Why not expand?

Just another quick thought. You can open a DVC loop on a very small scale very easily, for a limited cost build, just to see how it goes. You can see how it sells, and see how it is utilized by other DVC owners. It could take small footprint and prove out a theory, that the stepchild Fort has far more value that they might think.

That's very true. And if they don't realize the profit they expected it would be easy enough to convert that loop to 'regular' use.

I think part of it would be that DVC owners might expect a DVC loop to have something 'more' than the regular campsites. Just like DVC accommodations have kitchens and other 'extras'. But I've mentioned before that they could 'plus' the sites with a covered 'patio' and maybe an extra nice grill, upgrade the laundry & showers. If it didn't work out, they could be offered as 'super-premium' campsites to the 'hoi-polloi'.

....It could take small footprint and prove out a theory, that the stepchild Fort has far more value that they might think.
Not sure I want the Mother-Ship to know how valuable it is, especially how valuable to us FW faithful. Rates increased, reduced or eliminated free transportation, closing a pool, losing other amenities, higher density traffic, would all be probable once the value is on Disney's radar. Yes, rate increases are inevitable, but how high they go depends on Disney's perception of the value of FW. Careful what we wish for...
My takeaway so far from this Covid19 lifestyle experience is that LESS people per square foot is highly desirable. FW expansion (within the current boundaries) would not be consistent with that lesson learned.

Agreed. But the Covid kinda brought it back into focus. First resort to open.

And the fact that it appears that the 'safest' way to travel these days is to drag (or drive) your home with you as opposed to staying in a hotel room. I guess the interest in RV'ing is on the uptick these days.

That alone may be enough to catch Disney's eye.

Totally anecdotal: we did a short RV trip to the beach a couple weeks ago. What with pump and pay your own fuel (with gloves/mask), checking in through a plexiglass barrier (again gloves & mask) and the spacing of the RV sites we were able to SD very easily. The RV park was strict about masks, staying in your own site, and keeping SD in the park AND on the beach. We felt perfectly safe. Can't do all that in a hotel, much less if you have to fly to get where you're going.

I just saw an interview with an RV exec in which he says the industry sold 41,000 RVs last month. Tesla is selling 30,000 cars a month as a comparison. Expand the Fort.

I just saw an interview with an RV exec in which he says the industry sold 41,000 RVs last month. Tesla is selling 30,000 cars a month as a comparison. Expand the Fort.
Well, I didn't see that number yet. Selling 30,000 per month is a boatload of electric cars for sure. Made me think about the effect it might have on our nightly campground fees, not just FW but across the country. Talking about using them as toads.

I confess I'm a techno-peasant and can't accurately speak of the energy an electric vehicle requires. I am sure, however, once they become toads in large numbers (only a matter of time, really) it will add to the total meter-reading of the campground. And add significantly, I'm guessing. If you thought nightly rates at FW were extreme, I'm betting they will be double for all levels of campsites to spread the cost benefit of going "green" to everyone.

I would worry about Tesla Model 3 pulling a trailer into the Fort. At least not until they come out with that wierd looking Pickup.
But I thought it was amazing that the RV industry delivered 41000 units in a month.

And the fact that it appears that the 'safest' way to travel these days is to drag (or drive) your home with you as opposed to staying in a hotel room. I guess the interest in RV'ing is on the uptick these days

I think StomyCA hit the nail on the head. I do wonder how long the virus will how people will travel though.

Expand the Fort. 41000 new RVs owners are looking for reservations!

Not to disagree that there probably was an increase in RV sells. Comparing the entire RV industry to just ONE car company, is like comparing applying apples to oranges. The entire car/truck/suv industry is much bigger than the entire RV industry.

What was the rate of increase of RV sales in the last couple of years. How did RV sales in May of this year compared to May of last year? I chose May as there is usually a lag in reporting year to year sale for the same month.

What was the rate of increase of RV sales in the last couple of years. How did RV sales in May of this year compared to May of last year? I chose May as there is usually a lag in reporting year to year sale for the same month

The gist of the interview I saw was that the RV industry took a hit the past couple of months and then bounced back to the best numbers that industry was experiencing prior to the covid. I also read somewhere that the RV industry had slowed down over the past 3 years, but this virus may have changed a dynamic to how people travel. I think the interview I saw was with a guy from RVIA, an industry org.

Not to disagree that there probably was an increase in RV sells. Comparing the entire RV industry to just ONE car company, is like comparing applying apples to oranges. The entire car/truck/suv industry is much bigger than the entire RV industry
I get it! I was just fascinated that the RV industry was sells more than a company that commands a lot of the news media's time.

More RVs are being built. Expand the Fort!

I would tend to agree that COVID might've increased the interest in the Fort since as others have said camper sales are through the roof. At the same time, except for holidays, the Fort is sitting fairly open. Every date I have checked has been open in comparison to when it used to be pretty hard to get a campsite anytime. I'm not sure a lot of people really feel safe traveling yet. Time will tell. As I posted in the community board, they have (according to an article from the DIS) temporarily tabled "Reflections" which was the DVC resort being built next to the fort.

they have (according to an article from the DIS) temporarily tabled "Reflections" which was the DVC resort being built next to the fort.
I don't believe they will build Reflections. The idea had no "character"! You walk into most other DVC resorts and you say "WOW". And until they figure out the Riviera Hotel, nothing at Disney World in the name of DVC will be built. They can fix that quickly if they want to.

So what to do you do with that neighbor. When a DVC salesman was pitching his stuff to us, he said that Disney breaks even on the parks, and hotels, but profits on the merch and food. If you took the abandoned house next door and made it into a destination food, merch and services destinations, you doing something that is profitable, and expanding the Fort by linking WIlderness Lodge and the Fort. If I remember, there was a project that wanted to do just that, a decade or so ago. It would be a nice add on to the Fort and Wilderness Lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter