Why does Disney make it hard for larger families?

We're a family of 9. I've just accepted that going to Disney is going to be expensive and plan accordingly. As for lodging, when we went in Dec. '15 we stayed in 2 adjoining rooms at CBR which worked out well. I wanted to go ahead and stay there again this Dec. when we all go again, but there was no availability when I booked a couple weeks ago so we have 2 rooms at All Star Music, a preferred room and a family suite. I'm hoping they can get the 2 rooms as close together as possible, but since by the time we go our oldest will have turned 18, my plan is to put him and our other 2 teens in the room and the other 5 of us in the suite. I get that the values might not be as "nice", but we really only sleep there and I'm confident that our accommodations will be fine. I'm hoping a discount will come up between now and when we go that I can get applied, but if not, I'm currently budgeting and planning as if we will have to pay the full amount. That way any discount is a pleasant bonus rather than the lack thereof being a deal-breaker. I would be a little bit concerned if I had a package booked but the numbers wouldn't work unless we got free dining. That seems to be harder and harder to get.

Last edited:
I'm sure they could figure it out. They are pretty bright. It's not all that difficult. It's just another bookable category. Especially if they only allowed connecting rooms as a bookable category when booked by a year out. Subject to availability. Even if that is a small number of rooms in a limited number of hotels.

Other hotel companies have figured this out.

ETA - I saw the Orlando Sheraton vistana advertise guaranteed connecting rooms.
They did just that - all star music suites and aoa suites. Disney hotels run at a higher than average occupancy rate. To guarantee connecting rooms would mean lost revenue. Like it or night they are in the business of making money.

Last edited:
We're a family of 9. I'm hoping they can get the 2 rooms as close together as possible, but since by the time we go our oldest will have turned 18, my plan is to put him and our other 2 teens in the room and the other 5 of us in the suite. .

I think you forgot to count someone... 5+3=8, not 9? Not a big deal, you can have 6 in the suite right? Or one more in the single room?

Last edited:

They did just that - all star music suites and aoa suites. Disney hotels run at a higher than average occupancy rate. To guarantee connecting rooms would mean lost revenue. Like it or night they are in the business of making money.
Totally agree that they are in the business of making money such as any other business. However, they "tweak" their occupancy levels in order to make it look better than it is sometimes. They do this by taking rooms "out of service" and those rooms do not count towards occupancy.

Totally agree that they are in the business of making money such as any other business. However, they "tweak" their occupancy levels in order to make it look better than it is sometimes. They do this by taking rooms "out of service" and those rooms do not count towards occupancy.

Why would they want to remove rooms from inventory when they could book them? They do take rooms out for maintenance, redecorating, and for system upgrades, but I never heard of any hotel having perfectly good rooms closed to make it look like they were full. Why would they want to lose that money?

Why would they want to remove rooms from inventory when they could book them? They do take rooms out for maintenance, redecorating, and for system upgrades, but I never heard of any hotel having perfectly good rooms closed to make it look like they were full. Why would they want to lose that money?
From what I've been told by "insiders," they do this so they can justify the inflated hotel room costs & to keep their share holders happy with their occupancy rates.

From what I've been told by "insiders," they do this so they can justify the inflated hotel room costs & to keep their share holders happy with their occupancy rates.
Ahhh the insiders - your cousins girl friends best friends brother is a bellman. While I don't doubt that rooms are held out of promotions or free dining I highly doubt they are telling people they have no available rooms when they do. Not only would they lose the room revenue but potentially the tickets, dining and other assorted revenue. Potentially thousands of dollars just so they can charge and extra $20 a night for a room. It doesn't make financial sense

I also don't doubt they have a higher than industry standard number of rooms out of service at any one time. They run at a high occupancy rate which means the room get more wear and tear and people expect a certain level of perfection in a Disney resort (although it does not always happen) so what may be an ok room elsewhere would warrant a removal from service and maintance at Disney.

Large family here as well- We have done AOA until we outgrew it. This last time we stayed at WBC, it was close to everything (I'm talking minutes away from the parks), 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms top floor with fireworks view of MK and EPCOT for 2500 for the week with a full kitchen and we loved it! This summer we are renting an RV and camping which will be fun, but I can't wait to get back to WBC for our 2018 trip!

Although we don't spend much time in our hotel, being in a cramped room with one washroom is not my cup of tea. We have stayed off site the last few years. 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, washer & dryer in suite so we can pack lightly. 5 minute drive to Disney. Not expensive either. We don't need the Disney experience 24 hours/day.

I agree that Disney, along with other companies, doesn't think about large families when trying to accommodate guests. Most likely this is because family sizes are decreasing. However, as a family of 8 (six kids), we "get" you! Have to chuckle at all of the "Why is it Disney's problem that you have so many kids??" comments. . . like having a large family is a 'problem' and we're a menace to society or something. Four of our children are adopted, and we choose to think that we are making the world a better place by raising them. That being said, we are firm "off Disney" vacationers. SOOO much cheaper, way more space, and a lot of times the vacation rental is closer to some of the parks than many on-Disney hotels are. Watching Disney hotel guests stand and wait 15 minutes for a bus at the end of a long day while we zip to our vehicle in the parking lot and are back "home" in 5 minutes is so worth it to me. As is having a private pool, huge kitchen, 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms for an entire week for the price of 1 night at AKL. No brainer for us.

I think it's fair to say that 'we' will looking at something similar in the future as the kids get older. Having the younger kids, part of the experience is the hotel and the ambience 24/7... although i can definitely see the attraction to a 'holiday home' 5 minutes away. The ability to cook, clean and wash is very appealing! lol... If you have AP and get free parking (not sure if that is still a thing?) it makes sense to use your car as a home base, it just makes it a little more of an effort to 'pop back' for a nap or shower etc.. Definitely going to look into for a different experience.

I agree that Disney, along with other companies, doesn't think about large families when trying to accommodate guests. Most likely this is because family sizes are decreasing. However, as a family of 8 (six kids), we "get" you! Have to chuckle at all of the "Why is it Disney's problem that you have so many kids??" comments. . . like having a large family is a 'problem' and we're a menace to society or something. Four of our children are adopted, and we choose to think that we are making the world a better place by raising them. That being said, we are firm "off Disney" vacationers. SOOO much cheaper, way more space, and a lot of times the vacation rental is closer to some of the parks than many on-Disney hotels are. Watching Disney hotel guests stand and wait 15 minutes for a bus at the end of a long day while we zip to our vehicle in the parking lot and are back "home" in 5 minutes is so worth it to me. As is having a private pool, huge kitchen, 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms for an entire week for the price of 1 night at AKL. No brainer for us.

I don't think many people said it was a problem to have a large family. I do think people were responding to the OP's complaint that DIsney makes it hard for large families becuase of the room limitatatons. No company is obligated to create an equatable solution because of family size, although I do think that there are family destinations, Disney included, that have provided options. As you pointed out, these options tend to be more money that a single room built for 4. The choice of lodging is personal, and throughout this thread, people have discussed the advantages of offsite housing. This was not something the OP wanted, but is it a reasonable way to reduce the overall cost of a Disney vacation.

Part of your answer is faulty - guests on property do not have to wait for a bus - they can drive to the parks (but park for free) just like off property guests. Of course the added cost of a car/parking is another factor to the on/offsite debate. Also, the 'closeness' factor works for pretty much every hotel - if it's close to one park, it's not as close to another one. And the "zip" to the vehicle doesn't fly at MK, and it depends on where you park (if you need to wait for tram, or haul *** across a hot asphalt lot to a hot car) to see how fast you get out - also depends on if you leave at an off time or at closing, etc.

We have eight kids, we've started taking two separate trips, if we stay onsite..but we also live in Florida, so it's no big deal to do that.

There is an offsite timeshare resort, that is technically within Disney property. Check out Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort. You can rent a 2 bedroom condo(sleeps 8 plus a baby in a crib), with 2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, and full kitchen for less than $150 a night. This resort is gorgeous, 4 pools, two lazy rivers, 2 slides, splash pad, kiddy pool, mini golf...it's seriously nicer than any Disney resort.....and soooo affordable. Driving to the parks is easier with having two babies anyway.

We've stayed there for 7 nights for $500 before. The closer to your dates, the cheaper it gets. We love this place so much we stayed 7 nights once without Disney tickets. Just spent a week at the resort.

We have eight kids, we've started taking two separate trips, if we stay onsite..but we also live in Florida, so it's no big deal to do that.

There is an offsite timeshare resort, that is technically within Disney property. Check out Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort. You can rent a 2 bedroom condo(sleeps 8 plus a baby in a crib), with 2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, and full kitchen for less than $150 a night. This resort is gorgeous, 4 pools, two lazy rivers, 2 slides, splash pad, kiddy pool, mini golf...it's seriously nicer than any Disney resort.....and soooo affordable. Driving to the parks is easier with having two babies anyway.

We've stayed there for 7 nights for $500 before. The closer to your dates, the cheaper it gets. We love this place so much we stayed 7 nights once without Disney tickets. Just spent a week at the resort.

It's near CBR, (actually it towers obnoxiously over it, ruining a lot of sight lines on property - how the hell did they get away with that?) so it is close to EPCOT and HS. But it doesn't have any Disney perks, right? No free parking, no close bus stops at the parks, no EMH, right? So, unless you have an AP you have to pay $$$ for parking if you drive to the parks.

It's near CBR, (actually it towers obnoxiously over it, ruining a lot of sight lines on property - how the hell did they get away with that?) so it is close to EPCOT and HS. But it doesn't have any Disney perks, right? No free parking, no close bus stops at the parks, no EMH, right? So, unless you have an AP you have to pay $$$ for parking if you drive to the parks.

Well it's not on Disney property so Disney didn't get final say on it, that would be county planners ... and it doesn't really matter anymore now that Disney is building towers including one coming to the CBR property that will ruin lots of views, including the WBC ones.

No Disney perks but you can save so much money staying here that the parking cost each day is minor - although I have an AP so don't pay.

Only park where bus stops are really far is MK, but at park closing, I am probably in bed before some of those lines are even on the road to their hotel. Other parks you can walk if you get to park early, no trams needed.

No EMH, we don't use the morning ones. But do agree, love the night ones, but those are so few and far these days ... sadly learning to work around it if we stay off.

The biggest Disney perks to me I can't replicate are really ME, EMH and the DDBD (Disney Designated Bus Driver) ... and 60 FP+ for just a few rides. If you drive, really hard to justify prices if just comparing perks. WBC has lots of amenities on top of what you get in units.

We stay at WBC, and will never stay anywhere else. The bus system is not a perk for me - we prefer to have a car, and with littles EMH's don't work right now for us. The savings more than cover the cost of parking. And everyone gets their own room, and bathroom! The list goes on and on...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter