Worst Ending to a Disney Trip EVER! (and other things that happened) - UPDATE 6/22!

Congrats on your son OP. That's great that your husband is a SAHD. My bil did the same thing for a few years and I totally respect people who put their children before their career. You will both look back at this time and be grateful that your son was fully taken care of. Work and money will always come later. Children first.

First, congratulations!! What a beautiful baby. So glad you had the support you needed.
I want to commend you for the decision you made for your husband's health - thats so important -- I wish your family all the very best!!!!

I was actually kind of worried something had happened to you! I checked to see when you had last posted and it was a long, long time ago, kind of a sudden complete disappearance! I am very happy that you're doing well! Congrats on the little one!

So glad you all are healthy & happy! Congratulations on all the life events! Continue to hang out and live vicariously through our friend here on the disboards...I do the same...can't financially swing trips very often now, but when I do they are so much more cherished.

Can't wait for your continued story!

Lynn

So glad to hear you're doing well! Being a new parent is definitely a game changer. Life will never be the same. It's both the best and the worst...but you'd never trade it for the world! Except maybe when they're teenagers...but I'm not there yet, so I don't know.

I hear teenagers are BAD. But then I hear that toddlers are bad, too. So I guess we'll see! I think sometimes it's the anticipation that is hardest and while you are in it you just get it done and sigh in relief when you move past the phase.

I remember thinking "are they really going to let us take this baby home with no supervision? Don't they know we have no idea what the hell we're doing???"

I was like, "Don't we have to pass some test or something?" Our lactation consultant said that sometimes she worries about letting some parents take the babies home. There probably should be some test.

that first smile is THE BEST! For months, you get NOTHING. No positive feedback whatsoever. And then. out of nowhere. That first smile. Just melts your heart and makes you (at least temporarily) forget about all of the screaming.

Enjoy this time right now. It may not seem like it now -- but now is a good time to head out to restaurants with the kid. They're much easier to control at 9 months as compared to 18 months.

What's funny, is that in about 4 to 6 months -- you're going to have this urge to have another one. I don't know what it is with the hormones of the moms, but my wife, right around when our oldest was 14 months old, really wanted to have that second kid.

OMG. The NOTHING for MONTHS! Someone said to me in response to my despair over giving everything to this little thing and getting absolutely nothing in return, "Oh, don't worry, in a month or so you'll get a smile." A MONTH???? I need something NOW. I can't wait a MONTH. Are you kidding me???

Congratulations! He is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your story. PPA is very real and often not talked about - thus, your story may very well help many others. We would love to hear the birth story!! Sorry that you won't get to Disney as often (for now) but it sounds like you have your priorities in place. Can't wait for more updates.

Thank you! I try to be very open about my PPA because I agree that it is not often talked about or accepted. I hope that my story can help others realize what is happening to them and get the help they need. It is completely manageable but it will not get better on its own. I want it to be just a "regular" thing that some people have to deal with - like diabetes or asthma.

Congratulations! Your baby is adorable. I'm sorry to hear there have been some difficult time for your family since his arrival but I'm glad to hear that you have had the support you needed to get through it all. Welcome back!

Thank you! I was very very fortunate. Not only with my doctors but my son's pediatrician is also an internal medicine doctor so she was able to assess me whenever I brought my son in. Which, as a first time mom, was A LOT. :laughing:

I had just found your TR this past weekend and really enjoyed reading it. You have a great sense of humor and I found myself laughing out loud several times. I was hoping you were okay and am glad to hear you're doing well. Your little boy is so adorable! :)

Welcome! I'm glad you found it funny! Thanks for your kind words!

Congrats on your son OP. That's great that your husband is a SAHD. My bil did the same thing for a few years and I totally respect people who put their children before their career. You will both look back at this time and be grateful that your son was fully taken care of. Work and money will always come later. Children first.

Thank you! I am very happy that my DH is staying home. It makes it that much easier for me to go to work. And after being on maternity leave, I can totally respect the challenges that he faces during the day and have some grace when I come home to complete chaos.

First, congratulations!! What a beautiful baby. So glad you had the support you needed.
I want to commend you for the decision you made for your husband's health - thats so important -- I wish your family all the very best!!!!

Thank you and thank you! That scare that we had really reinforced our priorities. We can get through anything if we have each other - but we have to BE here! Everything else comes waaaay second.

Wow, your son is a time traveler who was born in the future!

Shoot! You found out our secret!! Shhhhhh. You cannot tell ANYONE!

I'm totally fixing this so no one else finds out. pixiedust:

I was actually kind of worried something had happened to you! I checked to see when you had last posted and it was a long, long time ago, kind of a sudden complete disappearance! I am very happy that you're doing well! Congrats on the little one!

I'm sorry you were worried! I so should have checked in earlier. Thank you for your concern!

So glad you all are healthy & happy! Congratulations on all the life events! Continue to hang out and live vicariously through our friend here on the disboards...I do the same...can't financially swing trips very often now, but when I do they are so much more cherished.

Can't wait for your continued story!

Lynn

Thank you!! I do think that will be the bright side - Disney will be extra special now!

I hear teenagers are BAD. But then I hear that toddlers are bad, too. So I guess we'll see! I think sometimes it's the anticipation that is hardest and while you are in it you just get it done and sigh in relief when you move past the phase.

Toddlers can be bad -- but the magnitude of their bad deeds are nothing compared to the tragedy that a teenager can cause.

Birth Story - Part 1!

Disclaimer: I won't get in to super gory details but it will be filled with medical stuff so those with aversions to hearing about needles and medical procedures may want to skip this one.

I want to first give you a taste of what my pregnancy was like with this typical day at work picture:

20170329_124927_2.jpg

As you can see, my pregnancy was amazing and transformative and I just GLOWED!

throne-of-lies.gif

True story.

So fast forward through nausea, vomiting, a fun but tiring trip to Chicago with @Raeven where I did have some relief from my nausea but had to order my steak at Shulas....wait for it....well. done. (Quelle horror!!) and we sat next to the drunkest woman in a restaurant on the planet (see Happiest_Haunt on YouTube for a vlog of our trip!), multiple miscarriage scares, buckets of tears in examination rooms, a fun but stressful trip to Disney with my MIL (not her fault, after all my problems I should have known better) where I ended up in the ER and left early to go home and see my doctor to find out that there was nothing wrong with the baby (Thank God!) but I had a horrible infection where the sun don't shine, being schooled by my colon, tons of hard core braxton hicks, a very strange visit to labor and delivery in trimester 2, and throwing out my knee at the end of the third trimester because I was a whale.

See?

20170910_125046_2.jpg

giphy.gif

That was me one week out from my due date. Due to my age and various other reasons, my doctor and I decided that I wouldn't go past my due date so she scheduled me for an induction on my actual due date (Sept 16th). It was a relief to have an actual end date instead of the waiting around for something to happen. I was also really worried about getting to the hospital during rush hour since you have to go over a river to get there and traffic is always backed up on the bridge. Sept 16th was a Saturday and my induction was scheduled for 8am so traffic wouldn't be a problem.

I did not go in to labor at all before the 16th so I woke up bright and early at 5am to call the hospital as instructed to let them know I was coming. They said to come on in at 8am. DH and I ate some breakfast while I tried not to think about what was going to happen. On the way to the hospital, I got a phone call from the nursing staff telling me that they had a lot of spontaneous births in the last hour and they didn't have enough nursing staff for me to come in. She was going to call me back in a couple of hours to let me know when I could come in.

Since we were going by my parent's house and it was halfway to the hospital, we decided to wait there. We were slightly annoyed but resigned to waiting a bit. My dad was making an awesome breakfast and I wanted to eat some more but since I had already eaten and I knew that I wasn't supposed to have a lot of food, I just drank some apple juice.

We discussed if we thought the baby would be born today or tomorrow. Both my sisters also had inductions and they had a long first phase of labor with lots of watching TV and reading. Apparently our babies wanted to keep playing bouncy castle with our lungs and ribs. And bladder.

Two hours later, I got another phone call from the nurse telling me it was going to be another two hours. Okay. Sure. Then, two hours later yet another phone call telling me it was for sure going to be another two hours and maybe not even today but she was going to see what she could do.

First...

TheseThinDeer-size_restricted.gif

Then....

giphy.gif

At that point, my emotions were all over the place and I was tired of waiting for the phone to ring just to be disappointed. And it sounded like they were really struggling at the hospital so I decided that the next time she called, I was going to tell her to just reschedule me for Sunday. Then DH and I would go to my favorite restaurant for dinner and try again tomorrow, fresh.

2pm came with a phone call. She said that she could get me in at 3:15pm! Oh wow. Okay. Great. Let's do it!

Cray-zay, this is happening!!! I'm excited and nervous and scared! Even though I've read a lot about labor and such, it is still a big mystery to me how it all really works. The scientist in me is super excited to be in the know!

giphy.gif

WARNING: BODILY FUNCTIONS AHEAD....

I went to the bathroom before I left because I'm a stress-pee...er? Or I nervous pee? I have no idea what to call it. Anyway, I did my business, stood up, and quickly sat back down again. D@mn! I am so glad this baby is coming out today because I am tired of not being able to control my bladder! <sigh> I was so naive then. Little did I know that this would be a continuing problem even after birth.

Ahhh, youth.

I took care of everything and left the bathroom. On my way out the front door, I feel myself peeing again.

giphy.gif

I look down and I see clear liquid going down my leg. OMG, I think my water just broke!

I walk to the car and get in the driver's seat. (I have to drive otherwise I get carsick.) DH is already inside. I told him that I think my water broke and I was about to make a very big mess in the car.

He kind of looks at me wild-eyed and says, Do you need a towel?
Me: Yeah, I think I might.
Him: Yeah, you should definitely get one.
Me: Okay. <leaves the car>

:rotfl2:

How is it that I'm the one going to get towels??

I think we were both stunned and I'm action-oriented so I just went to get the job done! At this point, I wasn't have any contractions (that I could feel) so all that was happening was water was slowly leaking. It is NOTHING like the movies, kids. Not a fast dump with a splash of water. A slow trickle that sort of feels like you are peeing.

Ah, pregnancy. You just keep on giving.

My dad was startled to see me rush back into the house. (My mom had left to help my sister with her son. Apparently, it isn't exciting anymore when your sisters have already had kids. :rolleyes2) I told him that I think my water broke and I need an old towel. He shouted and leaped down the stairs to the laundry room and came back with three towels that he quickly shoved in my hands and then shoved me out the door.

I stood there, nonplussed for a second (okay, well, at least he isn't used to labor yet), then I rushed back to the car and drove off. Which, in hindsight, was probably a very stupid thing to do. What if I had gotten contractions while driving and caused an accident?? It never occurred to me. Just that I didn't want to be carsick and DH drives like an old woman and I needed to feel like I had SOME control over this crazy thing that was taking over my body.

We got to the hospital without incident. I drove up to the front and got out while DH took the car to park. I rushed into labor and delivery and told them that I was schedule for induction at 3:15pm but actually my water broke just as we were coming over here. The nurse said that they were expecting me and she would call my room nurse and she would come and get me. Meanwhile, I could take a seat in the waiting room.

Okay. Okay.

I can do that.

Sit. .....And get water everywhere. Shoot. DH came back from parking the car and I sent him back out to get my towels. I used the time in the waiting room to text everyone to let them know that I was finally going in! Yay!

Except I wasn't.

We waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Plugged in our phones to recharge. Thankfully, I hadn't had any contractions yet. I just leaked everywhere. Which is probably why all the seats in the labor and delivery room are vinyl.

People came and went visiting babies. Nurses came in and out of the secured delivery area.

What the h*ll? I thought it was a pretty big deal that my water broke. Doesn't it mean that we're on a huge time limit? I haven't even started having contractions yet!

Did they forget about us? I got up and paced around so that they could see I was still there. Because who goes and talks to someone to find out information about what is happening? Not this Minnesotan! That would be too confrontational. I decided that they could notice me even more if I went to the bathroom and I should go anyway because who knows what's going to happen when I do get in.

It must have worked because when I came out, DH was standing with our nurse, ready to go in. See? No need to "confront" anyone. :laughing:

We walked into the secured area and past the nurses station. One of the nurses stopped me and said that she was the one on the phone and she appreciated my patience. I told her that my water broke so I was coming in no matter what! She wished me luck and we continued to the room.

We had toured the facilities a few months before so I knew what to expect - a big room with an adjustable hospital bed, a (once again) vinyl couch that could be made into a "bed" and a private bathroom. It smelled strongly of disinfectant and the floors were still wet. I guess they must have been really busy. They must have had no choice but to let me wait.

I gave the nurse my birth plan which was essentially "Please don't do anything without speaking to me first unless it's a medical emergency and I absolutely want an epidural but I would like to go as far as I can without it." Mostly to be able to move around instead of being stuck on the bed and also to test my limits a little. (I was young and stupid back then.)

We did a little bit of paperwork though most of it was done because I did the pre-check-in. Just like Disney!

I changed into one of the always gorgeous and flattering hospital gowns and they put in an IV. They decided to give me some pitocin to get me going since my water broke and I still wasn't having contractions. I hate needles so the IV was not a fun experience, especially since they stick it in a ways but I'm glad they secured it really well so it didn't tug and the insertion pain went away after a few minutes.

Here I am waiting for the IV nurse:

Waiting to go.jpg
I look AH-MAZING. I especially like how the shoulders rise up off of me to give people periodic flashes of the ladies. I don't look like a I'm in a sumo suit at all!

Determined to do this the Right and Proper way (is there a right and proper way to deliver??), I turned on Say Yes to the Dress, took out an exercise ball from their cabinet and bounced around like I knew what I was doing. (Spoiler: I didn't) I had done everything to "Prepare Properly" for the labor, including make a "hard core" song playlist and a soft songs playlist.

DH took out a book and settled in to read.

We were ready to go!

Or were we???

Birth Story Part 2

Last edited:
I'm glad you've returned!

I remember well the first time we had a baby. Rough is a vast understatement! We laugh about it now, but nothing, I mean nothing, prepares you for it.

I also remember having to take a four year hiatus from WDW, and it was tough. We would go through "dream scenarios" where we would plan a trip on paper, but we knew we couldn't afford it, so we never did it.

You will get back eventually, and get the great opportunity that we get as parents in seeing WDW through their eyes.

I'm glad everyone is healthy and enjoying these moments with the baby.

So happy for your little family. Congrats on the sweet little addition. When we found out we were expecting, we saw all our Disney dreams dashed as well, but we decided we are taking him for his 5th birthday come hell or high water... and as he's getting ready to turn 4 in August, it seems like magical little things are happening that are not only going to "allow" us to go, but are encouraging us to go. It will get better... but let me just say, the DIS is my "get away" when I need 15 minutes of peace to myself... and a little bit of Disney. We haven't been to Disney in 5 years... and have another year and a half to wait, but the boards are what's getting me through... and helping me plan. Best of luck!

Just found your TR! Left off after Kidani first night :rolleyes1 Congrats on your baby boy! He’s beautiful. Just think of all the fun WDW trips you’ll have taking him when he’s older.
My 2 daughters still love going to Disney with me. I didn’t take them till they were teens, now they’re 28 & 31 and still enjoy our mom-daughter trips. I leave DH home, he doesn’t get Disney! Lol.

I'm glad you've returned!

I remember well the first time we had a baby. Rough is a vast understatement! We laugh about it now, but nothing, I mean nothing, prepares you for it.

I also remember having to take a four year hiatus from WDW, and it was tough. We would go through "dream scenarios" where we would plan a trip on paper, but we knew we couldn't afford it, so we never did it.

You will get back eventually, and get the great opportunity that we get as parents in seeing WDW through their eyes.

I'm glad everyone is healthy and enjoying these moments with the baby.

Thank you!

That's the thing! Nothing can prepare you for this! It's insane!! I wish there was some way to really get across to people the difficulty and magnitude of having a baby. You just can't. Maybe if you went through SEAL training with torture survival training, you'd be prepared for a baby. :rotfl:

So happy for your little family. Congrats on the sweet little addition. When we found out we were expecting, we saw all our Disney dreams dashed as well, but we decided we are taking him for his 5th birthday come hell or high water... and as he's getting ready to turn 4 in August, it seems like magical little things are happening that are not only going to "allow" us to go, but are encouraging us to go. It will get better... but let me just say, the DIS is my "get away" when I need 15 minutes of peace to myself... and a little bit of Disney. We haven't been to Disney in 5 years... and have another year and a half to wait, but the boards are what's getting me through... and helping me plan. Best of luck!

Thank you! I am so glad that you'll be getting to go back soon! I'm hoping to go in a few years for my 40th bday but we'll see. At least most of the construction should be finished by the time you go! Good timing!

Just found your TR! Left off after Kidani first night :rolleyes1 Congrats on your baby boy! He’s beautiful. Just think of all the fun WDW trips you’ll have taking him when he’s older.
My 2 daughters still love going to Disney with me. I didn’t take them till they were teens, now they’re 28 & 31 and still enjoy our mom-daughter trips. I leave DH home, he doesn’t get Disney! Lol.

Thank you! I am looking forward to taking him to WDW and experiencing it with a child. I know DH will want to go at least the first time but after that, I'm not sure if he'd be interested. He did not care for WDW when we went back in 2008. But I know a lot more now!

Birth Story - Part 2

Okay, so I left off with me bouncing on an exercise ball for some reason and DH reading a book.

As I was bouncing, I was thinking - "I think I can go awhile doing this." Bounce, bounce. "Then, I'll maybe ask for aromatherapy. That would be awesome." Bounce, bounce. "I'll have to make su-"

OMGGGGGGGGGGG!

WHAT THE H#LL WAS THAT?!?!?!?

LORD ALMIGHTY!

<WHEEZE>

giphy.gif

IpPNDQC.gif

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

9PsQ1aK.gif

I clutched the edge of the bed and gasped out to DH, "Epidural. NOW!"

While DH got the nurse, I slowly crawled on to the bed trying not to dislodge my IV. Wow. I didn't last long, did I? How do women do this without medication??? I have broken a bone, fallen down (and up!) the stairs multiple times (I'm clumsy), and been in a car accident. All of those were insect bites compared to this! Pain was rocketing up my back and my entire front midsection had seized up. The midsection pain slowly decreased but my back felt like a giant claw had torn through my back, grabbed my spine, and twisted. How do we still have humans on the planet???

The nurse came in with another nurse and said, "I hear that we are ready for an epidural. How are you feeling?"

Like I want to die. "Like I am soooo ready for an epidural. Everything hurts, especially my back."

"Okay, we'll call the anesthesiologist to put in the epidural. This is P'Young, I'm going off-duty and she will be taking care of you for the night."

P'Young was a tiny Asian woman from, I found out later, Vietnam. To my absolute shame, I was a little worried about leaving the care of my anglo white nurse for a woman who looked like English wasn't her first language. I was concerned about understanding her and communicating my needs to her in this, the most important moment of my life. I was also concerned because she was a sort of intern or "junior" nurse who occasionally needed guidance. I can't remember how they described it. I found out later that she had nursed in labor and delivery in Vietnam but since her training was there, she had to start a bit from scratch when she came here to work.

I didn't have much time to worry about P'Young because the contractions were taking all of my concentration.
The anesthesiologist came to do the epidural. I sat on the edge of the bed and DH sat on a chair in front of me. I grabbed his hands and arched my back. "Like a cat" as P'Young described. Which made me smile even through the pain.

The anesthesiologist was making all sorts of alarming noises behind me with clinks and rips and crinkles. He poked along my spine and then pushed a small blunt object really hard onto a very sensitive place on my spine. Yikes!!!

giphy.gif

I instinctively jerked and moved away and was told to stay still and continue to arch my back. Okaaaay, but dang. That wasn't it??

Oh no.

No.

No.

That wasn't it at all. I soon learned what "it" was when he actually started using his tools of torture. I will not go in to the details of the very very horrible experience that transpired but there was a lot of screaming, DH's hands looked like they had been crushed, and he was covered in tears, snot, and spit.

I just sat there when it was all done. I was completely stunned by what had just happened. The anesthesiologist asked how I was doing and commented that that was a rough one.

giphy.gif

I said that it felt weird. I had a shooting pain from the insertion site to this very specific spot at my bum. I even had DH turn around and I showed the anesthesiologist on DH where I could feel the line of pain. He kind of shrugged and said that I should lie down now.

P'Young helped me gently lay back and I asked him if my experience was typical and he said that it should feel much like inserting an IV. I told him that was a million times worse than an IV. He then implied that I was weak since I asked for an epidural right away and I jerked in pain even when he had only been using the marker on my back to mark his spot. Even though I was thinking the same thing myself, I did NOT appreciate him implying so. Henceforth, the anesthesiologist was referred to in my mind as AH. For a$$hole.

My feet were starting to tingle so, job done, he left. I was feeling really weird. My right leg was numb, my left was tingling, and my back was still seizing. And I could still feel that weird line of pain to my bum. I explained this to P'Young and she checked the insertion site on my back and said it was correct. She got the original nurse who wasn't off duty yet and I explained to her what was happening. She suggested I lay on my side and let gravity move the medication to my left leg.

Are you serious? We are going to rely on gravity to make this work??

Alllriiight....

So I lay on my left side waiting for gravity to make the medication kick in. This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. As I am laying on my side, I just want to shave off my back so it won't hurt so much. My abdomen has also been adding to the pain. I can definitely tell each contraction as it's coming. The problem is that the pain due to the contraction increases and then decreases but the pain in my back is unrelenting. I get no break from the pain. This is not working.

I tell that to P'Young and she asks if I can move my legs. I demonstrate by moving my legs all over the place. She calls the another nurse in. The first nurse has now gone off duty. The other nurse comes in and P'Young tells her I can move my legs. The other nurse says that some patients are able to move their legs while having an epidural. P'Young tells her that this is not right, that I can move my legs way more than I should be able to move them.

The nurse says that AH will have to come back in, take out the epidural, and try again.

giphy.gif

I think a minute while another contraction moves through. Yeah, I can't keep doing this. I'm already exhausted. I tell the nurse that I would like him to come back.

They go out and come back in to tell me that AH has been called into an emergency C-section and it's going to be at least an hour before he will be able to come back.

giphy.gif

Fine.

That's just.....fine....

Again, we wait.

P'Young tells me to go back to my left side. The pain gets so bad that I grip the bedrails and shake. DH comes over and puts his hand over mine.

I look up and tell him, "I can't wait to forget this." (HA! I have yet to forget about it and it's been 8 months.)

After awhile, P'Young moves me to my other side. She rubs my leg and my arm. So far, she's been really great. I can feel her caring about me. It helps a little. DH strokes my hair. I feel weirdly better but still completely horrible. It feels like we're a team - completely focused on one goal.

At some point later, AH comes back. He makes some sort of quip that I think was meant to be funny or interesting but I'm beyond caring. He tells me to move to the side of the bed again. Here we go. I sit on the side but I'm too far down so he wants me to move up the bed. P'Young comes rushing over to help me but I got this. I put my feet on the floor and push myself up and off the side.

Completely off the side.

And onto the floor, completely crushing poor P'Young. DH tried to grab me but ended up with a handful of my hospital gown. Whoops!!!

giphy.gif

Yeah, I guess the epidural is working more than I thought. I cannot support any weight on my legs whatsoever. This is so bizarre!

DH and P'Young get me back up on the bed. I brace myself with DH and do the cat arch. AH takes out the epidural. I yell as it comes out but it's not as bad as going in. AH does his thing once again and while it was extremely unpleasant, no screaming, snot, or tears this time around. Oh, thank god.

AH comes around to me and says, "I just had to move over a few centimeters. That's all! There must be a bundle of nerves right there."

Oh, ya think? I take a deep breath and say "Thank you" even though I tried to tell him something was wrong before but I'm just a helpless, weak female who knows nothing about her body. Why would you listen to me?

I lay back and I can feel my legs going numb. Fabulous. Unfortunately, the epidural only numbs half my back so the top half is still spasming. Which is actually probably fortunate because I need to be able to move my muscles to breathe. It just HURTS!

Time passes. DH tries to get some sleep. I also try to get some sleep but I'm super uncomfortable. I just watch the contraction monitor. P'Young comes in to check on me once in awhile and to help me switch sides. I learn that she is from Vietnam and was a labor and delivery nurse there. She tells me that it is so nice and quiet here because in Vietnam there are no epidurals and all the women are screaming all the time. I have never been so grateful to be in the US than at that moment. Those poor, poor, women. That's just inhumane.

Everything progresses. My epidural runs out. I panic. They once again call in AH to put another round of medication in the little container feeding my epidural line. yayy...my favorite person ever...

Just before midnight, P'Young pronounces that I am ready to start pushing if I feel the urge. Okay.

When I feel the urge.

When I FEEL the urge.

When I feel the URGE.

I am not feeling the urge.

At.

All.

Midnight passes. It is now the next day. P'Young comes in and has me try and push. No progress. Bummer.

I can start to feel my legs a bit. Oh crap.

I call in P'Young. She says that we can't add any more medicine because it's too close to time. Apparently, my body burns through pain medication. That's nice to know too late.

I feel a change in my body that I can't describe and it's not an urge to push but it's definitely SOMETHING. P'Young comes rushing in and has me go back to my side. She moves the monitors around on my belly. Her face looks concerned. I can't see the monitors because I have my back to them. I hear her say something about the baby's heartbeat.

What about the heartbeat?!?!

I look at DH who has been sitting on a stool next to my bed for the last few hours, offering support. He's looking at the monitors and P'Young.

P'Young tells me it's fine and then says she has to make a call. I ask DH if everything is okay. He says that it is. I ask him if this is one of those times that they lie to the pregnant lady because they don't want her to panic. He says no, he can see the heartbeat monitor. I ask him what the number is. I can't remember what he said but I clutched his hands and told him that was really low. I hear P'Young on the phone saying something about a disappearing heartbeat.

What!

What!

All of a sudden, there are three nurses in the room and I am panicking. They actually look pretty calm. They lay me on my back and move the monitors around A LOT. I'm starting to feel a little nauseous. The park the monitor on the top of my belly, right on top of my stomach (which has been backed up into my ribs for the last several weeks. THAT has been a weird sensation.) The tension mounts. I can feel myself starting to become unglued. P'Young grabs me and jerks me to my left side. (She is STRONG.) All at once, everyone gives a huge sigh of relief. The heartbeat is back and rising to an appropriate level.

635762362008185485-1386858562_tina-fey-relief-phew.gif

Well, I thought I would be able to finish this but it's taken a lot more time than I thought!

Birth Story - Part 3! The last part, I promise.

Last edited:
Oh wow, what a roller coaster. I hope things went more smoothly from here on out. I also had a prolonged induction and an awful epidural experience with my first, and your post gave me flashbacks! I'm so sorry you had to endure all of that.

I went without an epidural the next time and despite the pain I was much happier - just so you know it is possible :)

Wow!! You are a trooper!
Thanks for sharing your story, your son is beautiful.
I never had time for an epidural, that's a whole other out of control experience.

You all will get back to Disney when the time is right and will really enjoy seeing through your son's eyes.

Here is Rory 1 day old:

20170918_101404_2-jpg.327467

He was born with so much hair!
He is so cute! My girls were bald as they come! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

giphy.gif

I look down and I see clear liquid going down my leg. OMG, I think my water just broke!
Be Careful! I have a theory to your kids birth story is a reflection on there personalities!My youngest wanted to come 5 weeks early and they stopped the labor and then ended up coming 2 week early. And she is still always go go go and all in. My second was not coming out, and I needed to be induced. And then I ended up with a SUPER fast labor. And my youngest is stubborn as all get but then once we changes her mind it is full steam ahead!

He kind of looks at me wild-eyed and says, Do you need a towel?
Me: Yeah, I think I might.
Him: Yeah, you should definitely get one.
Me: Okay. <leaves the car>

:rotfl2:

How is it that I'm the one going to get towels??
Oh boys!

It must have worked because when I came out, DH was standing with our nurse, ready to go in. See? No need to "confront" anyone. :laughing:
Nice... I am the same way!

P'Young grabs me and jerks me to my left side. (She is STRONG.) All at once, everyone gives a huge sigh of relief. The heartbeat is back and rising to an appropriate level.
They did this to me as well. It is amazing how some things are resolved with shifting and moving!

With my second, they told me I couldn't get an episode right away because of low white blood cell count and high blood pressure.. I wanted to cry... I had to wait awhile for them to draw more blood and more tests to come back .... it was FOREVER!!!!

Oh, I so feel your pain with the epidural. My experience was not even close to as bad as yours, but I, like you found a new respect for women that can do childbirth without drugs. I am a wimp. I knew that going in. Funny thing is, I had a similar experience with my water breaking. I went to the bathroom, and thought, hmmm...i did not actually (for lack of better description) release that water...had no idea if my water broke or not...doctor sent us to the hospital where we learned it had indeed broken. No contractions, so also had Pictocin. Everytime a nurse walked in I asked for an epidural (was told I had to wait until 4 cm...I was at 2 :) ) They finally decide to give me the epidural since I am not really progressing. I wait a few more hours and decide that if this is what it feels like with an epidural, they are going to have to knock me out completely. I tell the nurse this and she asks if I am feeling pain or pressure...how the heck would I know, it sure feels like pain but I have never had a baby before so what do I know, right? THe battleaxe AH (definitely appropriate name) comes in and says well if the first one did not take, a second probably won't either...said well you are going to try! I felt it pretty immediately once it was done right. Slept through till pushing time. Ending up getting through the birth and all was well, but it was a little unerving when the doctor stitching me up kept saying "oh sh$$, Oh Sh$$" ...I did not care at the time cause I then had good drugs and was glad to have a 9.5 lb baby out of me. Asked him about it the next day and he said at least I did not notice when he said OMG! when the baby's shoulder went back in after coming out! (He had the worst shoulder dislocation the doctor had ever seen...yeah, that's my boy!) :)
And btw, he is now 24, and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!