Wishes viewing spot with ASD/SID kids...? Need some advice..

mbb

<font color=green>Wishin' & Clappin' & always Beli
Hello all...our twin sons are 5, and have autism. They both have lots of sensory issues, and we're trying to figure out how to enjoy Wishes, either in the MK, or out of it. We stayed at the Polynesian last year, and watched the fireworks every night from our room - and the boys still talk about how much they loved the "night sparkles" ... the booming and snapping from the fireworks was, obviously, not much of a factor from our room, with the glass doors closed. (We've never seen Illuminations or Fantasmic! for the same reasons - just too loud and too much visual stimulation.)

We're staying at BCV this time around, and would probably head over to the Polynesian beach to see Wishes... but will it be something we'll regret? We'd rather not see them at all if the boys are going to be traumatized by the noise...but if there's a way to see it - maybe even hear the music?? - we'd love to hear about it...

any suggestions would be so appreciated (We have thought about doing a kid's club, and going for supper at Cindy's ourselves and seeing it...but still can't leave the boys yet!!:) TIA

My 7yo has Asperger's and SID, but we've been fortunate...he will watch IllumiNations many times with the rest of us (and cover his ears at the end). He also will do the fireworks at MK with minimal problems. Fantasmic, on the other hand, is too loud for him to enjoy (his comment on that show!).

The last two times we were in MK for fireworks, we were in the rose garden underneath Tink's guidewire. It was great for viewing and he was old enough to understand that that was Tink's line...it was enough of a distraction for him to watch and wait.

From what you describe, I have a crazy suggestion. Perhaps you might enjoy a dinner at 'Ohana, timed for the fireworks? You can request a window seat when you make the priority seating (explain why). The music is piped into the restaurant during the show. It would allow you to see the fireworks and enjoy the music without it being too loud or having to worry about the loud reports. Perhaps I'm a little biased towards that restaurant:teeth: , as that is the first place my kids mention when they're asked where they want to go for dinner!

Good luck. I know that earplugs are not always an option with SID kids.

Suzanne

Wow! That's not a crazy suggestion at all! In fact, one we're going to book! I didn't realize that the music would be piped in to the restaurant, nor did I relaize that we could request a window seat....thanks so much...'Ohana is one of our fav restaurants, too - but for Character breakfasts...we find it to be less stressful and less noisy for the kids - love that laid back, relaxed, island family style feel!:D

Thanks again!!

O'Hana's does pipe in the music for Wishes and you can request a window seat when you check in at the podium. However, there is not guarantee.

Another option is to view Wishes from the Grand Canyon Concourse Balcony at Disney's Contemporary Resort. This is an outdoor terrace off of the Grand Canyon Concourse (4th Floor). The music is also piped into this location and provides a wonderful view of Wishes.

Have a magical vacation!

WDW for 2+ weeks...because now we're going to the Contemporary for supper too!;) We'll eat, and then stroll out to the balcony for Wishes...Thank you both so much for your help!

We atched the fireworks once form the balcony on top of the Contemporary (before Wishes) and it was great.
If you want to try watcfhing Illuminations from a little farther away, one spot where you can still see a lot, but not be so close is the area right in front of the Odyssey Center (where the Baby Center and First Aid are located). You still will be able to see everything, but it's a bit quieter since it's removed from the water. If it gets too loud or overwhelming, you can duck into one of the restrooms or I think First Aid and Baby Care are still open, too.

...we might actually get to see all the fireworks!! Thanks again!!:sunny:

We have viewed the fireworks from Ohana's and although we were not able to get a seat right at the window, cast members were wonderful about directing my kids (autistic and SID) to a window spot where they could stand and watch. My girls are hypersensitive to loud noises and really enjoyed the experience. We also watched once from the GF marina and they liked that too.

will continue to go back to WDW for vacations... 1)CM's really make a difference 2) our whole family can enjoy so much together 3) nice DISers who help a worried mom enjoy the "night sparkles" , too!

Thanks so much...:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter