Why Doesn't Mickey Talk?

Palendat

DIS Veteran
Today my 3 1/2 yo DS asked my wife, "Why doesn't Mickey talk?" (in reference to Mickey at the theme parks)
We haven't been to DW for about 14 months, but are planning for November, and now he asks this question. Has anyone else had this question come up and how did you answer it?
Thanks for your ideas!:D

My daughter asked the same question... I lied to her.
Right or wrong I didn't want her to lose some of the magic
when she saw the characters so I told her that they needed to
rest their voices and they couldn't talk to everyone. They only talk when they are on stage or in parades... she bought it.
:bounce:

Many years ago I taught pre-school (3 and 4 year olds.) I always taught my classes sign language since I am fluent in it. I was always careful to explan deafness and how people who coudln't hear could use there hands to communicate.

One mother came back from a vaction at WDW and had a story to tell me. She said that when her 3 year old DD met Mickey and he wouldn't talk to her she asummed he was deaf and started to talk to him in sign language, (her name ect...) While Mickey happened to know some ASL and signed back to her. It was the cutest thing and her mother was so proud when she told me. Funny how it all made perfect sense to a 3 year old. Things sometimes are much easier to understand at that age.

r3ngels,
I told my DS almost exactly the same thing when he was little. I told him if Mickey tlaked to everyone he would get a sore throat and he had to be fair so he just does not talk to anyone. He bought it for a while at least and I kept the magic. I don't call that a lie. It's the same magic as Santa or the Easter Bunny. Don't want to debate that one either. LOL. All that magic is behing us now so enjoy it as long as you can.

jordan's mom

In January DH took the 8 hour backstage magic tour. He was told the reason Mickey doesn't talk is because he is international. Children from all over the world see his carton in their native language, so an English speaking Mouse (with an accent different than theirs) could take a lot of magic away.
For some reason our children never question why he doesn't talk. We just tell them that the love is in the hug. All of the characters (except the Cruella and Jafar naturally) have been great with the hugs.

The international explanation is a nice one but back in 1973 when the park was relatively new and I lived in Orlando, I knew one of the "Mickey's" and asked him the same question. His answer was that the costume head distorts the voice and that even if the CM could do a passable Mickey impression (which he really could), the muffled quality of sound made it too obvious that there was a person inside the head.

r3ngels and Jordan's MOM,
I told my DD the same thing! She is 3 y/o and we were just there in October (her first trip). She bought it too, and now she explains it to her brother (who is only 1 and has no idea what she's talking about).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter