Will the glass ceiling finally break?

susiemouse

Mouseketeer
I have been listening to Pete Werner refer to annual ticket prices increases every year and when will the Disney glass ceiling is going to break? I just received a mailer called “Save on tickets” for savings $20 on a 3 day or longer Disney park ticket. Due to daily unemployment and stocks changing, will we see additional discounts or will they try to ride the wave thru to end of summer/fall? According to a CNN report back in February, they reported Disney stating a $175 million loss in Hong Kong and Shanghai Disney parks. I have also seen reports (not sure if they are reliable) that they are loosing $20 million a day. In the most recent shareholder March 11th meeting, Board chair Bob Iger started out by stating the company has been resilient in the past with “wars, economic downturns and natural disasters.” I understand this virus will eventually pass, but what does this mean for Disney fans? I would love to hear any thoughts on this...

I looked up what happened during the most recent recession -

They had Buy 4 nights, get 3 nights free - if you book 7 nights at any resort level (value included) and buy 4 days worth of tickets they include tickets for the other 3 days. And apparently they also threw in a gift card depending on where you stayed.

And they had a Free On Your Birthday program where you got free basic admission to a disney theme park on your birthday if you registered your bday on the website and brought other things with you. And if you already had an annual pass they gave you a gift card of the same value.

so it would probably be more of the same.

My guess is we’ll see the lowest prices in over a decade.

I'm expecting to see many creative offers. The Parks have deep issues to dig out from. Sorry Mickey :(

I don't think there's going to be enough people able or willing to pay full price to profitably fill the parks anytime soon. Prices since 2016 have ballooned in anticipation of cashing in on the all the interest and expansions opening 2019-2022. Financial security in recent years was high overall. That has dropped and won't rebound by a snap of the finger. Finding $5-10-15k to take a WDW trip will be much less common for a while, exacerbated by travel & crowd concerns until most of this blows over.

Enticement will be crucial imho.

As I've said many times, I haven't been since Nov. 12. due to both prices and CROWDS.

Yes - I think when this crisis abates you'll see lower PRICES, but I personally am NOT planning to go back ANYTIME soon. I'm worried that the lower prices, pent up demand from those wanting to go before all this came about, and those rescheduling trips DURING all this, PLUS the 50th next year, and those wanting to see all the new stuff the year after? NOT for me, for SURE!!!

I would LOVE to be wrong, but I think the soonest I would personally contemplate a trip would be 2023. Especially since I'm only comfortable going Nov - March. And that's WITH having an already-paid-for 10 day park hopper ticket in my possession! :( :(

As I've said many times, I haven't been since Nov. 12. due to both prices and CROWDS.

Yes - I think when this crisis abates you'll see lower PRICES, but I personally am NOT planning to go back ANYTIME soon. I'm worried that the lower prices, pent up demand from those wanting to go before all this came about, and those rescheduling trips DURING all this, PLUS the 50th next year, and those wanting to see all the new stuff the year after? NOT for me, for SURE!!!

I would LOVE to be wrong, but I think the soonest I would personally contemplate a trip would be 2023. Especially since I'm only comfortable going Nov - March. And that's WITH having an already-paid-for 10 day park hopper ticket in my possession! :( :(

If history is any indication, after the recession in 2008 the parks were not crowded. The wait times were next to nothing for many rides - walk on for many others.
Typically prices are lowered because low attendance is anticipated or experienced....

If history is any indication, after the recession in 2008 the parks were not crowded. The wait times were next to nothing for many rides - walk on for many others.
Typically prices are lowered because low attendance is anticipated or experienced....

Yes - I do realize the prices would be lowered due to lower crowds - I understand how that "advertising math" works. However, I also think so many would start streaming back in such short order that "the window" in which I might get back, and have the lower crowds would be very short, and I'd find myself having to plan a last minute trip to take advantage of that, which also does not appeal to me personally. There might not even be a "lower crowds" window - they'll lower the prices, people will book using them, then have either no, or a VERY short window. And since it's already past the time weather-wise that I want to be there, we're talking about only Nov. and Dec. of this year, into next, when the 50th stuff will start, and NO WAY do I want to be there then, even though I was there twice during the 25th year, and VERY excited about it. I - again - just ME PERSONALLY - am also much older, and much less mobile than then, so also have the logistics, and added cost, of an ECV every single day of any trip I do take, now going forward. With that - that's again where crowds heavily figure into the equation for me.

Again - I would LOVE to say I'm wrong, from a guest experience standpoint, and not a stockholder, of course.. But even if I am, I, personally, am not planning a trip until at least '23, and maybe not even then. But who knows - if I AM totally off my rocker, and crowds ARE ow for an extended period of time.............

Last edited:

Yes - I do realize the prices would be lowered due to lower crowds - I understand how that "advertising math" works. However, I also think so many would start streaming back in such short order that "the window" in which I might get back, and have the lower crowds would be very short, and I'd find myself having to plan a last minute trip to take advantage of that, which also does not appeal to me personally. There might not even be a "lower crowds" window - they'll lower the prices, people will book using them, then have either no, or a VERY short window. And since it's already past the time weather-wise that I want to be there, we're talking about only Nov. and Dec. of this year, into next, when the 50th stuff will start, and NO WAY do I want to be there then, even though I was there twice during the 25th year, and VERY excited about it. I - again - just ME PERSONALLY - am also much older, and much less mobile than then, so also have the logistics, and added cost, of an ECV every single day of any trip I do take, now going forward. With that - that's again where crowds heavily figure into the equation for me.

Again - I would LOVE to say I'm wrong, from a guest experience standpoint, and not a stockholder, of course.. But even if I am, I, personally, am not planning a trip until at least '23, and maybe not even then. But who knows - if I AM totally off my rocker, and crowds ARE ow for an extended period of time.............

were you planning to go for the 50th anyway? the original question was whether or not the glass ceiling on the prices would break - i think yes.

were you planning to go for the 50th anyway? the original question was whether or not the glass ceiling on the prices would break - i think yes.
No, I was not planning to go for the 50th - due to crowds and prices - that's why I haven't been since Nov' '12, as I posted previously. And if if you take the price piece out, you still have the crowds. Which, as I speculated, I think will be the same, if not worse, in very short order, due to pent up demand, reschedules, and PRICE DROPS. Yes, I did read the original question. For me - THAT figures into the equation as much, if not more. Only (maybe) for me.

If you - or anyone else - has a trip planned, or would plan one because of expected price drops - bravo, have a magical trip!!!

Maybe what you're getting at is that I selfishly slanted the thread to what <I> am planning/not planning to do with the expected price drops I thought my AGREEMENT with the fact that I think there WILL be price drops to get business back was INFERRED or IMPLIED in that, but I guess I was not clear enough. Sorry.

ETA - Saw others suggesting p;romos, etc., instead of base p;rices dropping. I absolutely agree, and admit that's what I should have been saying all along. Thank you for correcting my thinking, and wording!!

Last edited:
I don't expect to see Disney lower prices. Lowering prices devalues the product and makes it very hard to raise prices again, although Disney could probably get away with that.

They'd be much smarter to go with limited time offers to drive traffic back to the parks. Free dining is a huge one. Ticket promos are another (free park hopper, or buy 5 days get 2 free). Room promotions, etc. Promotions and offers can be ended without much of a perception issue.

I don't expect to see Disney lower prices. Lowering prices devalues the product and makes it very hard to raise prices again, although Disney could probably get away with that.

They'd be much smarter to go with limited time offers to drive traffic back to the parks. Free dining is a huge one. Ticket promos are another (free park hopper, or buy 5 days get 2 free). Room promotions, etc. Promotions and offers can be ended without much of a perception issue.

I agree completely. It's always done with promos. The thought that they'll reduce the base price is laughable, as evidenced by what happened with every prior recession. Now they may increase promos or discounts for a while, but the regular price will remain stable no matter what. (Many will disagree and be proven wrong.)

I think you will definitely be wrong. We were in a (falsely)booming economy. But it was booming none the less. People had plenty left over to spend big bucks at WDW. This isn't going to be the case any longer for quite some time. So many will come away from this in much much worse financial shape. And even if they aren't yet hurting the worry alone will keep people from spending extra. It's literally one of the key components of a recession. People worried about money will take shorter, cheaper, vacations closer to home. Not to WDW.

I think there will be a few months rush right after they open as people celebrate the ability to visit again. But once that wears off. Crowds will be lower for sure

I think you will definitely be wrong. We were in a (falsely)booming economy. But it was booming none the less. People had plenty left over to spend big bucks at WDW. This isn't going to be the case any longer for quite some time. So many will come away from this in much much worse financial shape. And even if they aren't yet hurting the worry alone will keep people from spending extra. It's literally one of the key components of a recession. People worried about money will take shorter, cheaper, vacations closer to home. Not to WDW.
And I don't know what 's sadder to be RIGHT about. Lower crowds because of people's worries, or NO price drops. Gives me great pain to be RIGHT either way, ya know? :(

I think there will be a few months rush right after they open as people celebrate the ability to visit again. But once that wears off. Crowds will be lower for sure
Why do say falsely booming, Brett? I really wanna understand if you can explain without violating political guidelines. If you can’t, don’t worry about it.😊

I could have written this, SorcerHeidi! We usually go Nov or Feb/March. We love those times of year. However, the last few trips have been hugely overcrowded! even at those "off" times. I know there are no more off times now, but these times used to be slower. Now, it's just too overcrowded for us. I believe it will be crowded for the reasons you have given. However, there will be those who are severely affected by the economic setback that will not be able to take a trip to WDW, or elsewhere, for a while. But those of the faithful will be back in full force, but not us either!

I mean - we already have trips planned. We would have gone regardless. We are DVC though...

I could have written this, SorcerHeidi! We usually go Nov or Feb/March. We love those times of year. However, the last few trips have been hugely overcrowded! even at those "off" times. I know there are no more off times now, but these times used to be slower. Now, it's just too overcrowded for us. I believe it will be crowded for the reasons you have given. However, there will be those who are severely affected by the economic setback that will not be able to take a trip to WDW, or elsewhere, for a while. But those of the faithful will be back in full force, but not us either!
@disneyseniors Just a quick hijack - are you the lady that always writes the EXCELLENT "WDW as Seniors" articles on the DIS? If so, I ALWAYS enjoy them SO much, and would be VERY sad for you that you're also not considering going back anytime soon. But, would totally understand, as I've noted.

If not, never mind. :rotfl2:

That is exactly what I expect - no way I see them lowering the face value of park tickets (maybe they offer more options - like those mid-day entry tickets or something)

But I expect a lot of hotel deals and package deals where they can sort of hide the discounting on tickets

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter