Worst View in Aulani ..but still, it's Aulani!

Dave Dizney

<font color=blue>Super-Duper organized Ultimate Di
Just got back last weekend from 8 days in Hawaii - three days in Waikiki, a couple in Kona, and a couple at Aulani. My wife and I were alone, and the resort was our "dessert" of our trip. All-in-all it was a fantastic bucket-list experience.

Just a quick overview so you understand why we didn't stay the entire time at Aulani (BTW - we're huge Disney fans - so don't be hatin'). This was my wife's first trip to Hawaii and my first since I was an adult. We spent the first few days doing the Honolulu things; Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach (stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village - terrific place), and day-tripping to the North Shore and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Then we flew to the Big Island and visited a Coffee plantation, black sand beach, went snorkeling, and visited the Volcano National Park.

Then, our last two days we bought points through Dave's site. The check-in was everything you'd expect from a Disney Deluxe resort and then some. Lei's, citrus water, a cast member walks you into the lobby and gives you a brief introduction to the resort, and then friendly people to check your bags in while you wait for your room (we arrived in the morning). They even had a lounge with showers and lockers to use before our room was ready, so we changed into swimwear and spent the morning and early afternoon at the beach. As recommended, we went across the street for lunch - but instead of the Monkey Pod, went to the "Just Tacos" place and shared a meal. Not bad. Shopping nearby ("Pineapple") scored the wife a "perfect" sundress she had spent the week looking for.

We went back and further explored the resort and got notification our room was ready around 3:00, and went up to move in. We're cheap, and room views don't really matter to us, but at our last two resorts we actually got better views than we paid - but our low-budget room at Aulani was Room 457. I looked at every angle of the resort and concluded it was the worst view in the entire resort. It overlooks the breezeway roof to the convention center. The roof is, well..., not a garden paradise. Here's our view:zview1.jpg
It's funny, the balcony actually is the ONLY one I found that is actually partially "bricked up."
zview2.jpg
But, like I said, we didn't come for the view - we got plenty of views outside of the room. The room itself was great - clean, comfortable, and Disneyesque. Nothing to complain about.

We ate at 'Ama'Ama and Makahiki (our favorite of the two) for dinners and Ulu Cafe for breakfast and a lunch. Swam in about every pool and the lagoon. Took an afternoon jaunt up the West coast and found some beautiful venues to throw our lei's into the ocean. We even made a trip down the road to a Costco for gas for the rental and a quick stop at the WalMart (actually, they have a good selection of Hawaii gifts that were the exact same products but MUCH cheaper than the ABC stores and every other venue we explored that week).

In two days, we had done about as much as we needed for our vacation Disney fix. I found the resort to be an interesting mix between a Disney cruise and a resort stay. A few less adult activities than the ships - I was really bummed to find out that all the pools, including the adult only, closed at 8pm! In fact, other than a star-gazing activity, the entire place pretty much closed up around then.

I counted only about 4 two-chair tables in 'Ama'Ama - again, we get it - we went to Disney when our kids were living with us, but now we're weird. The lazy river was fun - the slides were good, but we really enjoyed the video scavenger hunts that had so many fun surprises along the way - but the look we got from some of the kids who had to wait behind us for their turn!

I found the gift shop to be more typical of a resort (DW/DL) gift shop - lots of stuff for kids, but limited for adult items (especially for men, as usual, but I ended spending more than I wanted on a Hawaiian shirt). The folks from DVC were everywhere - but the didn't hard-sell. Again, the only problematic people we met were self-entitled guests.

Well, that's our quickie - any questions, let me know!

We found that the pools were open until 8 on Thursday night, 9 on Friday night and 10 on Saturday night when we were there a week ago.

Looks like they bricked up half of the balcony to try to save you from that horrible view. Yikes. LOL But a bad view at Aulani is still better then the view from home. :D

Yep! We laughed - the difference between the price of this room and a comparable hotel-style room was enough to extend our stay and shopping that week! We were only in the room at night, so we'd often say "what view?" Loved every minute there!

I actually have that room number in my notes as one to avoid. A blogger did a report on Disney last year and noted avoid that room! Sorry you had it though. I go in July and am breaking the trip up in Waikikki as well (Halekalini for 4 nights than Aulani for 5), Your description of Aulani reaffirmed my choice to split the stay. THANKS! If you returned to Hawaii again would you stay in Waikkikki or Aulani or both again?

That's a question we asked ourselves after our trip - and it's tough. Though we're die-hard Disney people, we REALLY enjoyed "resort-hopping" during our trip. It gave us different perspectives of the islands. Staying in Waikiki gave us a feel for the busy, fast, and fun city experience - staying in the Royal Kona on the Big Island was quiet and laid back, and Aulani was cultural and Disney-fied. If we were to do another trip within the next few years (which I doubt) I most likely would do something up on the north shore and visit another island. If I was taking kids, I might be pulled back to Aulani, but going as a couple I'd probably pass.

The thing about Hawaii (in comparison to Florida or California), is that I didn't go for a Disney experience, I went for a Hawaii experience. Since we are the kind of people who enjoy getting around the island and go "warrior-ing" around, I'm more concerned about WHERE our resort is rather than it being a Disney resort. Granted, I don't think any of our three resorts last week enticed us to stay on-site as much as Aulani, but that actually may be another reason why I'd branch out to other locations.

Long answer = /\ - short answer = neither?. :rolleyes:

That's a question we asked ourselves after our trip - and it's tough. Though we're die-hard Disney people, we REALLY enjoyed "resort-hopping" during our trip. It gave us different perspectives of the islands. Staying in Waikiki gave us a feel for the busy, fast, and fun city experience - staying in the Royal Kona on the Big Island was quiet and laid back, and Aulani was cultural and Disney-fied. If we were to do another trip within the next few years (which I doubt) I most likely would do something up on the north shore and visit another island. If I was taking kids, I might be pulled back to Aulani, but going as a couple I'd probably pass.

The thing about Hawaii (in comparison to Florida or California), is that I didn't go for a Disney experience, I went for a Hawaii experience. Since we are the kind of people who enjoy getting around the island and go "warrior-ing" around, I'm more concerned about WHERE our resort is rather than it being a Disney resort. Granted, I don't think any of our three resorts last week enticed us to stay on-site as much as Aulani, but that actually may be another reason why I'd branch out to other locations.

Long answer = /\ - short answer = neither?. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I too think this is one and done - mostly bc of distance. East coast! My DD19 is with us and I was insistant on Aulani b/c I is Disney but I succumbed to the split trip of Halekalani (I think that is the spelling...super nice hotel in waikikki!). We always resort hop at WDW - I have to split the trip as one hotel feels too much like a commitment. We are looking forward to the trip and went first class allllll the way in case it was one and done...this way topping the trip would be difficult and often dissuades me from attempting to visit again!!! Thanks for the input.

Yes - although we got some of our best photos on the west coast just up the road from Aulani.
small west coast.jpg
A great place for a 1/2 day trip - but I'd agree, one and done.

Oh man, that view is a bummer! We rented points for a standard studio and our view overlooked the courtyard of the convention center on floor 5. During our 6 days there, we saw a wedding and reception and the US Secretary of Defense giving a speech to foreign dignitaries! The latter was pretty cool, especially with secret service all over the place.

I agree with you that with the price of the resort compared to other resorts, maybe you'd expect a little more out of the view. LOL. We stayed at 3 other resorts during our time in Hawaii, all of which were less expensive, and the studio at Aulani was BY FAR the smallest room we had. Not complaining, just funny!

That photo was in Maili - just up the road a bit from the resort. A great "goodbye" to our time in the islands. This beach area had one of the most beautifully colored water I've ever seen!

I'm wondering, was your room 2 Queens or a King with a sofa bed? Also, by renting points you got parking but no daily housekeeping, correct? I'm trying to compare booking a Standard Hotel Room through Disney with "renting" one through Dave's. Thanks!

Our room was a Studio, so it was one queen and one queen sleeper-sofa. Renting points meant we got free parking (which was great since we rented a car, got there and back to the airport quickly, and was able to explore the west shore). I found using Dave's DVC site was GREAT and saved us $ over the standard hotel. Had we found it earlier, we would have stayed longer.

Our room was a Studio, so it was one queen and one queen sleeper-sofa. Renting points meant we got free parking (which was great since we rented a car, got there and back to the airport quickly, and was able to explore the west shore). I found using Dave's DVC site was GREAT and saved us $ over the standard hotel. Had we found it earlier, we would have stayed longer.

Thanks...for some reason I thought you had rented points for a standard room. Sorry about that!

Thanks for posting pictures. Was that a hotel room or a standard studio? We had an Island garden view last stay and it had a great view of the ocean and luau. That said we never used the balconies for more than a few minutes here and there. For points savings and a quick trip I’d take the no view and more nights anytime.

It was a standard studio. I've come to a conclusion - I never pay for a view on a Disney property since the only view I usually have is of the pillows. The only exception was on the Disney Cruise Line - where the veranda was one of our most frequented locations. So at Aulani, the worst view was still great - the interior of the room was exceptional, the resort was fun, and the venue of Oahu was amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter