Why did Disney build Aulani anyway?

I think it's very smart for Disney to build Aulani. Hawaii tourism on its own should be relatively stable (unless we've another 911 type thing). They can capture the Asian market. Frankly I think the DVC in WDW is way too saturated.

Maybe not. The president of DVC at the time got fired

Maybe not. The president of DVC at the time got fired

I believe he got fired for calculating the annual dues wrong for those who originally bought in to Aulani through DVC. After the mistake was found, he was fired and people who bought in after have their dues calculated differently, of course at a higher rate.

Not sure, but Aulani is the reason we bought DVC in 2011. We own at SSR, but we've been to Aulani twice with our family of four. There's no way we would have paid cash for the 2bd on our first trip (FIL came with us) or the 1bd on our trip this past summer. As much as we love WDW, it's Aulani that convinced us to buy DVC. We live in the Midwest, so it isn't an easy trip, but it is SO worth it!!

Not sure, but Aulani is the reason we bought DVC in 2011. We own at SSR, but we've been to Aulani twice with our family of four. There's no way we would have paid cash for the 2bd on our first trip (FIL came with us) or the 1bd on our trip this past summer. As much as we love WDW, it's Aulani that convinced us to buy DVC. We live in the Midwest, so it isn't an easy trip, but it is SO worth it!!

I think we are the minority. It was AUL as an option that ultimately made us take the plunge into DVC. I honestly wish there are more non-theme park DVC options (not counting exchanges). Without AUL, I certainly won't consider buying since all but one DVC resort are on the East Coast.

LAX

I think we are the minority. It was AUL as an option that ultimately made us take the plunge into DVC. I honestly wish there are more non-theme park DVC options (not counting exchanges). Without AUL, I certainly won't consider buying since all but one DVC resort are on the East Coast.

LAX
Same here! We bought DVC because of Aulani.

I've been to Disneyland, Disney world, Euro disney, and Aulani. Aulani has definitely been the best vacation ever. It's the only one that actually felt like a vacation. It was relaxing and I actually felt relaxed. I had always wanted to go to Hawaii but it being a Disney hotel convinced me. It was the perfect getaway for me where it also catered to kids.

LAX
what options would you like? beach cultural etc?

How many times have you walked by the DVC booths and see they have flipped to the Aulani pictures to display. I assume they felt WDW was getting saturated and they needed something else
Expanding outside of Disney has failed before. Just look at Hilton Head resales

Expanding outside of Disney has failed before. Just look at Hilton Head resales

I don't think you can use resale at a particular timeshare to determine whether it's a success or failure. To the developers, I think it's how quickly it can sell and how high of a price it can fetch. I don't know how the sales at HHI went initially, but it did sell out at some point. Sales at AUL have certainly been a disappointment to DVD and is likely considered a "failure." That perhaps explains why DVD has so recently built and planned only new DVCs near the parks.

LAX

I think Aulani represented a bridge to Asia and also the existing North American disney population. It’s probably a failure based on sale pace but with the way Ko Olina development is going The value of the asset will surely continue to go up. The Asian centric development planned in the area should ensure that Aulani is a consistent cash flow stream and should get busier over time.

For me the addition of Aulani was enough to make me buy. The option of 3 places to stay was enough variety to take the plunge. Otherwise I would have just comtinue to rent and bought a Hilton time share.

Disney seems like a company with an ultra long time horizon. I think in hindsight this will pan out quite well.

Disney did not build those!

Well, true, and they don't own them, but they are in partnership with the company that does and WDI provides all of the Imagineering and attractions and basically everything for it, so they have their presence there regardless.

How many times have you walked by the DVC booths and see they have flipped to the Aulani pictures to display. I assume they felt WDW was getting saturated and they needed something else
We live very close to WDW and are on property frequently. Most of the times the books are open to the current offerings in our experience.

The other mistake I feel Disney made was in overestimating Japanese and U.S. West Coast market demand for ownership at the resort.
I've been to Aulani 4 times now, with a 5th visit planned for 2018. Every time we've been to Aulani we have noticed a huge number of (presumed) Japanese visitors. I say presumed because unless I hear them speaking there's no way for me to tell if they are actually US citizens of Japanese decent, or natives of other Asian countries.

Went to Hawaii in 1992, and thought it was one and done. WRONG.

We have been to Aulani twice already, and have a RCCL cruise booking for September next year, and will definitely try to get a week in Aulani after that cruise. It’s an amazing property. I know they did not build Aulani just for us, but I am so happy they did build it!!

We come from NJ, quite a trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter