Winter Olympics

He’s a talented skater, but his personality leaves a lot to be desired. I find him condescending and obnoxious in interviews.

I have to say that I completely disagree with you on that. I love his personality and I find him entertaining and funny. I also think he's shown a lot of bravery coming out as gay in one of the most homophobic careers of figure skating. He's worked hard to get where he is now and from my friend who has met him in real life, he's apparently the sweetest guy. I'm a big fan!

He’s a talented skater, but his personality leaves a lot to be desired. I find him condescending and obnoxious in interviews.

He's his own biggest fan and is clearly there more for self-promotion than skating. Can't say I blame him. He was given a gift and is taking advantage of it.

ETA: Ooops - I meant to quote @hopemax above.
It's worked fine the way it is since time immemorial because good sportsmanship says you never remove a rock unless it significantly impacts play. For that matter, a curler should always remove their own rock if they burn it to prevent the opposing team's skip from having to make the awkward decision. :o

The problem with that is a sweeper could burn a stone on purpose to avoid something bad happening. It should be the official that removes it.

They don't even have judges except the one that comes and measures and the one that repairs the rocks if need be. Curling is one of those sports where people are expected to be reasonably sporting and not take advantage of things and to work these things out. So technically having the choice as to what to do still means you are expected to do the right thing rather than the expedient thing.

Curling at this level uses many officials and they can do more than measure stones.

The problem with that is a sweeper could burn a stone on purpose to avoid something bad happening. It should be the official that removes it.

Curling at this level uses many officials and they can do more than measure stones.
I've been watching curling at every level from local rec league to national/world championships and Olympics since I was a child; I literally cannot ever remember anyone being accused of doing that. And a burned rock is a burned rock - wouldn't really matter to the outcome if it had been done deliberately.

All I want to do is watch the mens figure skating finals and all the yackity yack and switching back and forth between events and commentators is annoying the bejesus out of me.

And Tara giggling with delight when one of the skaters does a great move, or overstating the obvious -- "he has to skate clean." duh. And don't get me started on Johnny Weird. I really wish NBC would get better commentators -- more of Scott Hamilton for starters.

I've been watching curling at every level from local rec league to national/world championships and Olympics since I was a child; I literally cannot ever remember anyone being accused of doing that. And a burned rock is a burned rock - wouldn't really matter to the outcome if it had been done deliberately.

You must be in your heaven right now..an actual discussion about curling lol

And Tara giggling with delight when one of the skaters does a great move, or overstating the obvious -- "he has to skate clean." duh. And don't get me started on Johnny Weird. I really wish NBC would get better commentators -- more of Scott Hamilton for starters.

I love Scott Hamilton's show Olympic Ice that starts at 6pm (my time) on NBCSN I watch that then switch to the app and watch something else.

He's his own biggest fan and is clearly there more for self-promotion than skating. Can't say I blame him. He was given a gift and is taking advantage of it.

We all knew and so did he going in it would be an uphill climb for him because he's a throwback artistic skater in an age of the nuclear arms race of quads. But he skated one of the most beautiful programs in the whole bunch and in fact skated three beautiful programs. He helped us to a bronze in team. And if people just have to hate him, well that's their loss, not his. I think he stole the show without actually overshadowing the show.

I have never seen anyone burn one on purpose either. It's just flat out not done. Here in the states, we see so many sports where it isn't cheating unless you get caught, the very idea of an honor code sport is almost foreign to us.

You must be in your heaven right now..an actual discussion about curling lol

We live in Denver now, but DH and I grew up in WA 30 min from the Canadian border so we had CBC. So we've been watching curling since we were kids. During one the first days of the mixed doubles we were eating at a local restaurant and they had Olympic coverage on. The people at the next table were discussing the previous use of high tech brooms that are now banned. When we left, DH and I looked at each other and said we thought we'd never see the day where we would overhear a knowledgeable curling conversation.

As for tonight's events. I am LMAO at NBC having to come back and admit they missed the winning Super G run. I told DH, I bet CBC didn't have to come back and say Oops! But that is so incredible amazing to see someone "accidentally" win a gold medal. She was completely in shock.

Also, I would recommend people pull up the ending of the Mens 15km Cross-Country if they have app or web access. NBC did a short segment, but managed to make it "all about the Tongan" like they do with American athletes. But it did a disservice to the actual unfolding of events. The last five skiers - a Columbian, Moroccan, Portuguese athlete, Tongan and a Mexican athlete greeted each other in the way that only people who have been through the same arduous journey and fulfilled their dream can know. And then when they thought it was over, the medalists came over to celebrate with them. It was a true representation of the Olympic spirit, and I thought the NBC "packaging" removed part of the genuineness of the moment. The International coverage commentator talks a little more about how the Tongan, Mexican and a Chilean skier went to Austria together to train, and their previous attempts to qualify. It adds depth to their journey beyond "the hot Tongan from the Opening Ceremonies."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!