Why do they give out handicapped rooms to...

I also think it is unfair that there must be a 2BR lockoff available in general availability before we clear the hurdle to get to Special Services. Since any other guest would be able to grab a 2BR whether it be lockoff or not, why must we only be able to reserve if there are still lockoffs?

Are all of the HA rooms lockoffs?

Since the lockoff / dedicated status is guaranteed, they can't arbitrarily shift someone from a 2B lockoff to a 2B dedicated.

Are all of the HA rooms lockoffs?

Since the lockoff / dedicated status is guaranteed, they can't arbitrarily shift someone from a 2B lockoff to a 2B dedicated.

All the 2BRs rollin shower rooms are lockoffs.

There are also dedicated studios. The one Beca had with an armoire is an example of those. We've had those when we had single night stays with and without our DD. Those are also stacked and have tubs not rollin showers.

I believe I've also seen 1 BR accessible rooms on the maps but we've not been in those. People may not even notice those rooms are accessible as there would still be the whirlpool tub as well as the shower.

I understand that people can't be arbitrarily switched. But it seems fairer to me to have a pool of 5 2BRs at BCV which can't be guaranteed as lockoff or dedicated. That way those of us who need an accessible room aren't facing a double hurdle. That may be hard to do in reality though so perhaps make dedicated 2BR with 2Q as one option (not one we can hope for) and queen and sleeper sofa as the other with lockoff or not as only a request.

On our last trip to BCV, we were given an HC studio. Interesting thing (and, our saving grace with our dd) was it was an HC studio with a tub. We took our coffee table, and placed it kind of "under and beside" our bathroom sink to use for toiletries (this was actually a help because we needed our sleeper sofa and space was tight in the main room). So, that part wasn't bad at all. It was nice to have french doors in the room instead of sliding ones....it made for great views from the balcony.

The things I didn't like about the room were 1) the lack of closet space...the armoire just did not cut it, and 2) the lack of the "entryway" space...this is where we usually store our stroller and other items that we do not need in the room. Also, the kitchenette set-up was awkward.

I do not mind "taking one for the team" every once in awhile, but I hope I am not constantly being assigned one. Like others here, the CM told us it was not HC when we checked in. I absolutely believe they lie. But, what really bugs me is that these rooms were designed so poorly. A lot of what we complain about could've been avoided if these rooms had "perks" which would balance out their quirkiness. I think if the HC rooms were 30% larger, had larger balconies, a tub AND a separate shower in all rooms (even studios), and had REAL closets which were large enough to accomodate wheelchairs...snagging an HC room would be considered a GREAT thing. I hope WDW thinks about this when they build future resorts.
I agree Beca. The current "design" of those rooms doesn't work well for anybody. When we stayed in a HA studio at BWV, I thought about how I would cope with that room if I were actually mobility impaired. The tiny armoire was already so full of stuff (vacuum cleaner, pack'n'play plus linens, extra blanket) that there was no room for any clothes! I had to take all that stuff out and find other places in the room to stash it so that I could hang up my clothes. The glasses, cups and plates were in their usual place in the upper cabinets, completely out of reach from anyone unable to stand up. And how does it help someone with limited mobility to provide no storage space in the bathroom? We created some storage space for ourselves by bringing in the plastic table from the patio (after giving it a good cleaning) and laying a towel over the top of it and using that to hold our stuff. So after a bit of manual labor, we managed to make that room livable. If I were mobility impaired, how would I take care of all those tasks? How is it that putting in a roll-in shower and some grab bars in the bathroom but making the rest of the room more difficult for someone with mobility issues qualifies this as a HA room?

I came to the same conclusion as you did Beca. DVC should make the HA rooms nicer than the regular rooms. Make them really workable for the folks that need them with a roll-in shower, a sink that works for someone in a wheel chair with accessible storage, a large closet with poles at different heights, a kitchenette where someone in a wheelchair could actually reach the glasses, cups and plates, etc. But keep the tub, and provide some hanging space in the closet at the usual height for longer items as well. Sure the rooms would have to be larger, but they would be rooms that everybody would be happy to get. Of course then we'll probably start hearing about people requesting HA rooms that don't really need them but just want those larger, nicer rooms!

All the 2BRs rollin shower rooms are lockoffs.
=I understand that people can't be arbitrarily switched. But it seems fairer to me to have a pool of 5 2BRs at BCV which can't be guaranteed as lockoff or dedicated. That way those of us who need an accessible room aren't facing a double hurdle. That may be hard to do in reality though so perhaps make dedicated 2BR with 2Q as one option (not one we can hope for) and queen and sleeper sofa as the other with lockoff or not as only a request.

Although I can certainly sympathize with your dilema, BCV could potentially end up with rooms left over. If I want a lockoff and they have some left but can't garuntee me the room I will just book at another resort. I do however think they should be able to garuntee you an HA or non HA room I personally don't like the set up of the HA rooms. Of course since I book primarily at SSR offseason it's a lot easier to get what I want. We're actually going this July/Aug, our first summer trip in many years.

BCV doesn't seem to have much problem filling its rooms.:goodvibes

On the other hand, guaranteeing a non accessible room probably would lead to accessible rooms being vacant since so many don't want them. ;)

We were given some sort of accessible room last week at SSR. Honestly it took me a full day to even realize. As we returned to the room (probably for the third time), I noticed the second peep hold at waist height. The room (a Studio) did have a tub, but it also had rails all over the bathroom, a low clothesline, and so on. In our case nothing about the room bothered us. Hopefully that will give us good karma for the next trip. :)

We had a room like that at AKL last December. It was only for one night and I didn't really realize it until DH pointed out the waist hight peep hole. Then I noticed the extra bars, etc.

I agree Beca. The current "design" of those rooms doesn't work well for anybody. When we stayed in a HA studio at BWV, I thought about how I would cope with that room if I were actually mobility impaired.

SNIP

How is it that putting in a roll-in shower and some grab bars in the bathroom but making the rest of the room more difficult for someone with mobility issues qualifies this as a HA room?

I haven't stayed at BCV nor seen those rooms firsthand, but based on your description and knowledge of how SSR rooms work I'll offer a few firsthand comments.

First off, when I request a HA room I'm really looking for three things: a roll-in shower, higher seat commode and lower bed height. These things are pretty much essential for me to stay in that room for a night. Why?

Well without a steppless shower, I can't get in to bathe. I'm stuck with a washcloth and sink. Not something you want to do after two days or one really steamy day.

Without a higher seat commode, I need someone to help me get up or down (or risk breaking a hip on my way to my feet). Fortunately, I have enough mobility left I can manage this if need be. I just walk away with a few bruises to my body or self esteem.

Without a lower bed height (all the DVC beds are put on a high platform fit for folks half a foot or so taller than me), I can't get in to sleep unless someone lifts me. Now if I had a strapping Prince CHarming with me to do my bidding it wouldn't be an issue, but imagine if you couldn't use your legs at all or only traveled with your 75 year old dad?

The grab bars are there for safety reasons only. Are the floors slippery after a shower? Yes. I have more trouble with that than I suspect you guys do. My balance is extremely precarious so I'm just taking baby steps. That little ramp out of the shower is a deathtrap for me when wet. But I just throw down some towels and shuffle my way out to dry land. A tub would mean a large step and guaranteed trip to the hospital due to a fall.

The kitchenettes generally place the microwaves on the counter unstead of under the cabinette. On the counter I can reach it for use from my powerchair. I can use the top shelves of the fridge. As for plates and cups, I either use my own or get my AB travel buddy to put them down for me. Alone, I'd ask the bellhop to do that when he brought in my luggage.

As for my clothes, I pretty much live out of my suitcase. It makes it much easier when packing time comes. If I do bring things to hang, they'll be a few skirts and tops. I simply can't reach the top rod, so the bottom one works for me.

And as for my toiletries, they include: toothbrush & toothpaste (on the sink by the faucet), liquid soap & shampoo (in the shower) and body spray (on the back of the commode or nightstand. my dad brings the full complement of shaving gels & stuff. For me, what I use in the bathroom finds a home. What I am better putting on when I get dressed lives there. I don't do makeup much as it is time consuming and not really accessible for me, but when I do that lives in a special bag applied at the desk or bedside table.

Now you want to know what's truly inaccessible for someone in a wheelchair? The stackable washr/dryer units in 1 bedroom and up. I can do the washer just fine, but the dryer is a stretch. Tools are required to reach inside. Still better than the old fashioned top loading dryers. Ever go fishing for clothing?:rotfl:

One last note, because BCV has so few HA rooms I pretty much scratched it off my list as future requests. I can't use the pool anyway.

Now the one thing I do regret with DVC HA rooms is that they took away the bar counter in the one bedrooms. You get the chairs but no usuable bar. The height in the models is perfect for someone in a chair.

For me it's an issue of "safety" to be placed into a HC room. I am short and have lower back problems. It makes my back hurt that much more trying to get up/down on the higher toilet. So yes, there are some of us who really cannot have a HC room at this time and it's not just a matter of "inconvenience" to be in one. I have to put this into the reservations but still have someone who will put me in a HC room and tell me it's blocked so I as the DVC member cannot change it at check in to me moved OUT of a HC room! Yes, this happened at BWV! The CM told me it was blocked by MS at DVC that I had to have a HC room. They fixed it immediately but the hassle was not worth it. I didn't even go into the room when I saw the lower peep hole as I knew it was a HC room. I hope they can make sure people who really need them get them and those of us who cannot be in them for safety reasons are not placed in them. If I one day need one I hope it's available!

SimbaCub
VWL Thanksgiving 2007
VWL Week before Christmas 2007 with friends

I haven't stayed at BCV nor seen those rooms firsthand, but based on your description and knowledge of how SSR rooms work I'll offer a few firsthand comments....
It's interesting to hear your perspective on this. It sounds like much of the current design does actually work for you and I felt somewhat better reading your post. As I said, my reaction to the HA studio at BWV was that it appeared they had done the minimum necessary to call the room "accessible" and I found that very disappointing. With all the creative minds at Disney and the reputation for first rate customer service, I just expected more. It seemed to me that while Disney probably met the legal requirements for an HA room, they stopped short of making the room truly comfortable for the people those rooms are supposed to serve.

I also think it is unfair that there must be a 2BR lockoff available in general availability before we clear the hurdle to get to Special Services. Since any other guest would be able to grab a 2BR whether it be lockoff or not, why must we only be able to reserve if there are still lockoffs?
If the units you need are 2 BR lockoff's, you would need to pull from the units that are available. If there are no 2 BR lockoff's available, by definition that would mean there are no 2 BR HC units available with the assumption that all HC 2 BR are lockoff's. I do realize that DVC makes a decision of how many to lockoff to use for separate studios and 1 BR and how many to reserve as 2 BR units. Should DVC be required to change the decision of how many to lockoff based on this issue and put a studio and 1 BR back together, I'd say no but they could do so on a case by case basis if they so desired. But there are other ways both DVC and the member could approach it. They could go to the effort of calling others with a lockoff and explain the situation and ask if they would change to a dedicated unit. They could put the smaller units back together if they wanted. They could also reassign some from a lockoff to a dedicated if they wanted, they technically have that right now. And the member could book the two smaller units separately and have them blocked so they would be together and connected with a note on the reservation to that effect. A few more points but if it's that important, it should be worth it to the member.

As for design, there is a certain amount of one size fits all when it comes to HC units, whether it really does fit that person or not. One person may need X and another Y to be the most functional but the unit has something of an average need setup that may not work for everyone. I know some of the wheelchair accessible units at Disney in general do have tubs and others have roll in showers.

Dean, I understand your first point and in fact thought that I had already addressed that.

As far calling other members and asking them to change, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. I really doubt the DVC would do so.

The rest of your solutions seem logical to me but the one time we had an issue with this, I was assured that DVC would not reassign an available dedicated to lockoff status. In the end, there was a cancellation and we were good to go.

But as for booking a 1Br and studio...well, duh on me! It didn't occur to me but certainly should have.:sad2: It certainly would be worth the points especially if both units were to be blocked together.

I agree that no design will fit all. Brogan's description of toiletries and unpacking fit our daughter to a tee. But as she is short, the higher toilet is a problem. She doesn't complain as it is so minor compared to everything else in her life but one size does not fit all. I do think the studios should have more hooks and shelves for others sharing the studio who could use more storage space. She can't walk on her own but I always worry about her on those wet floors.

As far calling other members and asking them to change, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. I really doubt the DVC would do so.
First, thanks for taking my post in a constructive way as intended, I was concerned it might not be. I would think it a simple matter on DVC's side to look for alternatives, I don't think there's anything the member could do. That's not to say there are always workable solutions in these type of situations but why not try when no harm is done.

I had an exchange to Marriott's Surfwatch last summer. We had a unit we owned there that started Friday and got an exchange that started Sat. The one day offset was no big deal to us and actually had a minor advantage. Apparently the unit had ben deposited by mistake. Both II and Marriott called me and asked if I'd be willing to change it to a Friday unit instead of a Sat one. They emphasized I had no obligation to do so but would help out another member. It really didn't matter to us with a minor advantage to keep the unit we had and a minor advantage to change to the unit that had the same start date as our other unit. My only concern was something would get messed up and I'd end up with neither. After thinking about it and talking with my wife a few minutes we decided the benefit of helping a fellow member, even though it wasn't someone we knew, was worth the risk involved. It worked great for all involved.

Dean, I've not seen a post of yours that was anything but constructive.

That was very proactive of II and Marriott to contact you and very good of your wife and you to accommodate the other member.:thumbsup2

We were on our honeymoon two years ago, which included some nights in a woods view room at Wilderness Lodge. We had to check in very late at night (again, lesson learned there), and were given a handicap room. I called the front desk, politely told them that we were on our honeymoon and preferred not to feel as if we were in a hospital, and were upgraded to the most superb pool/lake view room the next night. Gotta love the Disney honeymoon treatment!

Moral of the story is to arrive as early as possible.
Same thing happened to us in September 2002! We were on our honeymoon at the WL and we arrived around 3pm. We were assigned a HA room because it was the "only" room left with a King bed. We didn't know any better so we took it. I know we were married and all, but a door on the room to the toilet would have been nice:) So, the next morning, we asked if we could move to another room, even if we had to downsize to a smaller bed. They moved us on the spot, issued us new keys and told us to enjoy our day. We returned to our new room (they moved our luggage for us...we hadn't even unpacked yet) and it was much better. It was only a few rooms down the hall from our original room, but the view was better....more of the lake. I would definitely voice (calmly, tactfully and only once) my disappointment if the room I was assigned wasn't what I requested. I know that requests aren't guaranteed, but they won't know that there is a problem if you don't say anything. Please don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that anyone raise a huge stink about not getting "the perfect room". I'm just saying that they can't fix a problem if they don't know about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter