Will DCL use magic bands

And if they're moving towards using a phone based app for WDW and other land based facilities, this won't be practical for DCL, while virtually everyone has a phone on board the ship, they would have to enable some kind of cell based network for the phones to update information and transmit it across said network to work, and that's not something they're willing to foot the cost on. Also since DCL encourages guests to "unplug" while on board to enjoy the cruise experience, KTTW cards offer a single easy to carry identification/payment/information unit that is water proof and virtually indestructible. They're not going to go away in favor of the costly MB's or a phone based APP anytime soon at all.

I would prefer a magic band. Easier to swim with in pools/hot tubs or on excursions or CC. And in the Covid world, would be nice to simply hold out an arm to cashier rather than taking off the lanyard (I certainly won’t be doing the lean-in-your-face-close move so they can scan the lanyard while wearing it). Plus when I hand wash the band gets clean too—sanitize-wiping down a lanyard sounds annoying.
Replying to my own message because it just occurred to me a lot of the issues with the lanyard (sanitizing, "leaning in" close to have them read your card, needing to take it off for swimming) would be fixed if I wore it as a wristlet instead of a lanyard. Going to do that for our upcoming cruise I think. Still, magic band would be nicer.

Even tho MB's are no longer complimentary for WDW resort stays, they are decently discounted. Initially plain colored MBs were $12.99 and now $14.99 retail; cost for resort stay guests is $5. I think the prices on the upgrade styles stayed the same?

really? didn't notice it on our latest cruise this past March.
The RFID chip is imbedded between both sides of the card. You cannot see it. Anytime you can tap something, like at pay point or a door lock, and it reacts, you can assume there’s a RFID chip involved. They are dirt cheap, thin as paper and can be inserted everywhere.

That's how the door opens to the room, just tap it. Don't have to put it in the slot any longer.

I've actually never sailed when they had the slots.. just the tap..never occurred to me that the chip is in between the sides as @Marc D says ...some things I just don't think about.. when mentioning chips, I always think about the chips the credit cards have, on the outside...

I would like to see the bands implemented onboard. I feel that it will be more of an app thing moving forward though but not everyone wants to take their device around the ship, so DCL will need to figure out what works for everyone. As of right now...the KTTW is perfect. If they eliminated the KTTW I guess we'd lose our lanyards?

I think it's safe to say that the KTTW cards aren't going anywhere. My family all have our own custom MB's, and we all have devices and use the DCL app. But if people don't have those, there's not a common platform everyone can use. Plus, you get into issues getting back on board the ship - the port officials expect a ship ID card. Some ports are more strict than others.

KTTW cards are probably purchased by the 10's of thousands at minimal cost to DCL, which is why they don't charge you for a replacement. They're cheap, reliable and easy to replace. If your key was your phone and the battery died, you're hosed. If it's your MB and you lose it, you're hosed. If it's your KTTW card, Guest Services prints you a new one and deletes your old one. Problem solved.

Plus, as many have pointed out - it's one of my favorite mementos of the cruise!

If it's your MB and you lose it, you're hosed.
Not necessarily--with the Oceaneer club bands, they'll give you another one, it'll just cost you a fee for the lost one (approx $13 I think). We've definitely had to buy replacements at WDW as well when a band went missing--not a really big deal (the one that scares me is the wave phone since that has a more expensive fee if you lose it; but so far we've been lucky not to lose it).

I suspect that if they do introduce MBs, it will be as an "upcharge" option--they'll give you the card for free, but you can pay $10 per person and get a band as well.

Not necessarily--with the Oceaneer club bands, they'll give you another one, it'll just cost you a fee for the lost one (approx $13 I think). We've definitely had to buy replacements at WDW as well when a band went missing--not a really big deal (the one that scares me is the wave phone since that has a more expensive fee if you lose it; but so far we've been lucky not to lose it).

I suspect that if they do introduce MBs, it will be as an "upcharge" option--they'll give you the card for free, but you can pay $10 per person and get a band as well.
I agree it would be an upcharge, since the resorts aren't going to be giving them away for free come January.

More likely, they'll add it to the app, which I don't like. It means everyone has to bring their own device and carry it around the ship. I'd much rather a magic band or a card.

I agree with you on all counts. I love my iPhone but don't want to bring it to the pool. I mean if it was an option to use it, (and the technology exists) it would be great if it was my choice, however, i wouldn't want to not have a room key. I also am not going to hand my Iphone over to the spa staff for a rainforest room key.

Disney will still need a solution for kids without smartphones as well as for water-based activities; the bands are ideal for that.

Chances are the cards aren't going away anytime soon. Even if they adopt a band for whatever reason. The card is used for re-entry to the port areas in many foreign ports. There's no way DCL is going to invest in the technology & training necessary in multiple foreign ports to be able to read the bands.
Princess Cruise Line is doing away with them. You get a medallion that is mailed to you prior to the cruise. It can be worn as a necklace, bracelet, or a pin. The tech is out there, and it is being employed.

Also since DCL encourages guests to "unplug" while on board to enjoy the cruise experience,

I dont think this is true any longer since DCL doesnt deliver printed schedules. While you can still pick one up at Guest Services (if they havent run out), I believe they would prefer you use your phone. Last cruise my stateroom attendant would not deliver, I know some will if requested but not all.

I dont think this is true any longer since DCL doesnt deliver printed schedules. While you can still pick one up at Guest Services (if they havent run out), I believe they would prefer you use your phone. Last cruise my stateroom attendant would not deliver, I know some will if requested but not all.

Do you mean they did away with the paper navigator?! That would be a bummer! I like to collect them as a souvenir of our trip. We got one every day the last time we sailed....2018.

Do you mean they did away with the paper navigator?! That would be a bummer! I like to collect them as a souvenir of our trip. We got one every day the last time we sailed....2018.
They still have the paper Navigator, it's just not delivered to your room onboard any longer. You can pick them up at Guest Services (as long as they last). As noted, sometimes you get an obliging room host who will get them for you.

I don't like it either. I use them for keeping things straight for setting up my scrapbooks when I get home.

They still have the paper Navigator, it's just not delivered to your room onboard any longer. You can pick them up at Guest Services (as long as they last). As noted, sometimes you get an obliging room host who will get them for you.

I don't like it either. I use them for keeping things straight for setting up my scrapbooks when I get home.

That’s very disappointing! Hopefully our stateroom host is willing to provide them. We’ll be sailing concierge...maybe that will help!

People seem addicted to MB. Guess no different than a KTTW card. My only experience with them was my one trip to WDW and the MB kept getting snagged on stuff and coming off.
I hope they don't switch to a system dependent on smart phones. The beauty of a cruise is you lock your phone and wallet in the safe, and just slip your KTTW card in your pocket. One of the stadiums we were at during Spring Training in Phoenix used the ticketless scan your ticket off your phone system. Took FOREVER to get into the stadium because like every third person had some issue with calling up the ticket, or getting it read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter