, respectively, which may be a benefit with a family your size. BLT has the same set up.

Flying out and will have 3 adults all three kids in tow for our first trip to WDW. DD8, DS6, DD4. Will be going March 2014, sometime around the last week I think. Was looking at Kidani AKV because I think the kids will love the animals. Our home is GCV so the WL isn't anything special. I'm hoping to get a 2BR.

This going to be a hard time to get a 7 months?

Any other resorts I should be considering for the best kids experience?

Wondering, does everyone just take the buses, or do people do a rental car? (IE those whom want to sneak over to HP world).

The kids WILL love the animals at AKV - and there are a whole bunch of activities for them during the day and night at both Kidani and Jambo House ...

The only downside to Kidani is no CS restaurant - you'lll need to walk to Jambo House for breakfast, etc. unless you cook in the villa or wait until you get to a park.

You may be able to get away with a 1BR (and go for that Savanna View!) at Kidani - there's lots of room, and the kids can all fit into the sleep couch and chair in the living area. The problem you will have is keeping them out of the whirlpool tub in the Master bath!! :lmao:

We went to Isles of Adventure last November - it was a $40 cab ride (+ tip) each way from Kidani and took about 20-30 minutes. I have an almost finished TR on this in the DVC "Trip Report" section ("Visiting ... First Time ... Now a TR" - something like that ... :) ) All but the oldest of your kids are probably a bit young/small for most of the "thrill" rides at IoA - especially the Harry Potter ride ... :scared1:

Let me know if you have any more questions about AKV or IoA ...

Hiya, neighbor! :wave2:As a DLR vet, I'd recommend getting a car if you're going to stay at AKV. We found the buses to be ... limiting and frustrating given how spoiled we are at VGC, accustomed to just walking into the park. We got a car for the second half of our last trip, and we liked it so much better, not waiting for buses or going on somebody else's schedule, that we're getting a car for the entire trip this year. It might be cheaper to take a shuttle from Disney World to Universal, I believe there are several companies including Mears that has them, but the convenience of having a car inside Disney World itself is just wonderful.

From the VGC lover's perspective my original top resort choices were Bay Lake Tower and Animal Kingdom Villas for the similar room layouts to our home resort. If BLT is available at your 7 month, I'd highly recommend it since you can walk to MK and monorail to Epcot, and the views and rooms are just stunning, IMHO.

One of the Epcot resorts might be something to consider for the location if they're available at 7 months. We chose Beach Club this year for the spectacular pool and proximity to Epcot at DHS, which are our favorite parks because they're so different from DLR. I still can't get over how far everything in Florida is compared to DLR and how much longer it all takes. My DS7 really liked BWV last time.

FYI, With 3 adults and 3 kids, a 1BR will not be possible (max occupancy 5 +1 infant under 3)

If you are used to DL (where all parks are walking distance from GCV) you may want to consider the park proximity of the EPCOT area (BWV/BCV) or BLT.

I always take busses even though i drive to WDW, as I prefer the "park it and forget it" vacation state of mind ;). Others don't mind dealing with the teams in the parking lots and traffic on the roads...so it depends on how much you relax vs how impatient you are ;)

I would do AKV and rent a car. A 2 bedroom at 7 months shouldn't be impossible. Of course being flexible on dates would help.

Easter is late next year (4/20), so spring breaks might be all over the map. If you can avoid a popular spring break week, that is best.

With younger kids, a car can help. It makes getting back to the room for a midday nap or swim much easier.

Thanks for all the replies.

The convince of a vehicle is something I'm definitely going to consider. I hadn't been thrilled about BLT, but I'm open to the idea. We want to be there for my oldest daughters 8th birthday, so the dates are somewhat fixed. So I imagine we'll be getting whatever resort we can snag a 2BR in for those dates. Hopefully we don't collide with spring break.

My only thought hesitation about getting a vehicle is then having to pack booster/car seats and flying those out. In California you have to be 8 years old and or 57" before you're out of a car seat. Looks like Florida's laws might be a bit more relaxed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter