Will holding points be extended?

hichicha

Earning My Ears
I haven't been able to find a thread/post talking about this. I booked my May 9-16 trip using some June 2019 UY holding points created earlier this year. My reservation was canceled a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if those holding points will also be extended into 2020? Thank you!

I haven't been able to find a thread/post talking about this. I booked my May 9-16 trip using some June 2019 UY holding points created earlier this year. My reservation was canceled a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if those holding points will also be extended into 2020? Thank you!
From the DVC website:
We know that some Members had reservations for Disney Vacation Club Resort stays during the closure period using Points that are set to expire. 2019 Use Year Points for April and June that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for these reservations will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. 2018 Use Year Points for April and June that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will be extended for six months from their current expiration date. Please note this temporary policy only includes expiring Points that were used to book a stay between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. In addition, to better support Member availability, Disney Vacation Club will not extend the life of our expiring developer Points.​

Since your holding points are June UY points that expire in 2020, they should be extended for 6 months but will probably have the same holding restrictions.

That extension notice was addressing what happened to April 2018 and June 2018 points banked into 2019 and regular 2019 April and June points that were used for for a March 12, 2020 reservation or after, which was cancelled because of the closure of the resorts. I understand from your post that you had a reservation for early this year which you canceled and the points went into holding, and then you later booked that May reservation using those points that were already in holding. The issue of what happens to points put into an April or May canceled reservation that were already in holding when put into the reservation is something that has not been specifically addressed in any notice from DVC, and you will need to contact MS to determine the answer.

Since your points were already holding points when they went in to May reservation, I am going to guess they would still be holding and not extended

But I agree it is a unique situation in that you still didn’t get a chance to use them and they may be willing to extend them, even if still in holding status. A call is definitely needed. Let us know what you find out!

Trip was booked using points in holding during the closure. I would imagine that *if* they're extended, they'll be extended as points in holding...which is the right thing to do.

I had holding points from a March trip which I cancelled because I was injured. I tried to use them for a May trip, but that trip was cancelled. I chatted with MS when that May trip was cancelled, and the person took them out of holding when she returned the borrowed points to my 2021 UY.

I have a July trip that has some holding points used, and because of my age I am pretty sure I will be cancelling that. I chatted with another MS person, yesterday, because most of the points in July have been borrowed, and I think I want to book something for January, BUT, I have already borrowed more than half of our 2021 allotment, and I wanted to use those points for the January trip...I do NOT want those points put back. Well, I have to modify the July, not cancel, and he said the holding points would remain holding.

I’m in a quandary...March UY, and more than 1000 2021 points had been borrowed into 2020, and I am not sure we can safely travel this year at all. After July, I have trips planned in September, November and December! Maybe I should just forget about using our points this year, and wait for a vaccine!

Last edited:
I am not sure we can safely travel this year at all. After July, I have trips planned in September, November and December! Maybe I should just forget about using our points this year, and wait for a vaccine!
Almost positive, my DH & I will be waiting for an effective vaccine along with you & many other Disney fans. We have an October trip scheduled that I really want to take. My heart says go, my head says NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

We both are in a high-risk group. If we get the virus, odds are at least one of us develops serious complications. So we'll probably self-quarantine as much as we can until then. Makes me sad. I know we can't go, but still, I just can't bring myself to cancel just yet. Magical thinking, I guess. :teeth:

Almost positive, my DH & I will be waiting for an effective vaccine along with you & many other Disney fans. We have an October trip scheduled that I really want to take. My heart says go, my head says NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

We both are in a high-risk group. If we get the virus, odds are at least one of us develops serious complications. So we'll probably self-quarantine as much as we can until then. Makes me sad. I know we can't go, but still, I just can't bring myself to cancel just yet. Magical thinking, I guess. :teeth:

I hear ya. In same situation here with a late August reservation. Have not canceled yet but am assuming, being in the high-risk group, we will have to wait for vaccine, and I suspect that means not going before May 2021 at the earliest.

Last edited:
I chatted with a Cast Member this morning and they indicated that they did not see any holding points. I went to the website to look at my vacation points and, as of today, May 17th, my points that were in holding were made into regular vacation points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter