Worried about spending too much time and money on dining...

goodeats

DIS Veteran
How would you tweak this itinerary?

I've traveled to the World several times before, but it's my DH and children's first trip. For budget/crowd reasons we are going the second half of August. We are definitely going to need breaks, but not sure if those breaks will be better spent in restaurants or in the room/pool. I can see the heat affecting our hunger levels too. I also don't want to spend a bajillion dollars. If no breakfast listed we'll grab starbucks or eat bars in our room or hit up Roaring Forks.

Arrival - WL - no ADR but will either grab QS at Roaring Forks/GP or try to walk into WCC.

Day 1 - MK. We have prepaid CRT at 12:05 and have Tonys Town Square at 6:30. Our FPs are in the morning in FL so maybe we can get some evening FPs after dinner. The park is open until 10pm this night.

Day 2 - Ep - Dinner ADR at Biergarten around 6:00pm. Our FPs end at noon, so not sure if we'll grab QS in WS or head back to resort for QS lunch.

Day 3 - HS - We have a Homecomin' ADR at 6:00, but our SDD FP is at 2:00. Was hoping to rest at resort after HS, but that won't leave us a ton of time with travel. But maybe I'm overthinking it or we can uber/minnie van.

Day 4 AK - Tusker House ppo 8:00am and then Yak n Yeti at 7pm. Our last FP is at FOP at 1:45. Was hoping to go back to room since we'll be staying for ROL after dinner.

Day 5 Blizzard Beach/Resort - Might grab WCC sit down breakfast, but will otherwise get QS for lunch. We have a dinner Trails End ADR.

Day 6 MK again -This day I'm most concerned about. We have BBB reservations at 9:30 so we might be able to rope drop BTMR or Space and then head to the castle. We have 7DMT at 10:45 and then The Plaza at 12:05. Following lunch we have BTMR and Splash FP back to back. I'm not sure how long we'll last, but we have Narcoossees at 7pm. The park closes at 9:00pm, but we won't make it back. I'm worried we don't have enough MK time and will want to visit attractions at night. But I really want to eat at Narcoossees!

Day 7 This day is open, but right now we're planning on revisiting Epcot. I'm open to switching to AK or even MK if we don't see everything. Right now we have a 12:00 San Angel Inn and then 6:20 Artist Point at the resort.

Day 8/Departure - Breakfast at Kona Cafe

If you've read this much (and understood it!) you should get a medal! Basically help me decide if I should cancel/switch Narcoossees, Artist Point, or Homecomin!

Day 1 - MK. We have prepaid CRT at 12:05 and have Tonys Town Square at 6:30. Our FPs are in the morning in FL so maybe we can get some evening FPs after dinner. The park is open until 10pm this night.
>>>>I'd get rid of Tony's. Its really not very good. :crazy2: Even with the new chef around, until it gets consistently stellar reviews, i'd pass. Your better off doing QS for dinner in MK to be honest.

Day 2 - Ep - Dinner ADR at Biergarten around 6:00pm. Our FPs end at noon, so not sure if we'll grab QS in WS or head back to resort for QS lunch.
>>>Looks good!

Day 3 - HS - We have a Homecomin' ADR at 6:00, but our SDD FP is at 2:00. Was hoping to rest at resort after HS, but that won't leave us a ton of time with travel. But maybe I'm overthinking it or we can uber/minnie van.
>>> Thats a tough one. Lets say you get to the resort around 3pm....that leaves you with 2 hours to rest. Thats not too bad I guess. I'd most likely take an uber to Disney Springs. Or keep trying for a later ADR at Homecomin'. Even a 630-7pm ADR would give you a bit more time to rest at least.

Day 4 AK - Tusker House ppo 8:00am and then Yak n Yeti at 7pm. Our last FP is at FOP at 1:45. Was hoping to go back to room since we'll be staying for ROL after dinner.
>>>This looks great. ADRs are spaced out nicely. But to be honest, Satuli Canteen has amazing food, and its a QS. I'd ditch Yak & Yeti and eat at Satuli Canteen. That way your not tied down to an ADR and you still get delicious fresh food. This was one of the highlights of my trip!

Day 5 Blizzard Beach/Resort - Might grab WCC sit down breakfast, but will otherwise get QS for lunch. We have a dinner Trails End ADR.
>>>Meh. I'd pass on WCC. But thats just me. Many people on these boards love their breakfast. Trails end is awesome!

Day 6 MK again -This day I'm most concerned about. We have BBB reservations at 9:30 so we might be able to rope drop BTMR or Space and then head to the castle. We have 7DMT at 10:45 and then The Plaza at 12:05. Following lunch we have BTMR and Splash FP back to back. I'm not sure how long we'll last, but we have Narcoossees at 7pm. The park closes at 9:00pm, but we won't make it back. I'm worried we don't have enough MK time and will want to visit attractions at night. But I really want to eat at Narcoossees!
>>>Why not try for a Narcoossees ADR on day 2, and try Biergarten lunch right after your FP? That would free up your night at MK on this day.

Day 7 This day is open, but right now we're planning on revisiting Epcot. I'm open to switching to AK or even MK if we don't see everything. Right now we have a 12:00 San Angel Inn and then 6:20 Artist Point at the resort.
>>>> Artist Point is so good! Its one of my faves in all of disney. Amazing food every time. I'd ditch San Angel and do QS at Epcot instead. So many options.

>>>i'd try the Wave to be honest. Much better breakfast food. $22pp gets you a great buffet plus some made-to-order items included such as their yummy french toast with special butters. To die for! But yes, Kona is good too I guess. I just prefer The Wave. Better food. :teeth:

If you've read this much (and understood it!) you should get a medal! Basically help me decide if I should cancel/switch Narcoossees, Artist Point, or Homecomin!
Where's my medal??? :)
Dont cancel Arist Point! Its amazing! I'd probably just ditch Tony's and Narcoossees to be honest, followed by Homecomin'. And i'd opt for Satuli Canteen and cancel Yak/Yeti. Too many ADRs can be tiring and expensive!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Is it true that I can modify an ADR on the same day to a future day and then cancel so we're not charged the $10pp? We may just wait to cancel when we're there depending on what we're feeling like.

I love your plan...other than Tony's. I like Plaza Inn for that bit. The only other thing I see is that by Day 7 you may be too full for Mexican food lunch and then a big dinner. But you'll know it by then and can change it up the day before, if you need to.

Looks like a great vacation. Have fun!

Medal here as well. ;) Your day 4/AK day looks very similar to ours but we are Tusker at 10:35 and Yak n Yeti at 6:30. Your plans look good though not sure my children could have handled more than one sit down meal per day; good kids but just a lot of down time. That time, for us, would have been better spent at the resort pool even grabbing something from the pool bar menu for a late lunch/midday snack.

We may ditch Yak n Yeti like the PPs have suggested.

Are you planning on leaving to break and come back in the evening? If so, the only thing I would be concerned with are travel times v how much break time you'll get. Its been a while since we have been to WDW but I remember travel taking longer than I anticipated.

Last edited:

That all feels like so much time spent eating. We can only handle 1 ADR meal per day, the rest are usually counter service or in-room. You can use the mobile ordering apps to cut down on standing in line. I feel like you are missing a lot of park time with all of those ADRs.

How old are your children? Will they handle the long days that come with PPO breakfasts and late nights at the parks? Or will they be terrors for the 8 am PPOs or exhausted by the time the dinner ressies roll around?

For us, 1 table service restaurant per day is plenty. They take up time and it is too much food for hubby and I more than once a day. Disney is doing a much better job now providing healthy options at counter service restaurants. Many of the counter service restaurants offer indoor AC seating. This will still give you a rest break and save you considerable $.

See! This is my delimma! The kids are 9 and 6 and not super adventurous eaters. I am torn because I feel they will need the respite of a good meal, but yes when tired they become super annoying (as do I!).

Maybe I'll drop Homecomin and switch it Narcoosees and then on our second MK day we'll not have a dinner ADR so we can see more of the park. But then we miss Disney Springs entirely. Or drop Homecomin and just get QS at Disney Springs.

Satuli Canteen is SOOO good! Better than many TS restaurants I've been to. Yes, cancel Tony's and do QS. I enjoy Casey's Corner for a hot dog or the corn dog nuggets, and an ice cream from the Parlor. Also, if you are concerned with cost of food maybe do a TS every other day, and QS for the rest. I love food! I've learned that I get VERY full very quickly though at Disney, even with all of the walking. You are snacking in between meals sometimes and not even noticing. Food is my number one expense while on vacation, so I try to keep my TS to a minimum.

I just did a trip with only one ADR and I really didn't miss it as much as a thought. We got decent meals with QS. The only place I truly missed it was at HS as the restaurant choices there are not that great. I really enjoyed the flexibility of not being tied down to too many ADR's and we saved money but we still had a sticker shock of $87 for a family of 5 at Yak & Yeti CS.:scared1: You don't say if you are on the meal plan or not but that would make a difference to me too.

I agree with @Happyinwonerland - we're pretty satisfied if we do just one sit down meal a day. If it's breakfast, we're usually full for the rest of the day, too. And we don't want to eat a large meal too late in the evening, either.

Cost is another issue. For our trip this past March, the dining plan was going to cost us something like $2400. Instead, we got a $1000 Disney gift card and used it for meals. It lasted until I think the second to last day, but to me, that worked out pretty well. (Next time I'd put a little more on the card, maybe.) We weren't concerned with menu prices, just ate where we wanted to, when we wanted to, without being held to a lot of ADRs. Even on spring break week, we had little trouble eating where we wanted to, with a little flexibility.

Personally, I'd save Narcoossee's for a romantic dinner for me and DH on a future trip, maybe when the kids are a little older, or you're with others, preceded by a lingering cocktail around the resort (without some of the craziness of being with kids). But that's just me. Or you could perhaps move it to Day 1 evening, but play it by ear. (I don't think you'd have trouble getting an ADR there that week, especially mid-week, but who knows.)

The one thing I remember from the many August trips we've had, is that it pours rain many afternoons. We made it back to our resort before a thunderstorm one time (with the blender going!), but many from our group were stranded on sweltering boats (when they had to stop), and even in gift shops over at Universal (when they wouldn't let them leave). For two hours! And omg the heat! :faint: My plans, if I have to go that month, therefore revolve around doing things in the morning, planning to be back at the resort in the afternoon, and perhaps heading back out in the evening.

We’ve done a lot of eating at WDW over the years and it’s been fun. But for us it kind of depends these days on who we’re traveling with. And being DVC members makes it easier because I have no issue with preparing simple meals. One ADR a day is plenty for us and even then we often opt for counter-service instead or just nosh (okay for adults who aren’t on restricted diets, but for kids, not so much).

And in August the weather may, as you say, affect your appetite in relation to wanting lighter meals. You need to eat to keep up your energy level, but when faced with the “dog days” of summer we try to opt for salads, lighter sandwiches, etc. And we do eat more ice cream, but it IS vacation after all! :)

Too much sit down for us. We like one sit down meal a day, preferably lunch as a nice a/c break. Breakfast is always a casual cafeteria one for us and often dinner is casual and pool swimming. We’ve even been known to get pizza delivery.

My son (went at 6 and then 10) is an early riser so we always went at rope drop and were back at hotel by 3. No nights in parks for us. If we are up to it we might hit a mini golf. We all just enjoyed it better to have casual nights and up early.

Last trip garden grill and rainforest cafe were my son’s favorites.

Since you’ve never gone with kids all I will say is be flexible! Take time to slow down and enjoy what they want. If it is 5 times on small world so be it. You will find it means adjusting your plans but still fun.

>>>>I'd get rid of Tony's. Its really not very good. :crazy2: Even with the new chef around, until it gets consistently stellar reviews, i'd pass. Your better off doing QS for dinner in MK to be honest.

>>>Looks good!

>>> Thats a tough one. Lets say you get to the resort around 3pm....that leaves you with 2 hours to rest. Thats not too bad I guess. I'd most likely take an uber to Disney Springs. Or keep trying for a later ADR at Homecomin'. Even a 630-7pm ADR would give you a bit more time to rest at least.

>>>This looks great. ADRs are spaced out nicely. But to be honest, Satuli Canteen has amazing food, and its a QS. I'd ditch Yak & Yeti and eat at Satuli Canteen. That way your not tied down to an ADR and you still get delicious fresh food. This was one of the highlights of my trip!

>>>Meh. I'd pass on WCC. But thats just me. Many people on these boards love their breakfast. Trails end is awesome!

>>>Why not try for a Narcoossees ADR on day 2, and try Biergarten lunch right after your FP? That would free up your night at MK on this day.

>>>> Artist Point is so good! Its one of my faves in all of disney. Amazing food every time. I'd ditch San Angel and do QS at Epcot instead. So many options.

>>>i'd try the Wave to be honest. Much better breakfast food. $22pp gets you a great buffet plus some made-to-order items included such as their yummy french toast with special butters. To die for! But yes, Kona is good too I guess. I just prefer The Wave. Better food. :teeth:

Where's my medal??? :)
Dont cancel Arist Point! Its amazing! I'd probably just ditch Tony's and Narcoossees to be honest, followed by Homecomin'. And i'd opt for Satuli Canteen and cancel Yak/Yeti. Too many ADRs can be tiring and expensive!
Wow, Goofyintoronto...I think we share a brain!!! ITA with everything you said...except about Artist Point and Narcoosees, and only because we've never been there. Outstanding advice, if I do say so myself! :teeth:

Day 1 - MK. We have prepaid CRT at 12:05 and have Tonys Town Square at 6:30. Our FPs are in the morning in FL so maybe we can get some evening FPs after dinner. The park is open u
Agree with PP. ditch Tony’s. This also gives you the option of mobile order at Pecos bill or Columbia Harbour House that you can then fit into plans as you want- not ties down with an ADR.

I’d ditch Biergarten too-way too many awesome places to eat CS in WS
Travel time can be a real time suck. Also busses don’t go to DS from resorts until after 4. And if you want to go to park after dinner from Disney springs that involves transfers.

Skip Yak n yeti. Do Satuli canteen is so good! And another one you can mobile order and customize the bowls super easy. Kids portions in the bowls are satisfying size for adults as well

Keep trails End, but leave am open. Also B.B. has these amazing mini doughnuts with different dipping sauces. Omg we snacked on those all day and got some to go.
If you can get to Narcoossees ok? But if you decide you are done early then getting to Narcoossees from the Resort is gonna be a hassle unless you Minnie can it.
Again- way to many delicious places around WS to be tied down to ADR

Personally I think you have way way to many table service right now. They are a time and money suck and it’s hard to predict what you guys will feel like in August heat

Also remember that ADRs day of can be had fairly easily as people cancel all those overplanned days. I find it much too stressful to try to get to FP then ADR, then stress if adr running late to get to another FP etc

As example - just today we were looking at lunch ADRs at 1250-found Kona cafe at 1:35 so here we are.

Our August trip we were so hot each day that we ended up ditching 90% of the ADRs I made. Kept rose and crown for Illumninations. Even let a BoG lunch go:). We just wanted to relax, take our time and not be tied down.
Happy planning!

Unless you have another reason to go to Disney Springs, I would skip Homecomin and just chill at the resort that night. Rest, swim, watch the electric water pageant and fireworks. Sometimes, relaxing with no plan can help reset the pace of the trip.
I also agree with skipping Tony’s and San Angel Inn. Keep the Artists Point though.
Looks like you’re in for an amazing trip. I hope you have a great time!

Agree with all the great advice above! For us, eating more than 1 TS a day feels like it is taking up too much precious time. I would probably drop Tony's for sure. Columbia Harbour house is a great QS with lots of seating (check for tables upstairs if busy). Have you considered bringing in your own lunches one day? It was very freeing when we did. We were able to eat wherever we were when we got hungry without waiting in any lines.

We are going for 2 weeks in December. The only day we have 2 table service meals is at HS where the food isn’t that good. I think Biergarten is a lot of fun and a great break so I would keep that. I agree with the comments here and try Satuli Canteen and skip Tony’s. I agree, Narcoosees is the hard one. I would go back to the hotel in the afternoon and have CS for MK, but maybe do it instead of Homecomin or Artist Point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter