Wild Africa Trek for larger size people

SaltWaterKate

Kind. Compassionate. Happy!
Joining my sister's family at Disney this spring and they've booked the Wild Africa Trek at DAK for all of us. Can anyone who is of larger size (plus size, fluffy, deluxe, heavy-set, big boned, Pooh-shaped, fat, etc.) share their experience on this tour? Any challenges? Anything that went better or worse than you were expecting?

I see the weight limit is under 300 lbs, which I am, but I also see an advisory about harnesses and vests not fitting all body shapes. I also read on a Facebook group that you get weighed in. (Please tell me that your weight isn't displayed for the group to see?)

Any stories or insight would be appreciated - I want to be super excited about this, but for now I am stressed!

I’m not Pooh size, I’m more petite size. I have to say the harness is not that comfortable. I loosened it on me after they put it on, but they tighten it again. They do not show your weight. It’s a really nice tour.

First of all this is my absolute favorite tour! The CM's are spectacular!!! I have done this tour twice. I am about 190 lbs. and my husband is 250 lbs. And we have done the tour with several other larger size people. They do weigh everyone, big and small. The CM's are very don't reveal anyone's weight, it is all very private. No one had any trouble with the harness. I would say the activity level is moderate. Nothing too strenuous. A bit of hiking on a trail and some stairs to get the the rope bridges. The rope bridges seem like they would be tough but they aren't. Just take your time.

Attachments

• Wild Africa Trek 004.jpg
    Wild Africa Trek 004.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 147

DO IT!!! It was the best tour I have ever done at Disney! They weight you to fit you with the right harness, as others have said they do not display your weight. Was the harness comfortable? NO. Was it tolerable? Yes. (ps, for comparison I am 5'7" 260ish and very busty)

DO IT!!! It was the best tour I have ever done at Disney! They weight you to fit you with the right harness, as others have said they do not display your weight. Was the harness comfortable? NO. Was it tolerable? Yes. (ps, for comparison I am 5'7" 260ish and very busty)
Thanks

Great tour. The harness was just...odd...because who wears a harness??? But you'll get used to it. My son is 275 and had no problems.

We did it and it was an excellent tour. I had no issues at all with the harness, but my husband and older son didn't look super comfortable. They didn't complain about it though. The only thing that surprised me was that on the rope bridges, there are large areas with no planks to step on. You have to step kind of far to the next plank. I'm fairly short, but it was fine for me. I was a little worried about my 8 year old (about 50" tall) but he did fine too.

My DH and I did this tour and I say do it!! We are not large people but we were weighed (it is private) and fitted for a harness and it was kind of uncomfortable for both of us so size has nothing to do with it. The tour itself was not taxing or strenuous in any way. Yes there are spaces that seem large between planks on the rope bridge but there is netting underneath so if you miss-stepped you will not fall. Enjoy the tour!!

Daughter and I did this tour a few years ago...we’re both on the average side, and we both initially found the harnesses to be uncomfortable. Maybe “awkward” is the right word...and maybe it’s because we’re just not used to wearing a harness.

With that said, once we got involved with the tour, we both totally forgot we were even wearing the harness...we were so engrossed with what we were seeing, what we were doing, and what we were experiencing - we never gave the harness a second thought.

I have done just about 95% of the tours offered by WDW over the years, and without a doubt, Wild Africa Trek ranks up there near the BEST TOUR EVER. Please do it, and don’t mind the harness. Even if you find it a bit awkward, it’s not like you have it on for 8 hours - you’ll adapt for the 3-hour tour!

(And as others have said - don’t worry about the weigh-in. It’s completely private!)

Thank you all. I'm fine with an uncomfortable harness as long as it fits! But it sounds like everyone's had good experiences with it. I really appreciate the advice. (And am breathing a sigh of relief my weight won't be on display!)

I realise this thread is over 2 years old but the weigh restriction says 300lb including the harness - does anyone know what your personal weight max weight can be then?

I am “fluffy” I had no problems with the harness. Walking isn’t strenuous and the rope bridge is a lot of fun. Enjoy

Last edited:
I am about a size 16 and was fine. I was concerned about it being strenuous so I did a lot of walking before the trip. Wouldn’t have been necessary, the walking part is short through the woods.

i assume the weight limit is there in case you would fall, the line has to hold you.

I realise this thread is over 2 years old but the weigh restriction says 300lb including the harness - does anyone know what your personal weight max weight can be then?

I would be surprised if the harness weighed more than 3-4 pounds. It's a lightweight mesh vest with leg straps.

Can I just say....there are often some pretty snarky/judgy/ugly posts here about certain things, but it makes me happy to see these Pooh-sized questions be so helpful and just plain NICE. If you wouldn’t say something like that about a friend or family member, don’t say it to a virtual friend on the boards. KWIM?

I never seem to find time for this tour....we really need to DO this!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter