Why does this irk me?

MinnieVanMom

DIS Veteran
We are getting ready for our local fair. It has been a family tradition for years now and we enjoy the art & crafts and baking.

Two years ago when we entered online there was a box for special education so I checked it. Then they took all of DS and put them in with the NT kids. I asked the judge and board members and they said I had to put a sign on the front of all DS work saying it is SN and the judge would have to be told it is SN. Yes we want to fit in with other but his work will never be that of NT child. I was just proud of him for telling me what colours when in the squares.

Last year I did it but this year I am just irked that I have to put stickers on all his work on the front so it glares out. Why can't we just have a class for SN and put all the entries in that class that belong and then judge them accordingly? Judge them for the effort and for the children just trying hard to get a project done. Not on the artistic value. NO stickers for everyone to see but just a class for SN children and a tag on the back.

Am I just stressed out and making something out of nothing?

No! You are making something out of something, IMHO. I would be totally pissed off if I was told that my son's work had to have a sticker on it and labeled that way. :furious: There should either be a special class as you said or everyone's work should be lumped in together with no stickers at all. Man, I would not be very polite if I was told to do what you have to do!

:idea: Why not find the other parents at the art fair this year, and then get together with the people running the fair to see if there is a solution for all of you that is fair, unbiased, and non offensive for next year's fair? Good luck! :goodvibes

You are not making a big deal out of this matter. What if an amputee had to wear a sign saying that they are an amputee? What if said amputee was a teacher and had to wear that sign all day?

What I personally have experienced and have seen is that people want to be part of the group. They do not want to be exempted because of race, religion, handicap, or age for example. Read the story in the board about the girl who dances. She will never be a world champion but everyone sees her as a kid trying hard and doing a great job. I say no stickers. What is the qualifications for special needs? is it a diagnosis? What about a person that is a bit slow in learning but is a great artist shoould not they compete with other great artists?

I don't think you're overreacting, either; There has to be a way to internally make the judging fair without making this kind of public statement. I would definitely talk to other parents and the organizers about this.

We are going up to the fair for the first time since we submitted DS work early this week.

Tomorrow is cat show. We live in a very rural area and this is just for fun. The local vet is the judge and his wife assists. They both know about our DS and last year they just really make a big deal about how well he does with his cat. They tell everyone how smart he is and how well he knows his cat. It is one of the priceless moments in life that I treasure.

So we are going back to let him show his cat HK. Last year she was a small kitten and won Best of show, this year she is huge cat. He just grabs her by the middle and carries her where he wants.

We will also go to our community booth and see how he did with his work. I pray to God that they had enough sense to take off the "required" stickers. I will go to the fair board and make a formal protest. They need to either make a class for those with different abilities or not require a blaring sticker. JMO.

Please say a prayer for DS and hope all goes well in the cat show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter