Which is Cheaper 40% room or Free Dining??

Angielynne

Mouseketeer
I booked a trip for Nov 27th-Dec 5th at the Wilderness Lodge using a 40% off room pin code. I ended up only being able to get a woods view room because all the standard views were already taken :-(

If free dining comes out for that week....would it be cheaper to book free dining in a standard view...or to keep our woods view with a 40% off?

the reason I ask, is because if free dining is cheaper....I will be stalking for codes...if it's not, then I will just relax and not worry about it..

Any advice?

I say it depends on which resort category you are thinking about staying at. The 40% off is always going to be a better deal at the Deluxe Resorts, because with Free Dining you still end up paying the rack rate and that's why Free Dining is a better deal for the Value and Moderate Resorts.

I think it also depends on the number of adult and child diners in the room as well, as free dining is a benefit per person, vs. a blanket amount for the room.

Also, the fact that you are required to get tickets for FD as well, when you may already have some. But that is a cost that you can recoup later (since you can use/upgrade the tickets on a later trip). And whether you'd normally eat that much - i.e. would you pay for the dining plan anyways?

I just punched in dates, and got a woods-view room at WL for $310/night. 40% of that is $124.

I believe the standard dining plan is now nominally $46/adult, so 3 adults (that includes kids 10 and over) is $138. In that case the FD still seems like a win to me.

I think it also depends on the number of adult and child diners in the room as well, as free dining is a benefit per person, vs. a blanket amount for the room.

Also, the fact that you are required to get tickets for FD as well, when you may already have some. But that is a cost that you can recoup later (since you can use/upgrade the tickets on a later trip). And whether you'd normally eat that much - i.e. would you pay for the dining plan anyways?

I just punched in dates, and got a woods-view room at WL for $310/night. 40% of that is $124.

I believe the standard dining plan is now nominally $46/adult, so 3 adults (that includes kids 10 and over) is $138. In that case the FD still seems like a win to me.

That's the key, you have to do the math for your own situation.

That's the key, you have to do the math for your own situation.

Totally agree. Because my family is larger & 2 of my kids count as "adults" to Disney, the FD is our better deal.
For our dates in Dec. the savings for FD equals out to right at $1400 while the 40% discount equals just at $1100. Only $300 but, $300 is souvenir money! :cloud9:

For us when staying deluxe the room only is cheaper.. When we stay value the FD is cheaper..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter