Will you get a stimulus check and how much?

What happens with this stimulus when parents are divorced and 50/50 custody? I assume each parent would go by their "single" income, but who gets the 500 per kid? I'm married, but I have several friends in a divorce situation.
Probably whoever claimed the child as a dependent. In general, only one person can claim the child as a dependent and returns are rejected if someone already has and you try. I think there are exceptions if it's written in the divorce decree that they split the tax benefits. In that case, I don't know, maybe it would be split? Unsure.

What happens with this stimulus when parents are divorced and 50/50 custody? I assume each parent would go by their "single" income, but who gets the 500 per kid? I'm married, but I have several friends in a divorce situation.
My guess is who ever claimed the child on the last submit taxes.

Which leads to the question of in 2018 parent A was eligible to claim the child but has not yet filed 2019. But in 2019 parent B was eligible to claim the child and has filed. Could both get the $500?

Most will get them, especially if you made under $75,000 last year. If you haven't filed 2019 then it will be based on your 2018 tax return.

Which leads to the question of in 2018 parent A was eligible to claim the child but has not yet filed 2019. But in 2019 parent B was eligible to claim the child and has filed. Could both get the $500?

Exactly. Good point....Or if parent A claimed kids last year and doesn't qualify for stimulus check, but parent B qualifies for it and really could use that extra 500 per kid money. It's tricky.

Exactly. Good point....Or if parent A claimed kids last year and doesn't qualify for stimulus check, but parent B qualifies for it and really could use that extra 500 per kid money. It's tricky.
Divorce decrees usually address tax implications/dependents so I don't think it will be as tricky (typically) as one would think. There will be some one off situations, but generally I think it's already settled and it'll be obvious who will get it.

Last edited:

whoever claims the kid on their taxes.

I’m divorced and claim both my kids. I’ll be getting $500 for DD.

Divorce decrees usually address tax implications/dependents so I don't think it will be as tricky (typically) as one would think.
But the IRS is not privy to the details on the divorce degree. So depending on the actual situation it could be that one part is technically entitled to it when they file taxes for 2020 but the other parent actually got it in 2019 (based on 2019 tax filings).

But the IRS is not privy to the details on the divorce degree. So depending on the actual situation it could be that one part is technically entitled to it when they file taxes for 2020 but the other parent actually got it in 2019 (based on 2019 tax filings).
Do parents typically switch off on who can claim the dependent year to year? I wouldn't have thought so, but I think that would be those one off situations that are *relatively* rare. I have no idea though! I'm not an accountant.

But, if both can claim the dependent and split the tax benefit, then yes, they are privy to those details. If both parents are qualified to claim the dependent, you have to submit a copy of the decree.

Do parents typically switch off on who can claim the dependent year to year? I wouldn't have thought so, but I think that would be those one off situations that are *relatively* rare. I have no idea though! I'm not an accountant.
I am an accountant but don't do taxes. But it is probably more common than you think it is.

But, if both can claim the dependent and split the tax benefit, then yes, they are privy to those details. If both parents are qualified to claim the dependent, you have to submit a copy of the decree.

Yes, in my experience, switching off who claims kids each year is common in divorce agreements - at least around here. I work in mental health and work with a lot of divorced folks and have heard that pretty regularly as a part of the plan.

I am in this exact situation. My ex claimed my son in 2018. I claimed my DS in 2019 but my ex hasn’t filed his taxes yet. I’m assuming I will be the one who gets the stimulus check for him?

I am in this exact situation. My ex claimed my son in 2018. I claimed my DS in 2019 but my ex hasn’t filed his taxes yet. I’m assuming I will be the one who gets the stimulus check for him?
But since it is technically an advance on a 2020 credit your EX would be the one technically eligible.

What a mess. Hopefully no one has to pay back a stimulus they receive that they are technically not eligible for.

No check for us. We are blessed and don’t need it or want it.
I don't have a need for it, as I am an essential employee still working, still getting paid. But I am not going to refuse it. I am just glad they have made beneficial to those who lost their jobs (even temporarily) due to all this.

I’ve been reading that’s it’s based off of your AGI and somewhere it said what line on your tax return you can find that number but I don’t remember where. My DD and her family are right on the fine line. Hope they can get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter