Who else has done their IEP?

kirstenb1

DIS Veteran
Hallelujah!!! Zoe's was yesterday. I get so dadgummed nervous the whole week leading up to them. It went fine---she is getting slightly more PT and OT next year, with a big emphasis on sensory diet. Each of her goals is related in some way to initiating interactions with others, actively participating in activities, etc.

We did have a setback. Our school district is tiny, and about 30 miles from Richmond. Last year Zoe qualified for ESY. This year, they are only doing it for 2/3 yr old special ed kids. I asked them if it was because they didn't have a teacher. One teacher is spending the summer with her new baby, and Zoe's teacher was in a car accident 2 weeks ago, and wont' be back til fall. Rural districts always have a hard time getting teachers to commute this far anyway.

They tried to say she had plateau'd, so was not at risk for regression. I told them I disagreed, but more to the point, there's no way they can convince me that not ONE of the 15 kids in the 2 classes meets eligibility. I told them that doesn't fly.

I told them I would teach it for free (no am not cert'd in SPED, but subbed long term in SPED preschool and elementary, and have known everyone at the school for many years, before Zoe was even born). This is a weird situation, but I really do like her teachers, therapists, etc, and would do this. It's only for 3 weeks, 3 hours a day. Zoe does fall apart during school breaks, and certainly does need ESY.

Anyway, we're still hashing it out. In the meantime, I'm looking around for other structured activities.

we did my son's renewal back in March. Didn't really change anything except to add in a few more homework tracking such and getting an extra set of books for home. Other then that he's still barely holding on to his IEP!

We had our CSE meeting last month. DS (7) is done with PT but we are okay with it. He is still getting OT which is what he desperately needs.

The thing we were happiest about is that they are bringing in the MATCH team to get him ready for 2nd grade. We have been trying to get him as far as we can with his handwriting but there is such a gap between his ability to write and his intelligence that they finally agreed to this. :cool1: No more screaming fits about writing. YEAH!!!!:)

DS's OT taught him cursive using the "Handwriting Without Tears Program". This year for mothers day he gave me a card written in cursive that I could read. I cried it made me so happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter