Will Disney require a vaccine to cruise?

So now the argument is that vaccines are required to protect others and not just the person getting the vaccine? When will it end? At least people can't be easily shamed for not getting a vaccine, unlike mask wearing. At some point personal responsibility should win out.

That's how they work though..? The antibodies fight the virus, the person doesn't get as sick (ideally) and then spread less or none of the virus. When I worked at a hospital I was required to get the flu shot, not for myself, but for the patients. I'd never had one before, but get them every year now because I figure why not. Aside from a sore arm for a day or two I've had no other side effects and if it helps other people then that's great. I'm still young enough that I don't really mind if I get sick or not - I get enough colds anyway. :laughing:

As others have said I'm not sure if Disney will require it per se, but if a country does then they will either work around that or require you to have proof of vaccination before boarding for that itinerary.

That's how they work though..?
Yes, that’s exactly how they work. A critical mass of people get the vaccine and the spread is lessened to almost 0. When an insufficient number of people get the vaccine, disease transmission continues thereby allowing increased chance of mutation etc. which would then make the vaccine less effective. (There are other factors too of course, but that’s the gist of it.)

Certainly cruise lines (or other employers) can require vaccinations of their employees. Especially if they are public facing ones. But I don't think they can require it of the public coming to those places.

As I said, a cruise line can stop someone from boarding if they haven't had a specific vaccination IF one of the countries they are porting at requires it, not because the cruise line is requiring it of their passengers.
I think the first global pandemic in a century, the lost lives, and the economic impact may be justification enough to change the rules from what used to be the norm - only time will tell.

Until a vaccine is widely available, I don't see a cruiseline requiring it. They want to get back to business sooner rather than later. Individual countries may require it, in which case a cruise line may decide to adjust an itinerary if they don't believe most passengers will have access to it yet.
I think this is the key. CA has announced the priority for vaccine distribution - first responders, then the most vulnerable, then practically everyone else - then whatever category I would be in it seems. "People wanting to go in vacation" would also seem to be a pretty low priority group. Personally I'd rope drop the line to get one if I could. I even tried to volunteer for the vaccine trials but did not get selected.

I think the first global pandemic in a century, the lost lives, and the economic impact may be justification enough to change the rules from what used to be the norm - only time will tell.
People are people, and people have short memories. Yes, there will be some changes, but the moment that something can be dropped for convenience and/or cost savings they will be. There very fact that anti-vaxxers and flat earthers exist just proves that.

Which is why it bothers me when some ppl go somewhere and don't wear their mask correctly. Work for me was straining because I've had to keep telling ppl to wear their mask and they just wouldn't follow through with the rule. They don't know how selfish they are being, or maybe they do and are just that selfish. It's simple to just stay home and save your money, if you know you're not gonna wear your mask at all times (other than eating and drinking obviously)
Those who do not wear a mask unless forced to or wear it incorrectly on purpose will be first in line to sue a physician or healthcare professional for the same thing--if they even slightly imagined they may have contracted a deadly virus from the person who is providing care.

Interesting question, I know I will get vaccinated if it's safe enough even if it's not a requirement. With a Autoimmune Disease I would as long as it was safe for me. As for cruise lines I could see them having crew have to be vaccinated, passengers I wonder though. I know people mentioned when going other places you have to depending where so if another country wants proof I could see it happening

Yes, that’s exactly how they work. A critical mass of people get the vaccine and the spread is lessened to almost 0. When an insufficient number of people get the vaccine, disease transmission continues thereby allowing increased chance of mutation etc. which would then make the vaccine less effective. (There are other factors too of course, but that’s the gist of it.)
The disease spread is not less just because people got vaccinated. The disease will spread less IF the vaccine is effective, and then less people will be getting the virus and spreading it.

So now the argument is that vaccines are required to protect others and not just the person getting the vaccine? When will it end? At least people can't be easily shamed for not getting a vaccine, unlike mask wearing. At some point personal responsibility should win out.

It's not a new argument. It's the way vaccines work. Take the measles spread at Disneyland. If someone isn't vaccinated and is carrying a virus, they can spread that virus to plenty of people, some of who chose to not vaccinate, some who cannot vaccinate for medical reasons, and some who didn't make antibodies when they were vaccinated. We don't get vaccines just to protect ourselves, but to protect the most vulnerable people around us.

Which is why it bothers me when some ppl go somewhere and don't wear their mask correctly. Work for me was straining because I've had to keep telling ppl to wear their mask and they just wouldn't follow through with the rule. They don't know how selfish they are being, or maybe they do and are just that selfish. It's simple to just stay home and save your money, if you know you're not gonna wear your mask at all times (other than eating and drinking obviously)

We never wear masks and don't intend to. You may consider that selfish. That is your prerogative. I don't care whether or not it bothers you that people don't wear their masks correctly. That is a you problem. I thought this site was supposed to be about cruising.

We never wear masks and don't intend to. You may consider that selfish. That is your prerogative. I don't care whether or not it bothers you that people don't wear their masks correctly. That is a you problem. I thought this site was supposed to be about cruising.

It is a forum about cruising, cruising that is currently not happening due to a global pandemic. You replied to a specific thread involving cruising requiring a vaccine for the virus that has brought on said global pandemic.

It's not a new argument. It's the way vaccines work. Take the measles spread at Disneyland. If someone isn't vaccinated and is carrying a virus, they can spread that virus to plenty of people, some of who chose to not vaccinate, some who cannot vaccinate for medical reasons, and some who didn't make antibodies when they were vaccinated. We don't get vaccines just to protect ourselves, but to protect the most vulnerable people around us.
Definitely not a new argument. When I was pregnant five years ago there was an uptick in whooping cough, which is not a big deal for adults but very dangerous to babies. My OB recommended I, my DH and the baby’s grandparents all get vaccinated to protect baby when we was born and we did.

If the vaccine is widely available it is far superior to testing to create a safe environment on the ship. Tests have false negatives, and also may turn up negative after a person has been infected but before the virus has reached a detectable level—meaning a person boards only to become contagious in day 2 or 3 of the cruise. Testing as a way to prevent covid on cruises is like russian roulette. Not to mention that even with testing, you would need bubble excursions to prevent people from catching the illness at ports. Vaccinations solves all of that. I expect cruise lines will start requiring it as soon as it becomes widely available.

No, this is a site about Disney parks, news, travel, and other things Disney related. It's a fact that a lot of things are off limits in several countries when you choose not wear a mask. Cruising is most likely going to be one of them. Disney is not going to be the exception to that.

That you say that do not care, makes that you know it's selfish. But that's fine, it's healthy to have a sense of self (pun intended). And it does open an interesting question: You are anti-mask, where do you stand on vaccines and will you get vaccinated when that's required to cruise?

I have an Autoimmune Disease and I am an essential worker as a SS teacher who still has to teach in person. So I am going to get the vaccine as soon as it is available as long as the reliable drs and scientist say it is good... not just a certain politician pushing it .. In Colorado I am on the list they say can get the vaccine early, only the medical staff are ahead of me. But I will not be going cruising or even vacation out of my state till I get it. I cancelled many of my trips this summer and only did the camping ones in Colorado to be safe.

I think countries are going to be the ones who will enforce the vaccine issue on the cruise ships, that is something many countries already require when visiting.

Also another issue, the testing on the vaccines have not been done on children yet so it will be even longer before they approve it for children. So I could see the cruise ships saying adults must have it but children do not since they will not be available even longer after it is available for adults.

Or something else they could do give a special wrist band to people who had vaccines so they do not need to wear masks, while all those who did not have one has to wear a mask.

(On a separate issue jane01jp please be kind to those of us who have to work in person and put our lives on the line.)

No, this is a site about Disney parks, news, travel, and other things Disney related. It's a fact that a lot of things are off limits in several countries when you choose not wear a mask. Cruising is most likely going to be one of them. Disney is not going to be the exception to that.

That you say that do not care, makes that you know it's selfish. But that's fine, it's healthy to have a sense of self (pun intended). And it does open an interesting question: You are anti-mask, where do you stand on vaccines and will you get vaccinated when that's required to cruise?

If there is a safe vaccine, I will probably take it. I only used the term "selfish" in response to the previous self-righteous post. Many people would think we were selfish for not wearing masks when the flu was going around in past years. Many others would think we were selfish for spending so lavishly on vacations instead of giving the money to the poor. Self-righteousness has no end.

Not wearing a mask just means that you don't care if you infect others. I find that a bit selfish.

This site is about cruising. And mask wearing while cruising is a subject others are interested in.

Just as I warned a poster responding to you in another thread so I must warn you here - respectfully share your opinions to your hearts content but please do not personally attack people as that is against the board rules.

PS - telling people repeatedly that you do not care what they think also does not align with the board rules. Masks will be a given when cruising returns unless something changes drastically and soon. We are a community. If you are not here to engage in conversation and appreciate your fellow cruisers then I am not sure this is the right place for you.

Further posts have been removed. Again, we do not tolerate personal attacks here. Opinions should be given respectfully where we disagree.

If there is a safe vaccine, I will probably take it. I only used the term "selfish" in response to the previous self-righteous post. Many people would think we were selfish for not wearing masks when the flu was going around in past years. Many others would think we were selfish for spending so lavishly on vacations instead of giving the money to the poor. Self-righteousness has no end.
Honestly I don't care if someone pro-mask or anti-mask. If there's a place that doesn't have masks being mandatory and someone is comfortable going there, then go. Just like how if someone doesn't want to go someone where it is mandatory, then don't go. What I care about is someone going somewhere where the rule clearly states you have to wear the mask and they don't follow the rules. It's a rule in place for a reason just like any other rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter