Working in Animal Kingdom!

superkawaii10

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done merchandise in Animal Kingdom before? I haven't been there since before Expedition Everest was built, and I don't really remember it too well. I am thinking about asking my recruiter if it would be possible to be placed there. I love being around animals, and the hours are great! Is it still as much fun as working in one of the other parks? :confused3

I worked Africa/Asia/OOTW and Everest merchandise on the Spring Advantage 06 program. I loved it! I was mostly in Africa and Out of the Wild, my managers were awesome, my fellow cast members were amazing too. I got to do some awesome things that I don't think people at other parks were able to do. The management intern at the time took us on a tour of the Elephant habitat...that was amazing! And during our last week of the program, the Ops leaders at Everest kept the ride open an extra half hour for us and we rode over and over...and got free photos too. I loved watching the parade go by everyday, that became my friend and mines favorite pastime...purposely getting stuck on the opposite side of the parade route from our store, and having to watch it...good times.

And you're right, the hours are pretty amazing. I did average between 45-55 hours every week...but I always was out of there by 5 or 6pm so I could go on over to another park if I wished.

I'm working Dinoland merch right now! I asked for AK because of the hours, I have 2 school-aged kids that I needed to be home for, so knew this would be my best shot at a close to "normal" schedule. In Dinoland, you can work in the Dinosaur Institute shop, Chester & Hester's ("the tackiest gift shop in the world"), at one of 4 carts, including Nemo, and on the Midway Games (yes, folks, those are merch). I've noticed that most CPs get the closing shifts. If you are closing games, you get off 1/2 hour after park close, shop merch is usually 1 hour after park close. I'm also trained in money room now, so that can be 1.5-2 hours after park close. We also have an EMH on Wed nights, so those can be late...last week I worked until 11pm. Park close does tend to fluctuate a lot, so you can't always count on 5pm, unless you are in Africa where everything closes up at 5.

2 awesome things about DAK-CP: we have the RAFIKI program, which is basically an RA program for our CPs. Students are selected by leaders from each area and we meet monthly to discuss plans and such. We are responsible for bulletin boards in our areas and serve as a liaison between our CP leader/partner and the students. It's an awesome program and I really hope other parks pick it up. The second thing, our president is very CP-friendly, so we are the only park this semester to host a welcome event. Ours is "Dig Your Expedition" and Dinoland/Everest is going to be open for 2 hours for us to have a CP-only party this month. Our leaders will be there IN COSTUME :woohoo: (photo op, much???:rolleyes1 ). There will be food, prizes, and SURprises. Other parks aren't having anything, but our leaders really pulled for us.

OK, one more thing I thought of that I love about working at DAK...(not the DAKcycles ;) ) This may seem really cheesy, but I love walking in the front with the guests everyday! It makes me happy to hear the music and see the park from the entrance from the guests' perspective before I head backstage.

2 awesome things about DAK-CP: we have the RAFIKI program, which is basically an RA program for our CPs. Students are selected by leaders from each area and we meet monthly to discuss plans and such. We are responsible for bulletin boards in our areas and serve as a liaison between our CP leader/partner and the students. It's an awesome program and I really hope other parks pick it up. The second thing, our president is very CP-friendly, so we are the only park this semester to host a welcome event. Ours is "Dig Your Expedition" and Dinoland/Everest is going to be open for 2 hours for us to have a CP-only party this month. Our leaders will be there IN COSTUME :woohoo: (photo op, much???:rolleyes1 ). There will be food, prizes, and SURprises. Other parks aren't having anything, but our leaders really pulled for us.

OK, one more thing I thought of that I love about working at DAK...(not the DAKcycles ;) ) This may seem really cheesy, but I love walking in the front with the guests everyday! It makes me happy to hear the music and see the park from the entrance from the guests' perspective before I head backstage.

That's cool...the RAFIKI program is new since I was there. I'm coming back for summer Alumni so that would be awesome to be a part of that if I'm back at DAK. DAK is an awesome park to work at I think because everything is so much more condensed and simple. I was so used to seeing the same faces, even if they worked on the other side of the park. Don't get me wrong, if you work in Africa, you've got a trek to walk backstage every morning...but the buses and bikes help a bit...if the bikes aren't all gone.

MK does do the CP Blast-Off every semester, but it's a bit less planned. It's more like, 'go ride space mountain with the lights on and get a free hot dog', I did hear that they were not doing it this semester though.

Grey, I think one or two of your leaders are some of my old leaders...is Connie and/or Martha still in Dinoland Merch? If so, tell them ReAnne and Wes say hi lol.

And I agree...I love the "Welcome to our World" show in the beginning of the day...I especially loved it before Everest opened when seeing every single guest veer left at the Tree and head straight for Safari's.

Thank you both so much for sharing your experiences! DAK sounds like it would be perfect for me. I love the idea of the RAFIKI program! I'm definitely going to contact my recruiter to see if I can be placed there. Hopefully she will be able to accommodate me :cutie:

Has anyone done merchandise in Animal Kingdom before? I haven't been there since before Expedition Everest was built, and I don't really remember it too well. I am thinking about asking my recruiter if it would be possible to be placed there. I love being around animals, and the hours are great! Is it still as much fun as working in one of the other parks? :confused3

I worked at Animal Kingdom in Attractions and I worked at Expedition Everest for the CP program this past Fall. I had never been to Animal Kingdom when I first arrived for the CP (the last time I had been to Disney World was when I was 8 years old in 1993!!). I was pleasantly surprised.. I fell in love with everything about DAK (short for Disney's Animal Kingdom). It's an awesome place to work and much less crazy than MK. And plus, the animals are so much fun to walk around and watch (my fave fave fave are the gorillas!). It all depends on the people you work with though.. we had the best CP group and it was a complete blast. I miss being there every day. Good luck with everything! :)

Aw, but the rusty, flat-tired DAKcycles were the best part of the entire park! ;-)

we have the RAFIKI program, which is basically an RA program for our CPs. Students are selected by leaders from each area and we meet monthly to discuss plans and such. We are responsible for bulletin boards in our areas and serve as a liaison between our CP leader/partner and the students. It's an awesome program and I really hope other parks pick it up.

Just wanted to update on the RAFIKI program...since the Cast Services department is no longer with us, we have no leadership. Our meeting this month was cancelled and our former leader is trying to see if the program will even continue. It has been a dark spot for those of us who were participating. In my area, our CP Champion was reassigned, so we are REALLY struggling with no CP leadership AT ALL.

I worked at Animal Kingdom in Attractions and I worked at Expedition Everest for the CP program this past Fall. I had never been to Animal Kingdom when I first arrived for the CP (the last time I had been to Disney World was when I was 8 years old in 1993!!). I was pleasantly surprised.. I fell in love with everything about DAK (short for Disney's Animal Kingdom). It's an awesome place to work and much less crazy than MK. And plus, the animals are so much fun to walk around and watch (my fave fave fave are the gorillas!). It all depends on the people you work with though.. we had the best CP group and it was a complete blast. I miss being there every day. Good luck with everything! :)

Too funny, I worked at Everest for Spring 08 :banana:!!

I LOVE Animal Kingdom, I loved working there. There were some bad days (first time away from home) but it was still so worth it. I love the atmosphere, the cast members, all of it! I requested to be placed there for summer alumni program, so here's to hoping I can get placed there again!!

Just wanted to update on the RAFIKI program...since the Cast Services department is no longer with us, we have no leadership.
Cast Services is no more? Oh no :sad2::sad1:!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter