Winter weather in the parks

olliesmom

Mouseketeer
We are leaving for Disney on Tuesday and looking at the forecast, the variation between the highs and lows is significant. The highest high will be 78 and the lowest low will be 44!

I have a few questions as I'm packing, I would love to hear how you all dress and prepare for winter weather in the parks. We've withstood the extreme heat of Disney in July so I'm hopeful that if we can survive that, we can survive some cooler days as well.

1. What are indoor temperatures like with this kind of weather? With the big shifts in temperature from day/night, do the shops/restaurants/resorts etc. turn their heat on when it's cool? Is there AC when it's warm during the day?

2. What kind of clothing is most comfortable for touring the parks in the winter? I'm assuming layers are key, but what do you do with the extra layers during the day?

3. What temperature do you find comfortable to swim in? I know the pools are heated, but I'm wondering if the air temperature would be warm enough for swimming on a 70-78 degree day?

4. When is the big temperature drop where it reaches the low? Is it when the sun goes down or later in the evening?

Thank you!!

The key is to bring layers. Shirt, sweater & windbreaker on top. Some combination (or all) will be appropriate for the conditions you encounter.

1 - indoor temperatures are pretty much the same year round.
2 - crumple up the "extra" layers and stuff them in a backpack.
3 - Depends on what you are use to. Living in FL, anything below 70 is too cool. Originally from the great white north, probably 60 is OK. The pools are heated but not that warm.
4 - typically later in the evening for the lowest lows. But it will cool down quickly once the sun goes down.

We arrive in 2 sleeps. We're from the high arctic so it's plenty warm for us to swim! We'll be in the pool every night for sure. We just bring a sweatshirt and tie it around our waists during the day. Some times it can to quite hot during the day but then very cool at night. I always find the restaurants cool so the sweatshirt comes in handy for meals too.

Layers. We’ve gone twice in December, and some days are pants, shirt, and coat. Other days shorts and a sweatshirt. The kids did swim our December 2012 trip but the December 2015 was way too cold (like winter coats and gloves!).

We used to put them in the stroller as it warmed up and now we put it in a backpack.

We arrive in 2 sleeps. We're from the high arctic so it's plenty warm for us to swim! We'll be in the pool every night for sure. We just bring a sweatshirt and tie it around our waists during the day. Some times it can to quite hot during the day but then very cool at night. I always find the restaurants cool so the sweatshirt comes in handy for meals too.

We're coming from Canada but certainly not the arctic! The short range forecast looks pretty warm. :goodvibes

I always tuck some Dollar Store gloves into coat pockets. Disney is all too willing to sell me theirs, but gloves and a scarf for evenings (sometimes) are best for me when they come cheap. I use the kind of jacket/ windbreaker that can be folded into one of its own pockets, so I can easily tuck all that into a cinch sack. no fuss. no muss.

Or fold....neatly FOLD them.......(oh my OCD!! LOL)

We usually just do this, but we’ve rented a locker once or twice to store our stuff mid-day.

One other thing you might want is some thin gloves. We didn’t use them but the kids did. One year we did MVMCP in ski vests! And kids and DH had beanies too.

The key is to bring layers. Shirt, sweater & windbreaker on top. Some combination (or all) will be appropriate for the conditions you encounter.

1 - indoor temperatures are pretty much the same year round.
3 - Depends on what you are use to. Living in FL, anything below 70 is too cool. Originally from the great white north, probably 60 is OK. The pools are heated but not that warm.
4 - typically later in the evening for the lowest lows. But it will cool down quickly once the sun goes down.

Thank you!!

Layers. We’ve gone twice in December, and some days are pants, shirt, and coat. Other days shorts and a sweatshirt. The kids did swim our December 2012 trip but the December 2015 was way too cold (like winter coats and gloves!).

We used to put them in the stroller as it warmed up and now we put it in a backpack.

The variation is crazy! I guess we'll just bring everything. :laundy:

I always tuck some Dollar Store gloves into coat pockets. Disney is all too willing to sell me theirs, but gloves and a scarf for evenings (sometimes) are best for me when they come cheap. I use the kind of jacket/ windbreaker that can be folded into one of its own pockets, so I can easily tuck all that into a cinch sack. no fuss. no muss.

Or fold....neatly FOLD them.......(oh my OCD!! LOL)

We usually just do this, but we’ve rented a locker once or twice to store our stuff mid-day.

One other thing you might want is some thin gloves. We didn’t use them but the kids did. One year we did MVMCP in ski vests! And kids and DH had beanies too.

Good idea. I'll stop by the dollar store tomorrow.

Just an FYI....if you rent a locker and park hop, you have to pay for a locker at both parks ($10 each). It didn’t used to be that way, but apparently with the new automated system, there is no way to show your receipt and get a locker. You have to pay again.

We are leaving for Disney on Tuesday and looking at the forecast, the variation between the highs and lows is significant. The highest high will be 78 and the lowest low will be 44!

I have a few questions as I'm packing, I would love to hear how you all dress and prepare for winter weather in the parks. We've withstood the extreme heat of Disney in July so I'm hopeful that if we can survive that, we can survive some cooler days as well.

1. What are indoor temperatures like with this kind of weather? With the big shifts in temperature from day/night, do the shops/restaurants/resorts etc. turn their heat on when it's cool? Is there AC when it's warm during the day?

2. What kind of clothing is most comfortable for touring the parks in the winter? I'm assuming layers are key, but what do you do with the extra layers during the day?

3. What temperature do you find comfortable to swim in? I know the pools are heated, but I'm wondering if the air temperature would be warm enough for swimming on a 70-78 degree day?

4. When is the big temperature drop where it reaches the low? Is it when the sun goes down or later in the evening?

Thank you!!
1. Indoor temperature settings are appropriate for the outside temperature whether in a shop, restaurant or hotel room (where you control the temp). I use a cashmere stole to bridge the difference in a 24 hour day's temperature changes. It's lightweight, fashion forward, and easy to pack. Alpaca and certain wool blends can suffice as well.

2. I do wear layers during the day when temperatures are frequently warmer and nights are colder. Mostly natural textiles do me well. I tend to start with cotton or silk/cotton as a first layer atop with polyester leggings as bottoms. Sometimes a midi dress makes a nice topper; sometimes a midi or maxi skirt or dress. When it's really cold the stole/shawl is the last layer. The man and DGD have either thermal fleece pullover or down jacket to wear for the abdomen and arms and jeans or thermal or cotton leggings. The down jackets have compression bags built into the jackets and the fleece tops can be tied around the waist or neck.

3. I don't know but I'm aware when I step out side. Pretty sure 70-78 degrees in a heated pool wouldn't bother me.

4. Big temp changs tend to be from daylight to night time.

As far as packing I'm a roller for the most part and travel only with an airline overhead regulation spinner for trips lasting 1 day to a few weeks.

Last edited:
Just got back from a trip, had a few days in the high 70s and a few days in the 50s. We were in shorts and t shirts/tanks on the warm days, with a light layer in our backpacks for evenings. On the cold days, the wind can really get you. During the day I had a sweater and a light vest or rain jacket on, and in the evenings I wore a packable lightweight down coat. I'm from the Midwest where it is much colder, but the parks can feel surprisingly cold when it's in the 50s (and below). I definitely recommend packing extra lightweight layers for the cold nights because it can really ruin the experience if you're uncomfortable. We saw a lot of people in t shirts and shorts when the real-feel temperature was 45 and they looked miserable. Or be prepared to buy extra layers at Disney! A headband/hat and those cheap thin gloves are also good for cold nights. If the sun is shining during the day, it does feel a lot warmer.

We’ve been here since Saturday. Sunday was in the 80’s, Monday - today it’s been in the low 60’s and dipping into the 50’s. I’m a huge wimp with the cold. The first day of the cold weather, all the indoor temperatures hadn’t been adjusted yet and the hallways in the hotels and stores were freezing!
Each cold day I have worn jeans and a T-shirt with a heavy sweatshirt and packed a flannel in my backpack. When the temperature dropped at night I would add the flannel under my sweatshirt and that worked out great. My daughter had gloves and a beanie for night time and that worked great.
The weather has been great....fun to be a bit chilly with all the Xmas decorations up

Layering is key as everyone has stated. Another way to keep warmer is alternating outside activities with inside activities.

Obviously, if you can stay away from early mornings and late nights it will be better.

Get some hot beverages, too.

I'm so glad someone started this thread! My trip is in 10 days and I've been stressing about what to pack since wevwe only been in May when it's been 80s-90s every day. The ideas posted so far are really helpful!

We are complete wimps with colder weather. We even pack those little hand warmers for when we are sitting watching an outdoor show. I've gone so far as using an dollar store poncho on a clear night, just to help retain body heat. Yup, we looked stupid but we were warm.

Well I’m going to start by packing everything I own (other than maybe tank tops), weigh the suitcase, and then take out only the bare minimum to get me under the weight limit!

The coldest we've been in the parks was 48 degrees, we're from PA, so we had sweatshirts and just kept marching on DD even talked us into Splash since the water features were turned way down (only got a little wet on the hill) It was great because the park really emptied out, almost everything but 7D was walk on. There were people w/ winter jackets, hats and gloves on a couple nights that trip.
We swam one night, you could almost see the steam coming off the pool b/c of the temp difference, but my guys loved it

Last December we had some short/tshirt days with a light sweater for evening and some evenings where I was in a sweatshirt with a fleece lined windbreaker and hat and gloves. Bring layers and check the forecast every day. We stored layers in a backpack most of the time.

I think the lowest temp we had was 41 degrees but with the wind it felt like 30s.

I echo the advice to pack layers. I visit in December and January every year. I take a 50/50 mix of capris and long pants, and mostly short sleeve shirts with a couple long sleeve shirts I can layer over. Even my jackets layer. I take a hoodie and a heavy fleece jacket that can be worn independently or together. I also take some gloves. It is a good idea to have some sort of robe or coverup at the pool, because the water will be heated but the walk back to the room may not be, depending on the weather.

I find the indoor temps warm enough that I always remove my jacket going inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!