Will the new Star Wars movie kill Star Wars land?

Zooey72

Mouseketeer
Maybe 'Kill' is a bit overboard, but I do think the general failure of the recent Star Wars movies is going to be a drag on the park in some ways. I am still going to enjoy it, but I am hoping they will not push any of the new garbage movies they have been producing. I would like to see Luke, Chewwee, Han and Leigha, but I have no interest in seeing any of the new people. IMO Star Wars ended with "Return of the Jedi". I am by no means alone in this opinion, many die hard Star Wars nerds like myself have given up on the brain fart that Kathleen Kennedy has produced with the new series so much so that after "Solo" tanked Disney thankfully canceled some of the spin offs. They still have to do episode 9, and that has to be weird for them. They have trapped themselves in a box where they are going to have to spend a lot of $ on a movie that is destined to bomb.

All that aside, I personally will enjoy the new Star Wars land, but I just hope they don't try to put any of the content from the recent garbage movies in it. They are still building it, and with any luck they will change any kind of attraction that has "Rey" or "Kylo" in it. I am not sure if they will do it, because they are trying to push the movies with the parks and vice versa. However Disney has been smart enough in the past not to push some of the bad animated movies they have had (There is no 'Hercules' attraction). Putting any of the Disney produced stuff in it will take away from the real Star Wars movies that existed before Disney destroyed the franchise.

And this not a full on Disney rant. I think what they have done with the MCU is incredible. I saw "infinity War" 3 times in the theater. I think it is awesome that they bought the rights to the rest of the Marvel universe and I can't wait to see what they do with X-men and stuff like that. PLEASE Disney, don't do to the MCU what you did to Star Wars!

Except the new movies aren’t a failure. Domestically, they two new mainline films are the #1 and #8 highest grossing films of all time. It’s a franchise that has been made across 3 generations of fans now and each generation thinks the one that came out when they were kids is the best. I work with a lot of millennial s and they all think the prequels are the superior movies in the series. Ask any gen x’er and clearly the originals from their childhoods are the best. Everyone has their own opinions, and that’s ok. But, these aren’t failures. None of the trilogies have been.

That'd be like asking if I was going to stop liking chocolate because I ate one of those Hershey Kisses that's been sitting around since Christmas and it had gotten a little chalky.

Except the new movies aren’t a failure. Domestically, they two new mainline films are the #1 and #8 highest grossing films of all time. It’s a franchise that has been made across 3 generations of fans now and each generation thinks the one that came out when they were kids is the best. I work with a lot of millennial s and they all think the prequels are the superior movies in the series. Ask any gen x’er and clearly the originals from their childhoods are the best. Everyone has their own opinions, and that’s ok. But, these aren’t failures. None of the trilogies have been.

Yeah, Solo is considered a flop, but only because the budget was out of control because of reshoots. If it had come in around Rogue One, then it'd be okay (or close to it). It's amazing that a movie that makes almost $400M worldwide can be considered a failure.

Also, as a late breed Gen-X'er (1978), I actually really like the Prequels, in some ways more than the OT. I am such a bad nerd, but that's the way I feel.

I do think it’ll be interesting to see if they throw in any of the animated series characters. Like if we’ll see Ahsoka Tano walking around (which would be sweet)

I also think Solo came out too soon after Last Jedi. They really do need that year in between.

Also, as a late breed Gen-X'er (1978), I actually really like the Prequels, in some ways more than the OT. I am such a bad nerd, but that's the way I feel.

Same. I like them all. Lots of fond memories with them all watching with different family and friends over the years.

Last edited:

I love Star Wars. The movies, the video games, the cartoons, the toys, whatever. Even the prequels have grown on me over time. They're definitely different, but they're not as bad as people make them out to be.

To answer your question, I don't think the movies are going to hurt the land. There's going to be stuff for every generation of Star Wars fan. If the attractions are good, then the crowds will be beyond insane at every hour of the day.

I do think it’ll be interesting to see if they throw in any of the animated series characters. Like if we’ll see Ahsoka Tano walking around (which would be sweet)

I also think Solo came out too soon after Last Jedi. They really do need that year in between.

If there's an Ahsoka meet and greet I'd flip. She's my favorite Jedi.

I hope not. I hate the new movies especially what they did to Luke's character. Unlike the originals, these movies feel like a cash grab and nothing more. I'm hoping Star Wars World will give us more than that.

The land could end up disappointing a lot of hard core fans because the two rides are using the newer movie characters/storylines. The First Order is the main theme of one ride and the second is supposed to be you flying the Milennium Falcon, but way past the time when it belonged to Han. You won't be visiting any known planets...you won't see familiar characters because the timeline wouldn't work. Most of the original characters are dead now.

My husband, a huge SW fan, is already upset about this aspect of the land.

IMO, Disney went the wrong way with this land's theming. We will see how it works out.

I suspect it would’ve been difficult to build around the 1970’s characters. It’s not like Harry Potter where they were making their simulator rides right as the final films were releasing so the actors looked and sounded the exact same as they had in the films. If the needed to make a ride tomorrow, Daniel Radcliffe is still really easonably young enough to swing it...maybe... The original Star Wars cast are all senior citizens. James Earl Jones is 87 years old. It’s not realistic for them to keep doing Darth Vader plots in a brand new park that they’re hoping will be around for years and hopefully decades to come. Building it around the current storyline let’s them use the current movie casts and let’s them update things.

The land could end up disappointing a lot of hard core fans because the two rides are using the newer movie characters/storylines. The First Order is the main theme of one ride and the second is supposed to be you flying the Milennium Falcon, but way past the time when it belonged to Han. You won't be visiting any known planets...you won't see familiar characters because the timeline wouldn't work. Most of the original characters are dead now.

My husband, a huge SW fan, is already upset about this aspect of the land.

IMO, Disney went the wrong way with this land's theming. We will see how it works out.

It's sad to think the Milennium Falcon is no longer Han's. I refuse to associate it with anyone else but him and Chewie. And as for the First Order, I already have to deal with that on Star Tours. Really wish they'd cater more to long term fans.

I suspect it would’ve been difficult to build around the 1970’s characters. It’s not like Harry Potter where they were making their simulator rides right as the final films were releasing so the actors looked and sounded the exact same as they had in the films. If the needed to make a ride tomorrow, Daniel Radcliffe is still really easonably young enough to swing it...maybe... The original Star Wars cast are all senior citizens. James Earl Jones is 87 years old. It’s not realistic for them to keep doing Darth Vader plots in a brand new park that they’re hoping will be around for years and hopefully decades to come. Building it around the current storyline let’s them use the current movie casts and let’s them update things.

If they didn't rely so much on film based rides, they could do anything. They could use animatronics and CGI to recreate anything they want. They could have easily made the land be Tattoine and you could experience it like Luke would have. That would have made the most sense. Have a couple rides that take you to the other planets via hyperspace. Done. They didn't rely on any of the actors from Avatar to make Pandora...

If they didn't rely so much on film based rides, they could do anything. They could use animatronics and CGI to recreate anything they want. They could have easily made the land be Tattoine and you could experience it like Luke would have. That would have made the most sense. Have a couple rides that take you to the other planets via hyperspace. Done. They didn't rely on any of the actors from Avatar to make Pandora...

I'd love the land to be Tatooine. Who wouldn't want to go to where it all started? And you're right, if they tried, they could get around the actor problem. It's cool that they wanted to make something new, I'll give them that, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter