Will Disney ever close?

CheshireSmile

Mouseketeer
Just something I've been musing about today while reading the hullabaloo over the increase in stroller prices. Lots of people are saying that with all the price increases for tickets, rooms, meals, and now strollers, that Disney is becoming unaffordable, or something only the very well-off can afford. I'm just wondering on peoples' opinions if you think Disney would ever become either so expensive, or just unpopular, that it would close?

Myself personally, I don't think so. I think Disney is going to be a very long-lasting institution. But I do think that it is going to continue to increase in price forever, and that that will mean fewer people are able to afford it, which is unfortunate, but I cannot imagine the huge amount of cost that goes into running a resort like Disney World. I also cannot imagine a world without Disney, I would be very sad to see such a positive and happy place close.

(Sorry if I've bummed anyone out with this question, I know we all love Disney, I was just wondering what other people might think)

Unthinkable,never see that happening.If anything they would have to lower prices maybe or do more incentive things but no never. Theres alway a way you can stay offsite some places are very cheap. Do cheap meals the only real cost tickets.

I'm just wondering on peoples' opinions if you think Disney would ever become either so expensive, or just unpopular, that it would close?

Even though it's going up for those of us in the states... it's going down for everyone else in the world. Because our dollar is so weak right now, Disney is making all of its money off of people traveling from other countries!!!

Disney Parks and Resorts have the backing of one of the world's largest media companies, so even if tourism were to take a short-term tank, there's still plenty of other sources of revenue from within the company.

Right now, at WDW, things are going alright. Resort hotel occupancy was at 86% in fiscal year 2006, which was up over 83% the previous year. Attendance increased by 5% over the previous year.

Unless Florida drowns, I think WDW is okay into the near future at least :)
Nick

Like Nick said, unless Florida goes down, the parks/resorts offering at Walt Disney World Resort isn't going anywhere. Even if there is some blowback due to any weakness the economy, people will continue to visit WDW (and here's one way to think of it- if our economy and our dollar isn't doing too hot, it makes trips for international visitors more favorable- while I'm not saying that you could ever expect a case where the ratio of domestic guests to international guests would be so unproportionate, it is something to consider.)

Beyond that, Disney understands what the market can bare. I believe it is a safe assumption that Disney will modify pricing if their prime markets call for it. There is probably some very articulate thought behind any special promotions that Disney extends, and you better believe that market conditions are a big factor in such offers.

A simple fact bared out in the numbers, publicly filed, suggests that even with increased pricing and the given economic conditions/market environment, the yield at WDW is better than it has been year over year.

Every company will eventually be bought out and be assimilated into another company. Disney is probably the only exception to this. They are a media superpower, they control most the sales in the DVD market, not to mention other merchandise. Disney is a company which will keep growing and growing. There definitely is no end in sight.

Even though it's going up for those of us in the states... it's going down for everyone else in the world. Because our dollar is so weak right now, Disney is making all of its money off of people traveling from other countries!!!

That'd certainly fit with what I saw in December...

Anyway. No, Disney's not going anywhere as a result of economics. Now, the 2079 asteroid impact that wipes out half of Florida, that's gonna cause WDW some trouble. But even then, they're just going to teleport Epcot to Tokyo anyway, so...

That'd certainly fit with what I saw in December...

Anyway. No, Disney's not going anywhere as a result of economics. Now, the 2079 asteroid impact that wipes out half of Florida, that's gonna cause WDW some trouble. But even then, they're just going to teleport Epcot to Tokyo anyway, so...

2079, wow, imagine what the stroller situation would be like THEN!
Wonder if all the 'classic' attractions would still be around in 2079, can just imagine like a museum of the old attractions. Everything else would be majorly interactive, or 3-D, or who knows what they'll come up with by 2079. Maybe they'll have finally invented hoverboards by then, I've wanted one ever since I saw Back to the Future 2 and I've been waiting patiently ever since!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter