Who’s excited about Wine Bar George?

RCharnay

DIS Veteran
Ive been going over the menu all afternoon trying to decide how to best experience this evening. I reserved for July 5th and can’t wait to taste my way through this wine menu. Anybody tried it yet? Any wine dorks out here who have their fantasy evening in mind yet?

There are luckily several vineyards and even a new cider house within a half hour drive of our house. That said, George is a pass for us. $50+ for a plate of cheese & meats with crackers for 2 appetizer? $9 hummus. Yeah, but no. I'm sure it'll do well and others will rave. Curious about the wine "on tap".

I’m curious about George.... wouldn’t mind trying an ounce of SQN Grenache or Syrah. They definitely have a pretty good list and while $50 for a charcuterie for two is pricey ...what isn’t?

We are booked for September and can't wait to try the food and wines. I wonder how it will work if you're on dining plan, and one member of your party has dietary requirements - I guess we will see.

Also I was hoping he might offer some wine flights, but I don't seem to see those on the menu?

We are booked for September and can't wait to try the food and wines. I wonder how it will work if you're on dining plan, and one member of your party has dietary requirements - I guess we will see.

Also I was hoping he might offer some wine flights, but I don't seem to see those on the menu?
I’m hoping the “by the ounce” menu will allow us to do flights of great wines. I’m curious the level of expertise by the waiters. Do you think they will be certified sommeliers? Or at least a few on staff each shift?

I’m hoping the “by the ounce” menu will allow us to do flights of great wines. I’m curious the level of expertise by the waiters. Do you think they will be certified sommeliers? Or at least a few on staff each shift?

George is a Master Sommelier and said he will be in house as much as possible. He said there are several others who are certified and some more that will be taking the exam soon. So it sounds like they are really committed to making this a top- notch experience.

As a hopeless wine geek, I am really impressed by their selections since even the inexpensive wines are very well-chosen. And it looks like the high-end stuff is chosen for true excellence and not just status. Some of the pricing seems a bit out of whack (some relative bargains and some priced a bit out of line), but overall it looks really great.

Can't wait to try it!

Not many restaurants have multiple master sommeliers ...it’s a pretty rigorous qualifying process and they earn a good chunk of change. Good servers know enough about the wines they offer to handle just about any situation themselves. They know what pairs with what.... Sounds like they might have a few certifieds on staff, that would be nice.

Last edited:
Quick recommendation to catch the move “Somm” on Netflix to see the process of becoming a master Sommelier.

Not all that impressed with the wine list. Most of the selections are $20-$60 a bottle at our local wine store. $100 for a glass of Justin Isosceles? Halter Ranch Grenache Blanc for $17? Love these two Paso wineries but thats a bit steep but then it's Disney! Wine list certainly has some decent wines but I was hoping for better. Food seems absurdly high priced but will have to try as its hard to tell from the menu as to just what you get.

Quick recommendation to catch the move “Somm” on Netflix to see the process of becoming a master Sommelier.

Great movie! I have a nephew who is an Advanced Somm. He took the test for Master and now knows just what he needs to study. Hopefully will pass this year.

For the lighter side of wine watch the movie Sideways. It's what caused the Solvang/Buellton wine area in California to boom.

$100 for a glass of Justin Isosceles? Halter Ranch Grenache Blanc for $17? Love these two Paso wineries but thats a bit steep but then it's Disney!

Love Paso!

For the lighter side of wine watch the movie Sideways. It's what caused the Solvang/Buellton wine area in California to boom.

Send me to the Hitching Post any time!

I saw “Somm” and really enjoyed it. I also read “Cork Dork” by Bianca Bosker this summer and really enjoyed that trip through a year in life of a somm.

I agree the food seems too pricey. I’ll probably stick with a few small plates. I’m sure this will be a meal where I pair a dish to the wine and not the other way around.

I’ve been twice. I love it. The staff is very knowledgeable and George is pretty much always there to field any questions they can’t. He is big on Wine education and sharing his knowledge with his staff. The wines are great, I’ve heard the cocktails are on point and all of the food I’ve tried (hummus, spiced olives, Mac and cheese balls, big charcuterie board, skirt steak, fish and all three desserts) have been wonderful. Is it expensive? OF COURSE - it’s Disney. Wine is always expensive at restaurants and this is no exception but both of my visits have been delicious, perfectly intoxicating and well worth the money spent for fun evenings with friends and family.

Reactions: GAN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter