Why is making a purchase decision so difficult?

becauseimnew

Planner-aholic
I have about $1,500 dollars to spend on camera stuff this year.
I have a 5DMii, with the 50 1.8 & 85 1.8. I need a zoom lens.

My thoughts were to get the 24-70 1.8 L, but my 5D is about 7 years old. So I don't know if I really should invest in a really nice lens.

My other option was to get a smaller full frame camera, such as the Sony a7ii, within my budget or maybe stick with canon EOS RP.

I mostly use my camera for travel.

Thoughts or other suggestions?

The Sony A7ii really isn't a great camera..... Would be worth springing for the A7iii -- It's not a minor upgrade, it's a revolutionary difference. But the camera + lenses would be outside your budget. (though you can certainly buy used and squeeze it a bit closer)

Similarly, the Canon RP isn't so hot, but at least you could keep using your current lenses.
If you can stretch your budget, the Canon R could be worthwhile. And you can keep using your lenses with the adapter.

The 24-70/2.8 L would be very nice glass on your 5Dii. No question.
But yes.. the 5Dii is definitely "old" in terms of sensor, autofocus, video features, and otherwise.

And while you shouldn't rule our dSLR cameras and lenses.... Even Canon has acknowledged they are moving heavily to mirrorless. They have actually said they don't plan on making any more EF/EF-S lenses.

dSLR cameras and lenses won't die overnight, but they aren't very future-proof.

I'd go Canon R with your current lenses.
Or Sony A7iii.. buy it used, and squeeze in 1-2 native lenses... if you can find a good used Tamron 28-75/2.8, that would be a nice starting point. Can probably do that combination for under $2,000... so a little beyond your current budget.

The Sony A7ii really isn't a great camera..... Would be worth springing for the A7iii -- It's not a minor upgrade, it's a revolutionary difference. But the camera + lenses would be outside your budget. (though you can certainly buy used and squeeze it a bit closer)

Similarly, the Canon RP isn't so hot, but at least you could keep using your current lenses.
If you can stretch your budget, the Canon R could be worthwhile. And you can keep using your lenses with the adapter.

But yes.. the 5Dii is definitely "old" in terms of sensor, autofocus, video features, and otherwise.

And while you shouldn't rule our dSLR cameras and lenses.... Even Canon has acknowledged they are moving heavily to mirrorless. They have actually said they don't plan on making any more EF/EF-S lenses.

Or Sony A7iii.. buy it used, and squeeze in 1-2 native lenses... if you can find a good used Tamron 28-75/2.8, that would be a nice starting point. Can probably do that combination for under $2,000... so a little beyond your current budget.
Thank you! This is really helpful. I'll be on the lookout. Maybe I'll wait a few months and save a little more.

Just a quick update, I was able to get a used - like new A7iii from Amazon with the kit lens (cheaper than body only at the time) for $1550. Long story short, the camera was giving an SD read card error and after updating the firmware it worked fine, the camera's shutter count was 96! It's practically brand new.

I'm going to order the Tamron 17-28/2.8 today and keep the kit lens. We are headed to Disneyland next week so I'm excited about the wide lens.

I can definitely see why it is difficult. You're shooting Canon, but Sony has better camera bodies for sale. But that requires switching systems. On top of that, Canon has finally woken up to the challenge and is starting to roll out mirrorless cameras. The R and RP aren't really in the same class as the 5D and aren't competitive with the Sony offerings. The rumored R5 sounds great, but it is still a rumor and out of your budget. It'll probably be 2021 before they come out with a mid-range or low-end camera that competes well with Sony.

So what do you do? Wait for Canon? Switch to Sony? It isn't an easy decision. Were it not for the rumored R5, I'd probably be leaning Sony. With it, we can see that Canon has swallowed their pride and appears to be finally providing in-body stabilization and decent video. They are starting at the high end, but that will eventually trickle down. But how long will that take? Life is full of gambles.

I can definitely see why it is difficult. You're shooting Canon, but Sony has better camera bodies for sale. But that requires switching systems. On top of that, Canon has finally woken up to the challenge and is starting to roll out mirrorless cameras. The R and RP aren't really in the same class as the 5D and aren't competitive with the Sony offerings. The rumored R5 sounds great, but it is still a rumor and out of your budget. It'll probably be 2021 before they come out with a mid-range or low-end camera that competes well with Sony.

So what do you do? Wait for Canon? Switch to Sony? It isn't an easy decision. Were it not for the rumored R5, I'd probably be leaning Sony. With it, we can see that Canon has swallowed their pride and appears to be finally providing in-body stabilization and decent video. They are starting at the high end, but that will eventually trickle down. But how long will that take? Life is full of gambles.
I ended up buying a Sony, I can't wait until Canon makes a competitive camera. I'm really annoyed that the Sony mount lenses are so expensive, but I'm not one to have a bunch of lenses so I just bought the kit lens 28-70 & the Tamron 17-28/2.8. I think that will suit my travel needs.

I think you made a good choice. I think that Sony has the best cameras on the market today. Hopefully Nikon and/or Canon will step up and become competitive soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter