Where would you go?

nik76

Mouseketeer
We are in Cali for 10 days. We have 8 days of Park Hoppers just in case, even if we wanted to pop in for an hour or three... However certain people in the group aren't as Disny as others. We are planning on a day at Sea World as well. We might rent a car and stop at the beach... I dunno. Anyway the other parks we are thinking og:

Universal
Legoland
Knotts Berry Farms

4 adults, a 14 yr old boy, a 7 yr old boy, and my 5 yr old boys.
Husband and I are both overweight (3X's). Which is the best option that will entertain the kids and still be a place the larger adults can participate?

Legoland would be great for the 5 and 7 year olds but unless the 14 year old is really into legos it's probably dull for him. The lego mini-land is cool for all ages, but the rides are all very tame.

If you've every done Universal in FL then you should probably skip the one if CA. If not it may be worth a day - although there you'll find the 14 year old more entertained than the 5 year olds ( there is a play area though).

Knotts has mostly thrill rides and for real little ones Camp Snoopy so it might please both age groups although I'm not a fan - it's lost a lot of its personality.

You should do a beach day if the weather is good. Being So Cal you'll need a car to get almost anywhere.

A lot of folks like to see Hollywood - the El Capitan theater/Disney Soda Fountain and the Chinese theater with the footprints and the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You could do a day around those. Poke around this board - you'll find lots of advice on what to see in LA!

I think that Legoland is nice novelty but overall will not be super entertaining for the 14 year old unless hes an aspiring engineer! But I think that the whole family would like universal there are certain aspects that your not gonna get in Florida. I definitely think the back lot tour is something unique, you get to find out where a lot of the magic in Hollywood is going down. Knotts would be a good choice for the whole family its always a good time, although they will be running Halloween Haunt during late Sept and all of Oct so may cut your day short.

Legoland would be great for the 5 and 7 year olds but unless the 14 year old is really into legos it's probably dull for him. The lego mini-land is cool for all ages, but the rides are all very tame.

Agreed. It is not really designed for anyone over say age 10, so only the younger boys will get to ride everything. DS4 loves this park. DH and I do love visiting the lands. There is a great one of Vegas (where we're from).

If you've every done Universal in FL then you should probably skip the one if CA. If not it may be worth a day - although there you'll find the 14 year old more entertained than the 5 year olds ( there is a play area though).

I would check it out. It is not exactly the same as the one in Florida. The backlot tour alone makes it worth the trip but there are so many other attractions to enjoy.
Knotts has mostly thrill rides and for real little ones Camp Snoopy so it might please both age groups although I'm not a fan - it's lost a lot of its personality.

Agreed again. I like it a little more than this poster and would suggest spending a day here. My Dad was turned away from some rides when he was 3X but was fine at 2X. There may be some close calls here.

You should do a beach day if the weather is good. Being So Cal you'll need a car to get almost anywhere.

The beaches are nice, but I am assuming you have a GO card. If so, go to the beach next to the Santa Monica Pier. That way, you can do both.

A lot of folks like to see Hollywood - the El Capitan theater/Disney Soda Fountain and the Chinese theater with the footprints and the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You could do a day around those. Poke around this board - you'll find lots of advice on what to see in LA!

The food at the Disney Fountain is not great but DS loved eating there. It is overpriced for the value. I would still do it again though. Both Manns and El Capitan are great places to take in movies. The experience you get at the El Capitan is worth the higher prices charged. There is always a little event across the street at the mall after the movie.

If it is 8 pure days, I would suggest them like this.

Day 1 Legoland
Day 2 Hollywood or Santa Monica
Day 3 Universal
Day 4 Knotts Berry Farm
Day 5-8 Disneyland

I know Magic Mountain was not on your list. If you can work a trip to Magic Mountain in, I would. Buy some (MM) fastpasses and go at least one day, preferrably two. Since Disneyland will likely be the most enjoyable for the entire group, I suggest you save it for last. That way, you can even add a second day to another park if you really want to do more there. It is very easy to get last minute ADRs at Disneyland if you change your mind. Have fun.

Thank you so much And it's helpful that you are all basically on the same page.

One other question - what is a GO card?

We actually only have a 6 day park hopper. We were going to do citypass, but decided we wanted more days and at the time thought we'd only do one other place.

If you decide to do all the attractions offered by the citypass, don't be deterred by the 3-day only park hopper for DLR. When you get there, you can always upgrade the 3-day to a 6-day park hopper for the difference. Guest Relations will be able to help you out.

If you decide to do all the attractions offered by the citypass, don't be deterred by the 3-day only park hopper for DLR. When you get there, you can always upgrade the 3-day to a 6-day park hopper for the difference. Guest Relations will be able to help you out.

I would do a cost comparison for anything you consider. It is much cheaper to upgrade your Disneyland tickets on the City Pass (make sure you do it before you enter the park on your last day), than to pay for all of the tickets separately. The CityPass is limiting, but you could purchase it and a GO card. Just weigh your options. Decide where you will go and purchase the cheapest options. If you only want the parks offered by CityPass, you can upgrade your reservation. Have fun!

Thanks all.

I've never even thought about Magic Mountain before. Universal has been a favorite of mine since I was little, way before any of the rides they have now. I just worry the lil ones would be too little or that I would literally be too big.

Knotts was fun when I went (about 20 years ago), again worried about my weight now.

Magic Mountain surpringly has a lot for little ones. Last trip, we were there all day and only rode one adult ride (well I did, DH stayed with DS). We need to go back though, because we forgot to take DS on Thomas the Train. The new rides have incredibly long lines thus a fast pass (have to buy them) would come in handy to ride them.

I went to Knotts in June. I am a size 18 and found some rides were tough. Mostly the little rides in Camp Snoopy. The good thing is that a copy of the seat is avaible in front of some of the thrill rides so you can judge if you can ride before you wait 45 mintutes in line. But I know it was not fun when I didn't fit and couldn't ride Woodstocks Airmail because the bar wouldn't lock.

This is off their website.
"Due to rider restraint system requirements, guests of exceptional size
may not be accommodated on some of our attractions. This may
apply, but not be limited to, guests who exceed 6’2” or those who
exceed 250 pounds, have a 46” waistline or 54” chest." And I am none of those and had a tough time on a few rides.

Thanks all.

I've never even thought about Magic Mountain before. Universal has been a favorite of mine since I was little, way before any of the rides they have now. I just worry the lil ones would be too little or that I would literally be too big.

Knotts was fun when I went (about 20 years ago), again worried about my weight now.
I went to Knotts 2 years ago and I am not thin and was able to ride most of the rides with our kids. There is alot to do for the entire family here. I love this park. I've been three times now:)

At the time our kids were 8, 10 & 13. We also went to Legoland and me and my daughter sat around while the boys rode rides because she was too old or tall. So, I wouldn't recommend it for the 14 year old he/she will be bored.

Universal Studios also has a lot for the entire family. They have a (kidsland) for the little ones and then other rides for the rest of the family.

I haven't been to magic Mountain for 20 years but all I remember was roller coasters.

I personally think Knotts is the best out of all of these parks for the entire family. They have panning for gold too:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter