Workload Now - Workload Spring Break

BadDad

Mouseketeer
What is the differences between the workload a CPer experiences in the first week of the WDWCP and Spring Break. My S (QSFB) is happy with his work hours (he is 20) his roommates (all around 18 - most in attractions) complain they are overworked.

Are they whining?
What the percentage that quit before the end of the program?

It really just depends on the apartment. If they have enough staff, normal hours during the busy times are more common. If they are understaffed then yeah, they are going to be working a lot more. I worked in a department that went through all the phases, lol, over, under, and just right during the 7 months.

I don't know about every area but I know my location is really understaffed right now (great for me when I want to go pick up hours :) That may be the case for his friends.

I don't know if this is true in there case but I did meet people who were there to vacation and not to work. They constantly complained about working 5 days a week, even with short - mid lengths shifts. It is different if they are on mandatory overtime or something but if not I found Disney to be an excellent wake up call for the real world (I was 18 when I started as well).

I know it does depend on where you work, but IMO, a lot of people on the program haven't had a "real job" before, and think that the CP should be a big vacation. This leads to lots of complaints and people trying to get days off or leave early, which annoyed me. I never minded working an 8-9 hour day. Heck, even 10 hours is fine, because I'm getting overtime!

Re: spring break, I know people who worked 70 hours for a week or two, but I was barely getting over 40 because I worked at DAK and we can only be open so late. So again, it depends.

I worked MEO, my roommate was merchandise at the GF - she managed to give away shifts and trade shifts left and right (she had Thanksgiving, Christmas and NYE/NED off). The week of Christmas I worked 73 hours. A lot depends on how much you want to work (I was scheduled 56 I think and picked up additional shifts) and your location.

What is the differences between the workload a CPer experiences in the first week of the WDWCP and Spring Break. My S (QSFB) is happy with his work hours (he is 20) his roommates (all around 18 - most in attractions) complain they are overworked.

Are they whining?

Right in the beginning of January is a slow period, and so is February usually. Once Spring break rolls around, (depending on his location) there is a chance for him to be working a lot. I worked at Electric Umbrella in Future World, EPCOT during spring break of 09 and was working 65-70 hours a week, those were all hours that I was scheduled. Basically what it comes down to is his location and if they have enough cast. But CP's are generally the ones that get the crap shifts, because thats what they are there for.

In Merch had a pretty constant 30-33 hour schedule (only occasionally going up to 38) up until spring break when I got a 56 hour schedule for two weeks and had several 15 hour days. I wasn't in a park though so other people I knew in the same role that were in a park had more hours on a regular basis. Two of my roommates in QSFB had more hours on a regular basis.

My s is picking up extra shifts, he likes the counter at QSFB. I prefers his work-mates (positive attitudes) to his room-mates (negative-attitudes).

Are they whining?

I worked attractions at GMR: at the beginning of the program I was working 35-40 hour weeks normally but during late March/April (Spring Break) I worked two 70+ hour weeks in a row, surrounded by 50+ hour weeks. It really does get crazy and people can be scheduled toons of hours.

As others have said, it really depends on where he works versus his roommates, etc. When I first started I was routinely working 50-60 hours a week because we were extremely under-staffed and I was new (scheduling is based on seniority). Let me tell you, you are allowed to complain when you work from 10:00-23:45 (11:45pm) at least once a week. I was in attractions getting those hours, whereas working front desk I was getting around 40 because we were staffed well and had different hours. It all depends; there are way too many locations and jobs at Disney to judge whether or not it's fair based on heresay. During spring break everyone's hours go up (except some who work in the hotels because those hours don't ever change) and CP's who were once getting 30-40 hours may get 50-60 and super late shifts as the park hours are extended, etc.

I've worked Main Entrance Ops for a year and a half now, and as a cp, we were scheduled the most hours- usually somewhere in the low to high 60s. Last Christmas everyone had crazy hours because we were really understaffed. This weekend, our cps have been scheduled alot of doubles, with some on 6 days. It's all part of the fun. We've never had anyone leave because they couldn't handle the hours, usually they get termed first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter