Wilma-Bride's Trip Report - Day 15

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Fred and Wilma’s Honeymoon – 7-21 Sep 04

CAST

Me – Joh (31) – Slightly neurotic (DH would say very), VERY impatient and extremely over-excitable
DH – Gary (37) – Pretty laid back, a bit of a ‘Peter Pan’, mad about Tigger!

Day 15 – Tues 21st Sep

A sad day today – our last day in Orlando. We were quite subdued while we were packing up the last of our things and getting ready. Yet again, the weather was on the chilly side – but this was handy as it meant we could both wear trousers and wouldn’t have to worry about carrying extra clothes to change into later.

We checked out of the Quality Inn – no charges for the phone calls we’d made from the room, which I was impressed with (they were all local calls though). There was no sign of our transport to DTD and the Grand Floridian. We waited – and waited – and waited. Finally, at 7.15 on the dot, a man pulled up in a minibus. Apparently, he was not late – Virgin had told us the incorrect time – charming. The guy loaded our cases into the van and we were off. We picked up some others on the way – one family joined us from the Peabody Hotel, which looked fabulous.

We arrived at the Grand Floridian just after 8. DH and I were absolutely gobsmacked by the sheer splendour of the place. We wandered around like typical tourists, taking pictures of everything in sight and marvelling at the luxurious surroundings. How the other half live, eh? Maybe one day – we can but dream! We were taken in to our table, for breakfast, and told to help ourselves. The buffet was absolutely outstanding. There was so much food and it was absolutely delicious. I had some crispy bacon, a plain omelette (cooked to order) and several Mickey pancakes. DH just had a bit of everything, I think. The characters arrived in dribs and drabs – first Tigger and Pooh, then Alice and the Mad Hatter. They did their best to get round to everybody but we didn’t hold them too long as we’d already got autographs from them all and we could see that the kids (and adults!) at the other tables were dying to spend time with them. As I glanced up towards the door, I noticed a few people gathered outside so I told DH I was going for a nosey. Out in the lobby, I encountered none other than Mary Poppins. I was so excited, I ran back in to tell DH and grab my autograph book and camera. We joined the group of people waiting patiently and when it got to our turn, nobody else had joined the queue behind us. We had a lovely chat, she told me she could tell I was from England and explained that Bert wasn’t with her as he had ‘a prior engagement’. She was so proper and so like the ‘real’ Mary Poppins, I was absolutely enthralled. She kindly posed for a few photos and then said she had to go. I thought DH might cry (as that’s what he usually does when she leaves in the film) but he seemed to cope well with her departure :rotfl: Then it was time for us to say farewell too. Our driver told us he was going to fetch the minibus and to wait outside for him. We went out and wandered around the front of the hotel, taking pictures of the gorgeous car and coach.

108-0856_IMG.jpg

The driver turned up and we all piled in for the short drive to DTD. Check-in went relatively smoothly and we reluctantly left our cases, muttering a little prayer to help them get to MCO safely. Because we had so much stuff, both DH and I had a rucksack to carry but we really wanted to go shopping, so we asked if there were any lockers available. No, apparently not. OK, so we have to carry them then. Off we went to the Market Place – it was quite a trek from the DTD check-in area. We spent an enjoyable couple of hours walking around the shops and managed to part with the majority of spending money we had left. We bought a lovely picture frame, a couple of tee-shirts, pens and things for distant relatives, fridge magnets galore and loads of sweets and biscuits for work colleagues. Deciding we couldn’t possibly carry anything else and, knowing that we still had almost 7 hours before we were being picked up to go to the airport, we decided to go and see if Disney Quest was open. We were in luck and it was. Not only that but they had a bag check facility so we gratefully offloaded our hand luggage and copious shopping bags.

Disney Quest was great. I have read mixed reports about it but DH and I really liked it. Some of the virtual reality games were fantastic. My favourite things were:

The lift (with the genie)
Pirates of the Caribbean
River Adventure (rowing thing that I can’t remember the exact name of)
The Cheesecake!!!
The old arcade games, which were free to play, like Pacman, Donkey Kong etc
Build and ride your own rollercoaster – although ours was quite tame when we actually ‘rode’ it

Halfway through the day, we decided we fancied a break, so we got our hands stamped and went off to the cinema. We couldn’t decide what to see but I had heard that ‘Open Water’ was very good so we settled for that. Well, I wish I could remember who it was that told me it was a good film because I’d wring their neck! The film was absolutely terrible – one of the worst films I’ve seen since Vanilla Sky. On the plus side, the seats were very comfortable, which was good because both DH and I dozed off for a little while.

When the film finished, we strolled around for a while and then went back to Disney Quest. Before we knew it, it was almost 6 pm and time to go to catch our transport to the airport. We were the only people waiting in the bus area, which I was a little concerned about – but, having said that, we had hardly seen another soul all day so DTD was obviously not that busy. After a few minutes, another couple joined us, who were also waiting for the airport transfer. All too soon, the bus had arrived and we were on our way to the airport.

The rest of the day passed by in a blur – I think because we were both tired and just wanted to get home by this stage. The prospect of a 5 hour drive at the other end wasn’t particularly appealing either.

We landed on time – about 6:45 – and got our luggage quick enough, waited almost an hour for a taxi to the Gatwick Manor, to collect our car and then we were off for the long drive back to Norfolk to pick up DS.

The end

PS Stay tuned for the next in the series ‘Fred and Wilma – Second Time Around’, coming soon to a DISboard near you.

Lovely last report Joh and nice to see a photo. I bet you cannot wait to get back there next week. :)

wicket2005 said:
Lovely last report Joh and nice to see a photo. I bet you cannot wait to get back there next week. :)

That sounds great, doesn't it - next week :sunny:

Next week, huh? you lucky thing, I did s****** when you mentioned your 'once in a lifetime trip' How many times do we say that then? :sunny:

I have really enjoyed your trip reports, Joh, thanks very much for sharing them with us. I hope you have a really good time on your next trip, and I'll look forward to hearing about that too.

ArielJasmine princess:

Sounds like you had an amazing time, thank you so much for sharing it with us. I've really enjoyed reading your report and I'm looking forward to your next one. Until next time :)

Thanks for humouring me everyone - glad you managed to stay awake till the end ;)

Until the next one :wave:

Love the reports! Bet DS was glad to have you back though :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter