Would I be an idiot for doing this?

captjackswench91

Earning My Ears
I am becoming a High school senior when school starts back up and I was wondering if maybe after I graduate, I could take a year off from school, do the career start program, and then go to college. Would I be an idiot?

No, not at all.

I think it's important to head off to college when you think you're ready to. If that means taking off a year to work, to travel or what have you, then that's absolutely fine! You only live your life once, and if taking a break from school helps you to focus that much more on your studies later on, then that's a respectable thing.

Of course, there are tangible benefits and transferable skills that you'll gain out of a Disney experience, so that's a plus too. It sounds like you're trying to plan out your future - and such is not the hallmark of an unwise person.

I agree; go for it. If you have an idea of where you'd like to go to college, it might be a good idea to go through the application process now, as a senior, and then ask to defer your acceptance by one year. You'll get the application process out of the way, be able to ask your teachers to write recommendation letters for you (if applicable), and not have to worry about writing college essays when you’re out of school mode and into work mode. Good luck!

I agree as well. I will also be going into grade twelve but as I'm Canadian I can't do the CareerStart program.

However, I've already decided to apply to the International Summer Programs and if all goes well I might take a year off to do the Cultural Representive Program.

Even though I am not going to go into a career in Disney, csaribay is right- there are lots of transferabel skills.

Plus it's the experience that really counts. It's your life. Just because the system has a "regular" way of doing things, doesn't mean you have to follow it. Especially because you can't do the CareerStart Program once you start college/university, if you really want to do it, don't let a one-time oppurtunity pass you by.

I think I'm starting to ramble now so I shall simply stop.

Hope everything turns out OK!

-merfsko

That is exaclty what i was planning to do! I'm also a Senior, and when I graduate, i plan on applying for the Career Start Program for Fall 2009 at the Disneyland Resort, then going to college. Then maybe apply for the College Program after I finish a couple semesters.

I think it's a great idea. I went into college with no idea what I wanted to do. So, I spent two years doing business, a year doing Poli-Sci/Justice Studies and then finally landed on English and Comm. It is really frustrating finding what you want to do your fourth year into college. At that point, I felt it was too late to really explore those areas. It is a smart thing to hold off and get some real world experience if you think it is best for you. I wish I would of done that. Figure out where you think belong and then head off to college. A bit of advice.....try different things. Things that you may be interested in but aren't too sure about. I found out what my talents are by accident. So, do what is best for you and don't stress out about too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter