WiFi in the complexes

Riku

Mouseketeer
So, after hearing that there isn't any wifi in the apartments (only in the clubhouse and stuff), my dad came up with a great idea.

If one person was to get a router, and we could get a bunch of airport expresses, we could create a huge hotspot area. An airport express extends the signal of the base router.

Potentially, if enough people were to get an airport express for their rooms, we could make a hotspot that encompasses most, if not all, of the apartments in one of the complexes.

Ideas or opinions?

One roommate needs to bring a router and you'll have wi-fi. All of us in my apartment were cheap so we all just direct connected with ethernet cords. Internet in the apartments are basically useless. Its soooo slow.

Or, each apartment will have one person buy a router and everyone will either use that or connect with ethernet cords.

The problem with creating a big hotspot, besides getting that many people on board, is that it isn't password protected. If I wanted free unsecured internet I'd just go to one of the places that already has it.

Wait, even the ethernet sucks? Will a router make it better? Or am I doomed to sucky internet while I'm living there?

Also, the hotspot could definitely be password protected. Anyone who wanted the password would just have to ask, of course. Obviously, whoever was hosting an airport express would automatically be given the password.

So, after hearing that there isn't any wifi in the apartments (only in the clubhouse and stuff), my dad came up with a great idea.

If one person was to get a router, and we could get a bunch of airport expresses, we could create a huge hotspot area. An airport express extends the signal of the base router.

Potentially, if enough people were to get an airport express for their rooms, we could make a hotspot that encompasses most, if not all, of the apartments in one of the complexes.

Ideas or opinions?

So instead of buying a $20 router, you buy a $99 dollar airport express? :confused3

o.o Last I checked, routers were more around $60-70. And there wouldn't need to be one in every dorm. People could pool their money and end up saving.

Wait, even the ethernet sucks? Will a router make it better? Or am I doomed to sucky internet while I'm living there?
Also, the hotspot could definitely be password protected. Anyone who wanted the password would just have to ask, of course. Obviously, whoever was hosting an airport express would automatically be given the password.

lol Yes. Though, It's not TERRIBLY bad ;) at least you'll have it!

You can actually pay an additional (I believe monthly) fee to Price Management for a faster internet connection, but while yes, the internet is incredibly slow here, I personally only realize it when I'm watching videos (Youtube, ABC/NBC/Fox.com, etc). I happened to know my roommates in advance and so we all chipped in and bought a router before the program started - there was four of us so we paid about $12 each. If you're not trying to arrange an entire apartment in advance, just head to walmart on the first day and pick one up.

My router was $70. Just split the cost amongst roomies and there you have it! :) And if you need internet but don't know if you want to pay that, there are computers in the clubhouses at all complexes with internet access.

Thanks for the help! My dad (who works with computers and such for a living) is gonna be coming with me for a few days to help set up the apartment. Hopefully, he'll be able to finagle something that will make the internet at least a little better without having to pay. If not, I'll just find out how much it is a month. Thanks again!

o.o Last I checked, routers were more around $60-70. And there wouldn't need to be one in every dorm. People could pool their money and end up saving.

Our router came out to $32, and that was because we didn't want the cheapest one. We just went to Walmart and grabbed one.

One of my roommates brought a router so we have wireless in our apartment and it is very slow. I haven't tried using a cord but I don't think it'd be much of an improvement. There is a way to upgrade it for $75 or something which is supposed to help but I've heard mixed reviews on it.

Something else to keep in mind about the upgrade. The cost of that monthly upgrade is split among everyone living in that apartment. So say the upgrade is $60/monthly and there are 4 people living in the apartment. That's $15 everyone contributes; which Price Management automatically yanks out of your paycheck, along with your rent!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter