Will Disneyland Reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a chance that Disneyland and any other parks in the state will never reopen at all?
I think this is really unlikely. The physical capital is too valuable for no one to want to purchase and operate again in the future, though it wouldn't surprise me if very small local amusement centers don't make it or get bought out. But I've given up on predicting any reopening date at all. Probably sometime in 2021 is my best guess.

Is there a chance that Disneyland and any other parks in the state will never reopen at all?
Not reopen for the next year until a Vaccine is widely available and 70% of the population has been given it. Sure there is a chance. A very, incredible small chance. But NO it is not likely that Theme Parks will NEVER reopen.

I think this is really unlikely. The physical capital is too valuable for no one to want to purchase and operate again in the future, though it wouldn't surprise me if very small local amusement centers don't make it or get bought out. But I've given up on predicting any reopening date at all. Probably sometime in 2021 is my best guess.

That's the problem, I don't know when it will reopen. The fact that the state legislature is joining the fray is an interesting development, but even that may not be enough.

Something will have to give soon. All those jobs, taxes..... California can't recover without Disneyland. I think.. hope that this pressure is enough. If not I don't see Disney holding back on going to court. Newsom has very little legal ground to stand on, especially with cases declining and OC moving hopefully to orange.

It makes me wonder IF that is what he is waiting for and then he announces his guideline and Disney announces it's opening dates.

Something will have to give soon. All those jobs, taxes..... California can't recover without Disneyland. I think.. hope that this pressure is enough. If not I don't see Disney holding back on going to court. Newsom has very little legal ground to stand on, especially with cases declining and OC moving hopefully to orange.

It makes me wonder IF that is what he is waiting for and then he announces his guideline and Disney announces it's opening dates.

I doubt it will go so far as to reach the courts, and even if they did, it would be a long, long time before the situation would be resolved, much longer than 2021. Lawsuits tend to be like that, you know.

For those participating in this thread: When someone wants to stir the pot, you don't have to be stirred. If you care to use it, the Ignore button works. Same reminder, same theme, same poster.

I have given up hope on ever going this year, but I am still not ready to countenance the place being closed until 2021. Yet as each day inches closer to the end of the year, it feels like it will be the case.

Take with a grain of salt... they are working VERY hard inside the gates. New parts for kitchens in New Orleans square are being put in. Food that was NOT in the fridges last week is now in there. Signs are on all bricks that you used to be sit on in New Orleans by Haunted Mansion. There are tons of cast managers training and taking classes.

I think it's very interesting that Tropicana is suddenly opening two weeks before the rumored date of opening. Makes sense.... and that their rates reflect the parks not open but it is ONLY for those two weeks and then it goes back to normal.

They are opening soon....

They've been doing prep work for months, yet given the lack of guidance from Sacramento (and the prodding from Disney and Anaheim for such), it seems like they are wasting their time.

The lawmakers joining the fray is an interesting development, but even that may not be enough.

Yep, as predicted. Unless whatever "adjustment" the state is doing in relation to testing numbers brings it below 4, although I doubt even that will be enough. OCs numbers last week and so far this week are trending up, so if we are thinking we might have to wait until the county moves to orange tier for the parks to open, we might be in for a long wait. At this point, we are close to a case rate of 5 per 100k again over the last few days.

Let's just hope that the theme park guidelines are TRULY separate from the tiers.

On another note, apparently the state quietly issued COMMUNITY PLAYGROUND guidelines this morning and one of our city council members posted about it on FB. The state guidelines are pretty strict, considering we are talking about outdoor activity here.

1. Masks are required
2. Do not allow members of different family groups to come within 6ft distance and do not use playgrounds if this requirement cannot be met
3.no eating or drinking on the playground
4. Wash/sanitize hands before and after using playground
5. Elderly people and those with compromised immune systems should avoid playgrounds
6. Caregivers must ensure that children from different households maintain 6ft distance at all times
7. Limit playground usage to 30 minutes
8. Do not exceed posted capacity limit of playground

This seems really excessive to me and if the state is being this strict about playgrounds, I really wonder what they will come up with for theme parks and other places like water parks (Great Wolf lodge, etc).

The lawmakers joining the fray will probably have no effect on Newsom or his team. If the Mayor of Anaheim's words have fallen on deaf ears, what chance do lawmakers have?

The lawmakers joining the fray will probably have no effect on Newsom or his team. If the Mayor of Anaheim's words have fallen on deaf ears, what chance do lawmakers have?

There's a tighter working relationship between the legislative branch and the executive branch of state gov't vs. random mayor dude in a city 500 miles away :flower1:

There's a tighter working relationship between the legislative branch and the executive branch of state gov't vs. random mayor dude in a city 500 miles away :flower1:

But even that may not be enough, especially if cases are starting to trend upwards again. As for a potential lawsuit, that could easily drag on for months, long into 2021, even 2022. Lawsuits tend to do that. All the while, things will not be done until after the final outcome there.

No.

Smaller amusement parks may have issues, but Disney and Universal, etc. definitely will reopen at some point.

I'm pretty sure, though, that they won't be reopening for a long, long time to come. I have heard that cases in Orange County are starting to trend upward again, so it may be in the "red" position for a long time to come. For all we know, it may even go back to "purple".

But even that may not be enough, especially if cases are starting to trend upwards again. As for a potential lawsuit, that could easily drag on for months, long into 2021, even 2022. Lawsuits tend to do that. All the while, things will not be done until after the final outcome there.

The plantiffs can ask for an emergency injunction, the question of executive power would have to be addressed at a later trial.

As a DIS shareholder I would think the company has a fiduciary duty to me and therefore must exhaust all legal avenues in reopening the park, including suing the government. IMO mandating closure this long goes beyond standard executive powers granted for emergencies and constitutes a regulatory taking under the 5th amendment and thus Disney can sue for inverse condemnation.

I think that case is so obviously in favor of the plantiff that CA would back down and the park would reopen.

The plantiffs can ask for an emergency injunction, the question of executive power would have to be addressed at a later trial.

The question is will that actually happen? So far, I haven't heard anything other than just "Open up, open up!"

Disney can sue demanding to be given a fair chance to open and to be given guidelines. In AZ, the gyms did this.. the case was heard a few days later and the judge immediately told the Governor that he had to issue guideline for a path to opening within a week. It was done and gyms did what they needed and have opened.

Actually opening and getting guideline are two different fights. One the Governor will have to do... either by his own doing or a judge's. Actually opening will depend on if they can meet those guidelines. Legally if they can , he can't stop Disney from opening.

The problem is that it's not just Disneyland, but all parks in the state. They are apparently lumped together as one as part of a package deal. So Disneyland's reopening is dependent on, say, Gilroy Gardens reopening, for example. If Disney were to sue, they should all sue. And so far, I haven't heard anything about them actually doing that. And anyway, I haven't really heard hide or hair of the possibility of a lawsuit. Right now, it's just all talk - among ourselves, I might add - about what they could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!