Would like to hear from solo travelers doing ABD

Bete

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about going solo, but I have to admit I'm really feeling like an outcast doing it. I haven't decided on a destination yet.

I feel like I may standout like a sore thumb. I have an outgoing personality, but that may not be enough to mingle. I'm not sure I want to eat alone, either.

Then, I think about meals and I'm not sure how welcome I will be to sit with other families and such. I can't force myself on a family, either.

Is this a good idea or should I just forget it?

I'm thinking about going solo, but I have to admit I'm really feeling like an outcast doing it. I haven't decided on a destination yet.

I feel like I may standout like a sore thumb. I have an outgoing personality, but that may not be enough to mingle. I'm not sure I want to eat alone, either.

Then, I think about meals and I'm not sure how welcome I will be to sit with other families and such. I can't force myself on a family, either.

Is this a good idea or should I just forget it?

While I'm not a solo ABD traveler, I've known several and I would not think you have anything to worry about, especially if you have an outgoing personality. I suggest, if you decide to go solo, finding an adventure where others on the Disboards are going so that you can get to know your fellow travelers before you leave. The ABD forum is a great place to find out who is traveling on what trip. And if you go on a DIS exclusive trip, it just wouldn't be possible to eat alone or stand out like a sore thumb.

that it seems pretty friendly overall.

Maybe, some solo travelers can say what trips may have worked out the best.

Also, what did you do with free time? Do you venture out on your own; try to join a family; or just stay in your room/hotel?

I've been on 5 ABD trips…4 as a solo traveler. All of the trips were DIS exclusive trips. I would recommend going that route. I've yet to be the only solo traveler. That being said, I've found the other travelers to be very welcoming. I spent quite a bit of the free time with others on the trips. Do expect to spend some time on your own though. If that is an issue, then try to pick a trip where you are comfortable with the location…Backstage Magic is a great starter trip. I'm sure you would feel comfortable touring a park on your own. On the flip side, being in another country and not knowing the language can be extremely isolating when you are on your own. That being said, I had some good times wondering around on my own in Italy and France. It all really depends on how comfortable you are on your own. All of this is a long winded way of saying that you should go for it. You'll have a blast on a wonderful trip and meet some great people. Don't let going solo hold you back.

I appreciate hearing from a soloist.

I'm not expecting to have every minute covered with someone else when I'm doing solo.

I have done 5 ABD's as a solo traveler, and am planning my 6th for this August. One of the reasons I *do* ABD's is so that I won't feel out of place or alone (unless I want to be). If you can't manage a DIS Exclusive trip, I highly recommend doing one of the Adults Only trips. I've only had one ABD where I was the only single (Greece, unless you count the college grad there with her parents). Sometimes, for the "on your own" meals, you might have to speak up, and ask "Can I join you?", but in my experience, people on these trips don't mind. I have eaten some meals on my own, but I do that at home, too, and enjoy it occasionally. But I've had other times where others have said "Come on!" and asked me to join them. I have *never* felt like I stuck out. The Adventure Guides really work hard to instill a sense of community on the group. I say "Go for it!"

(Oh, and in my experience, most of the meals are done communally, with several people at large tables. It's generally only the "on your own" meals where you'd need to worry about any of that.)

Please do head over to the ABD Forum. I've set up Meets threads for DISers to connect with other DISers doing the same departure. Maybe you can find a trip that interests you, with some other DISers signed up, and join in, and decide if you want to join them on that trip!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933855

Sayhello

December 2014 will be my first ABD trip but I am going solo- everything I have seen on the boards indicates that I will feel welcomed and included-I can't wait!

I know this is late in the game, but I have been to Disneyworld several times on my own and I went to Hawaii all by myself this past May (not an ABD trip). I am probably considered a Senior (yuck I hate that term) so I am no spring chicken, but I do OK. That is why I decided to do the ABD Adults only with Deb Wills from ALLEARS next September. Hey, we all have something in common...our love of Disney.. so go, and have fun!!!

I just now noticed this thread, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I went on the July 2014 DIS Backstage Magic ABD. I took a chance and roomed with someone I met here on the boards, because I couldn't afford the single supplement. Not only did I end up becoming really good friends with her, but with many other people on the trip. That was the thing that surprised me he most about ABD. You really do bond with your group very quickly. I met people that week that I will stay in touch with for the rest of my life. So don't hesitate to go solo!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!