Will Disney help the way Universal did?

You're lucky, when I took my autistic son to Universal, it was awful. I will never go back there again.

we had a truly horrible experience at universal too, they didn't accomodate either of my daughters' numerous special needs at all

We’re planning a trip to Universal with a young lady with special needs (cognitive) as well as mobility issues. We’d love to be as prepared as possible to make the trip wonderful for her. Would y’all mind giving a few details about where universal fell short? Are they particular difficult to get an assistance pass (or whatever they call it) from? Are the team members at attractions, not aware of it, so don’t provide the accommodations? Thanks is advance for any details.

My daughters have multiple severe medical problems and some milder cognitive problems that cause many different issues waiting in lines. But they would not let us use the assistance pass. Then they wouldn't give us stroller as wheelchair tags, they said my older daughters adaptive stroller would be recognized as a wheelchair without the tag (for the most part it was, but I did have to explain a few times) and they said my younger daughter didn't need one (she has mild cp and can walk well but tires easily). I think the problem was I gave them a lengthy list of the problems related to waiting in lines, but both my daughters look completely healthy and typical. It's hard for people to believe such healthy looking kids can be so sick, and I suspect they thought I was lying

My daughters have multiple severe medical problems and some milder cognitive problems that cause many different issues waiting in lines. But they would not let us use the assistance pass. Then they wouldn't give us stroller as wheelchair tags, they said my older daughters adaptive stroller would be recognized as a wheelchair without the tag (for the most part it was, but I did have to explain a few times) and they said my younger daughter didn't need one (she has mild cp and can walk well but tires easily). I think the problem was I gave them a lengthy list of the problems related to waiting in lines, but both my daughters look completely healthy and typical. It's hard for people to believe such healthy looking kids can be so sick, and I suspect they thought I was lying
Thank you. I’m so sorry to hear they were so difficult to deal with. I think things do vary widely (OP’s experience vs. yours, different disabilities, etc.), but it’s good for us to be prepared as we can for whatever, so I really appreciate your answer.

Thank you. I’m so sorry to hear they were so difficult to deal with. I think things do vary widely (OP’s experience vs. yours, different disabilities, etc.), but it’s good for us to be prepared as we can for whatever, so I really appreciate your answer.
I would be prepared for PP's experience more than OP's. I think OP's experience is the only positive one I've really ever seen. Definitely the only one I've seen to rate Universal's handling of disabilities higher than Disney's.

we had a truly horrible experience at universal too, they didn't accomodate either of my daughters' numerous special needs at all

Same here. I used a scooter and they made me get out of the scooter and actually STAND in line. My disability doesn’t allow me to stand or walk for a long distance without discomfort and Universal’s lines were too long. When I asked for a manual chair to push myself in, they said that they were “all out” when they had 5 of them to the side.

And on another ride, I was actually allowed to stay in my scooter while I waited in line. (YAY!), but as soon as it was time to get on the ride itself, I was redirected to go in the “Special ride vehicle” which was just a long bench that didn’t move, more like watching a glorified 5 minute movie. while the rest of my party was able to board the actual ride.

I was soo happy when we got back to Disney and we all agreed to never go back to Universal given their ableist attitude towards me.

Same here. I used a scooter and they made me get out of the scooter and actually STAND in line.

Yes I had problems there as well last year. I had to rent a scooter from them but had a dandy of a time trying to figure out what to do at each ride. Even the employees weren't sure at times what to do (take it in the que? park it and walk, park it and someone in my party push me in a w/c?). I few times they also told me they were supposed to have a w/c available (so a family member could push me) but they didn't. One time I know they put us through the express line (at the Mummy I think) - I can't remember what happened at other times. I just remember my overall impression was UGH - and I'll spend my money at Disney.

I can walk and stand but standing in a long que wouldn't work for me. I'm good with going through the express pass ques (or FP que at Disney) - but I'm usually REALLY slow at walking so I'll often take the scooter if I can. I think if I visit Universal/IOA again I would only do so if we stay onsite in a hotel that gives the Express Pass or pay for it. I've rarely had a good experience lately with US/IOA.

Are the Disney provided chairs at the rides that require a transfer from an ECV wheelchairs or transport chairs? I could wheel myself thru a line in a wheelchair. A transport chair obviously cannot be self propelled.

Years ago Universal would let you take your scooter into almost all the rides. Then they took that away and denied that it was ever true (believe me it was). Now there are very few that allow it. The only ride that comes to mind is Men in Black. Most all the shows allow scooters except for Minion. And if you go to Islands of adventure you might as well plan on parking your scooter. When Spiderman first opened you could take a scooter thru the exit, not anymore.

Experiences are very different. I've never had a problem getting an assistance pass for my autistic son. If you do happen to run into problems, I'd ask for a supervisor.

Or maybe the TMs at Universal were more willing to help like most decent people would. But go ahead and tell yourself that Disney is just SOOOO BUSY if it makes you feel better.

It would be based on policy, not willingness, IMO. It opens a whole can of liability issues. Since there are so many more scooters and WCs at Disney than at Universal (and I go to both) think of all the CMs that would get tied up doing this.

WRT to the pass at US, IIRC It is much harder to just get given to you as it provides an experience everyone else has to pay for and ADA prohibits getting something for free if 'able bodied' people have to pay for the same sort of access. because the Express pass has a cost, they do not give them out all willy nilly to those requiring special accommodations for free. but FP+ is free for everyone so the DAS which is pretty much the exact same thing is given out much more readily.

we always say at a deluxe so it comes with our package, but I also recall that overall the lines at US are much more crowded and cramped( narrower) than most Disney lines. I am just in a manual chair and we found it very tight on occasion. I honestly can't see an ECV having an easy time of it over all.

We’re planning a trip to Universal with a young lady with special needs (cognitive) as well as mobility issues. We’d love to be as prepared as possible to make the trip wonderful for her. Would y’all mind giving a few details about where universal fell short? Are they particular difficult to get an assistance pass (or whatever they call it) from? Are the team members at attractions, not aware of it, so don’t provide the accommodations? Thanks is advance for any details.

When it came to mobility issues, since we were both on scooters, we stopped at Guest Services in the park and told them what our needs were and they gave us the pass. They said that if we had any issues, just to ask for the "ride lead" when we arrived at the entrance and that we would be taken care of from there. We were told that in the case of some rides, that there still wasn't anything that could be done and that was ok. Overall, we still had an extremely positive experience at Universal.

Or maybe the TMs at Universal were more willing to help like most decent people would. But go ahead and tell yourself that Disney is just SOOOO BUSY if it makes you feel better.

I've always seen cast members willing to help at Disney. However...they are not allowed to do things like push wheelchairs for liability reasons (and I don't blame Disney on that one- I would not feel comfortable pushing a wheelchair up a slope)

Unfortunately some times being a "decent person" is not part of the job description. And sometimes when you are working you have to follow company policy. Just like it someone falls where I work I can't run up and go "Oh my gosh are you ok? I'm so sorry your tripped!" Because that may indicate liability.

Just how many extra CMs do you think Disney should have hanging around just in case someone needs to be pushed around? And what exactly do you think should happen if they hit a bump or bash someone's leg on a wall or something? Unfortunately some people would sue over the slightest mishap.

I know that many rides have been mainstreamed at Disney, but many still require that you transfer to a wheelchair to access the ride. Those are the rides that present the issue for us. Without a helper, neither of us can access the ride, because neither of us can maneuver a wheelchair by ourselves through the lines that require wheelchair transfers.

At Universal, because of our situation, there were only a handful of rides between the two parks that there was not some sort of work around in place that allowed us to use our scooters in the lines, via alternate paths, because they worked with our issues. They also, in the places where there was a need for a wheelchair, they called for a CM to push us. We had no problem waiting for the CM's, because it was so wonderful to actually be able to access the rides and again, everyone was so pleasant about it all.

I used FP and DAS all through our last trip to Disney. It's not like I haven't been dozens of times as a scooter user. I just never had found the access to rides to be as strictly limited as it seemed to have been last year. I had not been to Disney since 2013, so there was a 4 year break and it seemed to have made quite a difference.
In my experience there are usually alternatives at many attractions to having to transfer to a wheelchair for the queue. Here are my PERSONAL experiences, your millage may vary, but this is what I know are options:
  • Star Tours - I don't believe there is an option for this attraction, but I could be wrong as I tend to only ride this one at Disneyland where I know there is no option.
  • Toy Story Midway Mania - Can take the ECV up to the load platform as far as I am aware, but must transfer to a regular chair before boarding or ride in a regular vehicle.
  • Rock n Roller Coaster - Explain to them that neither of you can push a wheelchair through the queue, they should then send you to the exit. This unfortunately means you miss the excellent queue, but you can at least ride the attraction. CMs don't tend to mind this one too much in my experience.
  • Tower of Terror - Likewise there is an alternative entrance that can be used, the CMs don't like using it, but it is there. They will send you through the exit and give some directions, just follow what they say to do, as someone will need to alert them that you are coming that way since they tend not to staff that entrance.
  • Haunted Mansion - Again, you will have to push them a bit on it as their "standard" procedure is to have you transfer, but simply explain why that won't work, there is an alternative.
  • Train at Magic Kingdom - You cannot take the scooter on with you, but you can ride the train round trip and leave the scooters at the station you board at, just ask when you get to the top of the ramp.
  • Aladdin's Magic Carpets - You can take the ECV up to the ride, but must transfer.
  • Pirates - They do have a way to handle ECVs, but they REALLY do not like to use it, you will have to be EXTREMELY persistent.
  • Buzz - You can take the ECV in with you, but when you exit it will be moved a fair distance away unless you let the CM know that this won't work when you are boarding.
  • Splash Mountain - You may take the ECV up to load.
  • Carousel - You can take the ECV up to load, but must transfer
  • Small World - You can take the ECV up to load, but must transfer
  • Peter Pan - You must be able to walk the length of the FP queue, there are no other options here.
  • Little Mermaid - Can take ECV to load, but must transfer to regular wheelchair or vehicle.
  • Winnie the Pooh - Can take ECV to load, but must transfer to regular wheelchair or vehicle.
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle - Must transfer to wheelchair, although I have seen ECVs allowed, but never for our party.
  • Kilimanjaro Safari - Can take ECV to load platform, but must transfer to regular wheelchair or vehicle for the ride
  • Dinosaur - Can take ECV to load, but must transfer to ride vehicle.
  • Spaceship Earth - You will enter in the exit and if it is busy they will come up with a viable solution for you.
  • Mission Space - Can take the ECV in to load, but must transfer and may need to navigate two or three seats.
  • Test Track - Can take ECV up to load, but must transfer.
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends - They will direct you where to go, usually off to the side, but there is an entrance for those who cannot push a wheelchair through the queue. You cannot remain in the ECV on the attraction though, you will need to transfer to either a manual chair or ride vehicle.
  • Living with the Land - You can take the ECV to the load area, but must transfer to either a standard chair or ride vehicle.
  • Gran Fiesta Tour - There is an option for those in ECVs, but like small world and other boat rides you need to either transfer to a standard wheelchair or vehicle for the ride.
Note: These are all based on my own personal experiences and at some locations you need to be a bit more aggressive than others, but most should be doable. In all cases explain that while there are indeed two of you, neither of you is capable of pushing a wheelchair through the queue.

Pirates because you exit in an entirely different building, so there's generally no efficient way for CMs to move ECVs.

Tower was explained to me as the lines being too narrow or having too many turns to navigate for all ECVs, so they don't accommodate any ECVs.
Pirates does have an option, they don't like using it, but there is an elevator and since it is there, legally they would be required to use it if anyone insisted because that would be providing equal access.

Tower does indeed accommodate ECVs, you just have to insist upon it, again it is an elevator at the exit. This is also what they use to accommodate those with crowd issues in the library.

I have had to use a wheelchair a few times and at space ( I was alone) the CM asked if I needed someone to push me ( never asked) this happens at lest 2x one i asked. One time I was being bushed the CM got a call and said I am doing a code ( forgot the number ) I asked him what that meant and he said that was the code for pushing a wheelchair guest though the line. He told they did this at space since the line is so steep and long and since at the end of the line is a wheelchair cut off so it does not take that long. He also said that if there was anyone else in your group they would not do this that it was only for single people. I have also seen CM pushing other guest in and out of the line The other thing a CM can do is give you a hand or an arm to steady your self only of the CM feels that can do it this is up to the CM at the time
That is interesting, as I often hear that they aren't allowed to push for legal reasons.

Pirates does have an option, they don't like using it, but there is an elevator and since it is there, legally they would be required to use it if anyone insisted because that would be providing equal access
Not chalenging, curious: have you actually experienced using this option? My understanding is that the tunnel which brings the empty boats back to the loading area is not high enough for people to ride through it. Or is there a different elevator?

Cast Members are not allowed to assist guests. I have zero idea on Univeral's policy on Team Members. It's great that, on the OP's last visit, there were Team Members available to push their wheelchairs. REally. But that level of assistance should never be expected. Ever. It's presumptuous and can lead to unreasonable expectations: "What do you mean, you can't spare two employees to stay with us and push us in wheelchairs? You did it for _____! (or, ...did it last time; or, ...Universal does it!!!)"

No. Visitors expecting or requiring personalized assistance should, reasonably,he expected to provide it themselves.

Sarcasm absolutely not required. I was being tactful.
Actually, it isn't presumptuous, if the queue was designed in a way that would not accommodate an ECV, then reason would dictate that someone should be available to push the wheelchair through the queue for guests who cannot do so on their own. The goes double if it is only because of a new policy, such as the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. Again, we usually get they can't push for legal reasons, but I am not so sure this would hold up in court as other theme parks and zoos do provide such accommodations. Sorry, but a poorly designed queue is not my responsibility, my responsibility is to obtain the best type of assistance for me and that may be an ECV, which means that the queues need to be designed to reasonably accommodate an ECV or have an alternative entrance that can do so. Which is why I usually take issue with them saying they can't push for legal reasons, as I said, I hear that being said a lot, but it doesn't make it necessarily true.

Not chalenging, curious: have you actually experienced using this option? My understanding is that the tunnel which brings the empty boats back to the loading area is not high enough for people to ride through it. Or is there a different elevator?
I have indeed experienced this personally, basically there are two elevators, one goes down at the entrance and the other comes back up at the exit. If it is your personal ECV, they will ask that you transfer to a wheelchair before going down, but the total distance is probably less than 50 feet. They can allow park ECVs down, as they can handle the liability for getting them back up. Again you have to be extremely insistent to get this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!