Which has the better savannah views and animals? Jambo or Kidani?

TheMacys

The Macy Family
Trying to decide between the two, and being able to sit and watch the animals is one of the things we're most excited about. So, which one has the better views?

Never stayed at Jambo, but we had some great animal views from our Kidani room a couple of weeks ago. I requested a Sunset Savannah view- photo attached.

Attachments

• CDAD567D-C018-4E90-97FB-8E2489294F02.jpeg
    CDAD567D-C018-4E90-97FB-8E2489294F02.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 85
DVC stays on the fifth floor at Jambo house. The trees there get in the way of seeing the animals from your balcony.

As mentioned, all Jambo DVC rooms are on the 5th floor, so views are closer/better from Kidani.

There are two savannas visible from Kidani - Pembe and Sunset. The Pembe Savanna has some animals you won't find elsewhere, like okapi and warthogs. The Sunset Savanna is what most people think of (and indeed, what most pictures suggest) - zebras and giraffes.

If you want the best views of zebras and giraffes, choose Kidani and request a view of the Sunset Savanna.

You need to distinguish more than just between Jambo and Kidani. The largest savanna is Sunset and it serves both Kidani (about 80% of all Kidani savanna view rooms look at Sunset) and Jambo (about 1/4 of all rooms are on the outer part of Kudo Trail and overlook Sunset). Sunset is perhaps the best although Arusha savanna that is in the middle of the Jambo building is also excellent.

Part of Kidani also overlooks Pembe savanna, which many consider the worst of them all with its lack of zebras and giraffes, the reason that the most common request at Kidani is a savanna view room overlooking Sunset. Good but not as good as Sunset or Arusha is Uzima savanna, the smaller savanna at Jambo, which a portion of the rooms on the outer part of Zebra Trail overlook.

I Was leaning towards Jambo for the restaurants, but I'm glad I asked the question here!

Worth noting there's a shuttle running between both buildings about every 10 minutes and we've always found it pretty reliable, so that alleviates that concern a bit. There's also of course the walking trail.

I Was leaning towards Jambo for the restaurants, but I'm glad I asked the question here!
I agree with others. If you are looking strictly at the views, Kidani. Jambo has other strengths that lead to me to prefer it: My favorite lobby anywhere, much better giftshop, quick serve proximity, and Jiko/Boma. However, if view is your only criterion I'd recommend Kidani. Of course Kidani has other merits as well (laid back feel as DVC only, Sanna, etc.).

Jambo has the best Savanna (Arusha) but as others have said, DVC is on the 5th floor at Jambo, so the hotel rooms really get to enjoy this view. We’ve stayed at Jambo 2nd floor for cash and it was spectacular. We’ve also stayed at Kidani on points on a lower floor and it was very good as well.

Is 5th the top floor at Jambo? We prefer not having anyone staying above us if possible so if all DVC are top floor at Jambo then I'm sold.

I think the Sunset Savannah is excellent and, as has been said by others, it is visible from both Jambo and Kidani.

The difference is that Jambo DVC rooms are all on the 5th floor, and some people like the idea of being down closer to the animals, so requesting a lower floor at Kidani makes some people feel like they are right in the action. Kidani has DVC rooms on the 2nd through the 5th floors. (The 1st floor is the parking garage under the building.)

I personally prefer Kidani and I request a room closest to the Timon or Rafiki elevators. These are the closest elevators to the lobby, that are not in the lobby. Timon is to the south and Rafiki is to the north. If you get a Savannah room near either one of these, you will also be overlooking the Sunset Savannah. By requesting Savannah rooms close to these elevators, you also are, in essence, requesting a room that is close to the lobby and on the Sunset Savannah.

Worth noting there's a shuttle running between both buildings about every 10 minutes and we've always found it pretty reliable, so that alleviates that concern a bit. There's also of course the walking trail.

It takes around 5min to walk, so I prefer not to take the shuttle unless I really need to.

Jambo has the best Savanna (Arusha) but as others have said, DVC is on the 5th floor at Jambo, so the hotel rooms really get to enjoy this view.

I am curious about this, what makes Arusha the best? We've stayed at Kidani our last two trips to AKV and it's been a few years since we stayed at Jambo so this is genuine curiosity, it's likely just that it's been too long since we've been there for me to remember.

It takes around 5min to walk, so I prefer not to take the shuttle unless I really need to.

Agreed, I also prefer the walk, but I tried out the shuttle for the first time a couple weekends ago after running the half marathon, partially out of tiredness and partially to see what it was like.

Is 5th the top floor at Jambo? We prefer not having anyone staying above us if possible so if all DVC are top floor at Jambo then I'm sold.

I believe the 5th floor is the top floor, except if you stay in the Jambo building around the main lobby - then there is a 6th floor, where they have the Concierge area, and the DVC Club Level rooms.

Almost for all rooms. There is a sixth floor directly above the lobby which has the 5 lock-off 2BR club level rooms. The DVC rooms directly below it on the fifth floor are all standard view. For everywhere else in the building, the fifth floor is the top floor.

I am curious about this, what makes Arusha the best? We've stayed at Kidani our last two trips to AKV and it's been a few years since we stayed at Jambo so this is genuine curiosity, it's likely just that it's been too long since we've been there for me to remember.

Arusha, which I consider at least the equal of Sunset, is in the middle of the Jambo building, is neither too long and narrow like Pembe, nor overly large like Sunset. Thus, when there are any animals within the savanna, you can still easily see them even if they are on the other side of the savanna. Moreover, like Kidani on Sunset, it also has a pier walk-out area which, unlike Sunset, can be seen from all rooms. The animals often come to that area as a feeding site.

Last edited:
but it isn't a very pretty one though, just concrete and parking lots. Wish they would have done something nicer, and then extend it to AK.
This! They badly need some non-bus mode of tranpo from AKL to AK. Rumor has it the skyliner might do that someday,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter