Why does Disney make it hard for larger families?

Why is it Disney's problem how large your family is? They are selling it and you can buy it if you'd like, or not. It's not just Disney…when you have a large family, you need more of everything. The gallon of milk or dozen eggs or loaf of bread I purchase for my family would last half as long in your house so you have to buy twice the amount I'd use. And similarly, when you go on vacation, you need twice as many tickets, hotel rooms, food, etc. It's not right or wrong, but you chose to have a large family so you choose all that comes with it.

I don't understand why anyone would think Disney was budget-friendly at this point.

They also don't strike me as a company to give "group discounts", at least not when we're talking about 6-8 people. Cruising is an industry with a lot more price variation and weirdness, but I'm pretty sure cruise lines and cruise travel agents still want you to have more than two rooms before they'll start discussing "bulk pricing".

Disney is a billion dollar corporation and they do what they have to to stay that way.

(Sorry for the cynicism, I'm just also not seeing the logic of why a group of eight should pay less per bed per night than a group of four or a group of two. If the commercials people keep referencing are actually implying that's the case, my apologies.)
The commercials show the "traditional" family with two parents and two youngsters the look under 10. They fit in a value. You never see an ad with 4 kids and two adults romping in a room, so there is no reference to the price point that family would hot in order to stay in the same room on vacation. I do not think Disney owes anyone a discount, as I have stated, we travel as a larger group and I know what the cost will be. I do think that for novice planners, the ad can lead to sticker shock.

I have a friend who looked at a Great Wolf Lodge and quoted me a price. Seriously????? Did you add food and tickets? WHAT??????????????????? That was not the price? No. Look at the dates included in that price, look at your dates, and add food and tickets.

Advertisement are meant to draw you in. They work, but can be misleading.

I think what makes it more challenging for large families is that there are few options to stay onsite - especially if your family is too large to stay in a suite. Its ok if you have teens you can put in a separate room - but say if you have 5 little kids. You don't fit in a value suite (isn't max occupancy about 6 for those?). What do you do? You could chance 2 connecting rooms - but that's not guaranteed.

That said, obviously Disney heard some of the demand and built AoA, which are mostly suites. The difficulty is that they priced them higher than 2 connecting value rooms. But at least they are an option.

For OP...have you looked into renting DVC points? a 2 bedroom at Old Key West could fit your family of 8. It is expensive (even if you rent points) though...about $500 or so a night.

I'd probably suggest
- 2 connecting rooms in a value with one adult in each room (and hope for the best)
- rent a villa offsite (transportation is more of a hassle of course since it's possible you'd both have to drive.
- a hotel in the Disney Springs area. It's not onsite...but they have shuttles that run every 30 mins (which helps with your transportation) and they can be quite manageable. They also offer suites and guaranteed connecting rooms (I believe).
- rent a trailer for the campground (I've eyed this option)

I'm looking at the old Nickolodean waterpark hotel (now a Holiday Inn I believe) for an extra night (cheaper to fly the next day). Their suites look really cool and I believe they can sleep 8 (I was only looking at 7 ppl). They say they have shuttles to all the parks - just not sure how frequent they are. Not as important to me as I'm only using it for my departure day.

Wait a second - your two littles are just 15 months and 4 months. If they are under 3, they don't count towards your room occupancy. So you can still fit in a value suite like you did on your previous trip.

Hi there!

I know you are thinking of on-site, but have you priced out accommodations off-site? Just a thought. I haven't read through the entire thread so if this a duplicate suggestion, my apologies.

We have rented in Windsor Hills the past few years and have thought it to be very economical. Some rental companies have properties that are $499 (or less per week). We get either a townhouse or a 3bed/2bath condo for super cheap. We tend to grocery shop when we first get there and do all our bfasts at the rental property. I think you can still bring in snacks/drinks to the parks or at least leave them in your car for a lunch-time snack. We've saved a bunch of money doing it this way. Paying the parking fees is expensive, but I have found it to be better for our family to stay off-site. Or even do a split-stay, with a few days on-site and a week in a rental property.

Whatever you choose to do, you will be at Disney so it will be fun! I hope you and your family have a great vacation!

Have a happy day!

Wait a second - your two littles are just 15 months and 4 months. If they are under 3, they don't count towards your room occupancy. So you can still fit in a value suite like you did on your previous trip.

I could be wrong, but I believe you can only avoid one of the under 3 children in room count. You must count the second little one. I know this is how the resort we used to frequent counts the little one.

We have a large family as well. Its me, DH, DD26, DSIL26, DS21, DD9 and DGD 19 mos. Not everyone goes every trip…but generally we have 6 at least and sometimes Grandma comes or the kids bring a friend. I can tell you what we have done for our previous trips. We started out staying at 2 rooms in a value (POP) and have done that 3 times. We have also stayed in the AOA Nemo Suite when we had 6 plus an infant. We stayed in a 1 BR Villa at Bay Lake Tower when we got a 45
% off discount. We have also stayed at Bonnet Creek twice. It is a lovely resort that sits next to the Caribbean Beach resort (so on WDW roadways but not a Disney property). They have tons of space with 1-4 bedroom condos.
If you look at renting points, be aware that you won't qualify for free dining that way. If you book 2 value rooms during free dining you will get the Counter Service plan. You would have to pay the difference to upgrade to the regular plan (if you are wanting to do Table Service and character meals). You could book 2 rooms at a moderate and get the regular plan. You would have to check the price difference of upgrading the plan at the value vs booking a mod with the regular plan.
We have always found it a challenge traveling anywhere and we have to pay more no matter where we go as we need more space. Its just the price we pay for having a larger family (which I wanted and Love)
Hopefully you can find a way to make it work. Honestly the hardest thing for me to swallow for our large family is the ticket prices. We always get 8-10 day passes and boy does that price add up! Another option we have used when we dont do a package or stay off property is to purchase tickets at Undercovertourist for a bit of a discount. Every little bit helps!

I could be wrong, but I believe you can only avoid one of the under 3 children in room count. You must count the second little one. I know this is how the resort we used to frequent counts the little one.
This is correct ONE child under 3 doesn't count.

If you look at renting points, be aware that you won't qualify for free dining that way. If you book 2 value rooms during free dining you will get the Counter Service plan. You would have to pay the difference to upgrade to the regular plan (if you are wanting to do Table Service and character meals). You could book 2 rooms at a moderate and get the regular plan. You would have to check the price difference of upgrading the plan at the value vs booking a mod with the regular plan.
The current "free dining" being offered is only 1 QS meal per person per day. I think the days of full on free dining are done or close to done.

The current "free dining" being offered is only 1 QS meal per person per day. I think the days of full on free dining are done or close to done.

There was the same offer last summer and conventional free dining was still released later on. Considering the lower than expected attendance recently, its still likely that they will continue to release free dining.

There was the same offer last summer and conventional free dining was still released later on. Considering the lower than expected attendance recently, its still likely that they will continue to release free dining.
the one last year didn't have nearly the scope of previous offers though. we have taken advantage of it several times, but our usual travel dates were blacked out of that one. I really think Disney is looking for another way to drive revenue and FD is on its way out.

I feel your pain!! We have grown from a family of 3 to 6(by choice, okay one oops)and have had to adjust how we travel. We love WDW and enjoy staying onsite. Our problem is my "stuffy" dh. He hates the value resorts so I have to rule them out. We have rented points and stayed at OKW and SS. This is not always a cheap option as the rental price on a 2 bedroom for 12 nights is still a little pricey. We discovered Bonnet Creek and have never looked back. We are able to rent a 2 bedroom for two weeks for less than a week onsite. I understand we are not onsite but our girls love the resort and I have never heard a complaint. I love the space and we always drive to the parks so transportation is never an issue. With our season passes parking is free and I love not waiting on buses. As I'm sure your aware traveling with a big family is always a little harder. I know of very few hotels anywhere that house six, unless your willing to do a nasty sofa bed. We always must book 2 rooms and beg for rooms by one another. We cruise a lot and unless we are in a suite, have to get 2 cabins with is double the cost. We enjoy our family, I don't want to sound like a complainer. I understand why we have to pay more than those with just four and plan accordingly. Happy travels.

I'd love for Disney to guarantee connecting rooms if you booked by a certain time. Make it a year or longer even. Or only at a select few resorts. I know there are two bedrooms available but I'd love to see a more affordable option. I know they don't *owe* large families anything but it would be a nice service to offer.

Our families are pretty similar. At the time of travel, we will have 16, 14, 13 y/o boys, a 9 and 2.5 y/o girl and 14 month old boy.
My parents are also coming to help out! And we're all hoping for the free dining. My teen boys are athletes already over 6' 170+ and can literally eat all.day.long.
We are planning on traveling in early Dec '17 (flexible dates to try and snag free dining).

I priced everything possible- renting DVA points, 2 rooms at value & mod, suites, cabins, etc.

The best value for us was free dining & 2 rooms at Coronado. A value resort would only get us the quick serve dining & then we would need to upgrade or pay out of pocket.
I planned each meal, checked the menus and priced it out to be sure lol! I included everything - Every penny we would need, from gas to spending money to tips! Our final price is $7550.

-The cheapest DVC rental was about $1500 more (value 2bdrm AK, the standard 2 at AK was $1900 more)
-The value & mod came out equal, factoring in upgrading the free dining, and the value was actually more expensive if we paid out of pocket for the difference in food
-offsite was about $1000 more since we had to pay for food (even with discounted tickets and not hopping)
-room only was more, even with a 20% discount (not even sure if that would be out just checked in case)

I should note - we don't camp so I didn't check out RVs or the campsites! And we aren't willing to do more than snacks & coffee in our room on a Disney vacation, so if you are, your numbers could be different!
HTH
Keep in mind if you don't receive "free dining" these numbers don't work.

I am married with a step-daughter (16), two sons (10 & 8), one adopted son (5) and two foster daughters (15 months and 4 months). That first and last family trip we took was in December of 2013. Unfortunately, I did not know about this site at the time and hadn’t discovered the DIS Unplugged podcast as well. In fact, that trip did not go as well as I had hoped because I wasn’t as prepared as I wish I had been. When I got back I promised myself I would do the research before planning our next trip. That is when I came across the DIS Unplugged YouTube page and my addiction began!

I am now looking to plan a Disney World trip this upcoming fall but find it difficult to plan the trip and stay on Disney property considering my options are limited unless I am able to spend a ridiculous amount of money (which I cannot). I do realize that if we stay offsite we will spend less money but if I am going to plan a trip for the family we will want to stay onsite. Mainly because of theming but also for the convenience factor, free parking (we will drive to Orlando), fast pass selections and the possibility of free dining (I realize that this is very hard to get now). When we came in 2013 we stayed at All Star Music in one of their suites. This was fine for our family at the time but now we have added two more little ones. This seems to leave me with very few options. The All Star Music & Art of Animation suites state that they can sleep up to 6 adults. Not sure what that means for us since we have two adults and 6 children. Except for the campsites (which my wife would never approve), everything else onsite that would hold our family would be well out of our price range.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any large families out there that have dealt with these same issues?

Mark
OP, if I were in your shoes I'd definitely rent an off site condo. However, since you really want to stay onsite I agree with many of the other opinions here stating that renting 2 rooms at a Value is your best bet.

I do not think Disney is trying to inhibit large families! Large families require large budgets and their are plenty of large family accommodation options. Unfortunately, some of those come with large prices. If money is an concern, staying off site is a great option. As a family of 6 we of course PREFER to stay on WDW property, but when our budget didn't cover it, we stayed offsite, in rentals, timeshares or hotels. Was the trip less of a trip for us? NO....I fully believe that trips are what each family makes of it! btw...huge family = huge fun = huge family memories! Good Luck!

Correct. I know with our twins only one didn't count towards occupancy when they were under 3, not both. So for OP she would count as a party of 7 rather than 8 and is still too many for the suites.

I'd love for Disney to guarantee connecting rooms if you booked by a certain time. Make it a year or longer even. Or only at a select few resorts. I know there are two bedrooms available but I'd love to see a more affordable option. I know they don't *owe* large families anything but it would be a nice service to offer.

In order to do that they would have to change their whole way of booking rooms. They would have to block them off as they rent them, and that would be a massive undertaking. In addition, nothing is 100% guaranteed by Disney when it comes to your room. Even the room types you can book now are not guaranteed.

In order to do that they would have to change their whole way of booking rooms. They would have to block them off as they rent them, and that would be a massive undertaking. In addition, nothing is 100% guaranteed by Disney when it comes to your room. Even the room types you can book now are not guaranteed.

I'm sure they could figure it out. They are pretty bright. It's not all that difficult. It's just another bookable category. Especially if they only allowed connecting rooms as a bookable category when booked by a year out. Subject to availability. Even if that is a small number of rooms in a limited number of hotels.

Other hotel companies have figured this out.

ETA - I saw the Orlando Sheraton vistana advertise guaranteed connecting rooms.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter