Why are all waterparks except Aquatica closed over Christmas?

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
I was really hoping to hit up some waterparks when we are there over Christmas, but everything is closed with the exception of Aquatica and Discovery Cove. We are doing both but the kids LOVE waterparks so was hoping to hit a few more good ones.

Disney’s water parks are closed until March 7 due to COVID-19. Universal’s park is closed until March 1. The web sites state that if the government changes their requirements, they may reopen earlier. My guess is they can’t make a profit with lower attendance and extra cleaning requirements so it was easier to close.

Winter is the low season for the waterparks too. Even if they were open, it's typical that several attractions may be down for refurb. I think Disney normally closes one down during the wintertime pre-Covid (correct me if I'm wrong).

Some resorts (both on and off property) have some nice waterpark-type setups. Might be worth looking into.

Personally, I think it is important during the winter to have a hot tub to warm up in, so I look for hotels with nice, heated swimming pools and hot tubs. This winter, some resorts have closed their hot tubs due to covid19, so if pools are important since the water parks have closed, make sure to call and find out the status and new rules. Things could change between now and December also.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek had a great selection of pools, hot tubs and lazy rivers which may be a good alternative this winter.

Aquatica is my favorite water park, but if the air temperature is low, it is very difficult to warm up there. Sometimes the water in the showers is cold, so you can’t rely on them to warm you up. They heat the water in the pools to about 86 degrees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter