Which parks? How long?

riostoker

Mouseketeer
My girls will be 14, 11, and 7 next year. We are contemplating a trip, about a week long to hit some of the S. California sites. Definitely a couple days at Disneyland, but other than that, I'm open to whatever - Universal, San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, whatever.

What would you recommend for girls those ages, and how many days at each location? Will the 14 year old be bored at some attractions? If so, which ones?

Also, is there an onsite DL resort that sleeps 5? That is always tricky at WDW, so I wasn't sure about DL.

Thanks,
ann

Getting a hotel room for a family of 5 is so much easier in DL area than WDW. Just like the deluxe hotels at WDW the official DL hotels all have the ability to sleep 5, of course just like WDW they cost more than the value/mod type motels across the street. We love the DLH though as it is unlike any other hotel Disney has. For a more economical hotel there are loads of motels across the street from DL which is actually even closer than the onsite hotels by a couple of minutes. There is a Fairfield Marriott, HOJO, Best Western plus many more than will sleep 5.

As far as parks go remember that DL has just as many if not more rides than WDW so it will take some time but the rides are also so close together that is so much easier. We like to spend 5 and still missed some due to a relaxed attitude. We have also done a lot on a 1 day trip too. As always check out Hydroguys thread on WDW vets travel guide to DL.

We really liked the San Diego Wild animal park. The zoo is nice but it is just that. Sea World does not have as many rides as it seems as Orlando. Mostly shows and such. If you are going to park hop to San Diego stuff I would suggest moving Hotels as with traffic a lot of time can be sucked up. I can not comment on Universal but was told again it is smaller than FL counterpart.

I will say next to DL our favorite thing to do is explore the beaches and sites of So. Cali. We always hit Laguna/Newport beach. (all about 30 minutes from Anaheim) Our next trip we are going to plan a whale watch. We stick mostly to Orange County or San Diego area. The actual LA area is interesting to say the least. We also absolutely loved the trip when we went up to Yosemite for 3 days. Would love to go back but we are traveling in Winter this time.

I need some other info to give my opinion. Are you planning on staying in the DLR area the whole week? If so, it makes getting to some of the other places you mentioned not very easy. Or will you move hotels to be closer to others options you have mentioned. Will you have a car? Do you want to only stay at the DL hotels, or are you open to the properties right across from DL? There are many that accomodate 5. Like the pp said, you can get rooms at the DL hotels for 5, but they are much more expensive than the properties on Harbor of which many are a shorter walk to DLR than the DL hotels.

If I know the answer to those questions, I have lots of suggestions. But don't want to elaborate until I know your plan more.

Three days in San Diego would be nice -- a day at Sea World, a day at the Zoo, maybe a day to go to the beach or explore the area (it's nice to have a break from standing in lines!)

Depending on the season, you might want three days at Disneyland. There is a lot to see! If you have to fly in or out of LA or want to do other things in the area, Universal would rank higher for me than as a very long day trip. It's a trade-off -- switch hotels several times or have 2-hour drives between LA-Orange County-San Diego for day trips.

Almost all of the rooms at Paradise Pier have a couch that makes into a bed -- not a hide-a-bed, more like a futon. It's pretty big -- either of your younger daughters would be fine.

PHXscuba

iwould suggest youget the so cal CITYPASS. it comes with 3days DLR park hopper,1day at universal and 1 day at seaworld. then if your looking for somewhere else to go I would suggest Knotts. they have a kids section as well as a lot of rollercoasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter