Would you pick HRH vs. RPR for $16.75 more a night? (long)

nicolep91

<font color=teal>I think this thread should be con
I already have my ressies for RPR for November at $125 waterview room but I've been checking rates for the HRH occassionaly. Today I found that HotelKingdom has a rate for the HRH at 189.00 (garden view) a night with the 4th night free which works out to be $141.75 a night or $16.75 more a night than the RPR. I've never dealt with HotelKingdom before but their cancellation policy, etc. seems to be reasonable and they seem to be a reputable company. Anyone have experience with them?

Anyway, I'm still in such a dilemma! I don't know which resort my family would prefer, but I can't help but feel like we'd like the HRH better and that after I see it in person, I'll be disappointed that I didn't pay the extra $ to stay there. I'm just afraid that it will be too noisy and busy so I'm trying to weight the positives vs. the negatives.

I've heard the HRH has a better location for walking to/from the parks. But I've heard it has a crowded pool and that it's noisy. My kids probably won't use the waterslide so that isn't an issue but I'm sure we'll swim.

I've heard that the rooms are smaller at the RPR and that the beds aren't as nice as the ones at the HRH. But I feel like I might have a better chance (if any are available) of getting an upgrade there since it doesn't seem to be as busy as the HRH.

I think the theming at the HRH looks really cool and we are big music lovers, but not when we're trying to sleep. My kids are ages 8 and 5 so I'm not sure which one they would prefer but we are staying at the HIFS for the 1st part of the trip and that hotel was picked for them, so I think this one should be for the adults.

Any opinions would be most welcome!

I probably have no right responding, as we've never stayed at RPR. We did, however, stay at the HRH in March. We split the week between HIFS and HRH so I thought I could weigh in. We loved the HRH due to the very quick walk to USF and IOA.We didn't find rooms noisy at all nor did the music at the pool seem too loud. Our biggest issue was the transition from HIFS to HRH. HIFS which may not have the most glamorous breakfast buffet in the world is just fine by us (kids are 14, 11 and 4) and having the food court to grab a burger or pizza or snacks at the store is great. Be prepared to open you wallet BIG TIME when you get to HRH. Food is not outrageously priced for a resort, but after HIFS it was a bit of a shock. Our next trip, which we will definitely stay at HRH again (although we are intrigued by RPR so if you do stay there I'd love to hear about it). I will hit Goodings or Publix prior to the stay and pick up some snacks and breakfast stuff. We ate other meals in the parks and did have one dinner poolside one night which was good. My kids had sticker shock for the first time when they saw prices for stuff in the minibar! HRH really has no convenience store to speak of. Guess we just were "spoiled" by the family amenities at HIFS where we have stayed four times.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me, camdevjor! Even though you haven't tried RPR yet, it was still nice to hear your thoughts about HRH since I haven't stayed at either place yet. I'll make sure I'm prepared and well stocked when we check out of HIFS, no matter where we end up staying since I'm sure RPR will probably have similar food prices as HRH.

Even though the $16.25 more a night doesn't seem like much, it ends up being close to $100 for 4 nights and with taxes and my dh already thinks the $125 for RPR is a lot. We're not picky people and I'm sure we'd like both places but when I'm on vacation and paying for a nice resort, I want to LOVE it!

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has a preference, opinion, etc.

Nicolep91

We've been fortunate to experience all three resorts and we've enjoyed them all. I think you will be very happy with the Royal Pacific. The ambience is romantic/exotic and the beds comfortable, yet it's not too stuffy for the kids. The pool area is great at RP because of the water play area poolside. My sons, ages 5 and 7 at the time, enjoyed exploring the resort and looking at all of the RP theming. If you like the Pacific theme, you'll love RP.

I have stayed at both and loved them both. I personally prefer the Royal Pacific.

I think it's because of the way it made me FEEL. It is luxurious and beautiful, yet warm and comfortable. I thought the Hard Rock was incredible but I didn't FEEL that way there. I work in radio and it was very "at home" for me but I guess I prefer the escape.

I found the beds comfortable at both. I could NOT sleep in my old mattress after leaving the RPR. I bought a new one that felt like that one!

I've stayed at both and prefer HRH for it's location, atmosphere, pool area and that the room is a little bigger, BUT if the price was right, I'd stay at RPH again in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your replies!

I think for right now we're just going to keep our existing reservation at the RPR. My dh thinks I'm nuts for all the stressing - "we're just going to sleep there", he says! :rolleyes:

Of course, I'll probably still be checking the rates occassionally at the HRH to see what comes along, but I'm glad to hear all the good things about the Royal Pacific and I think we'll be happy there.

Thanks again!

I have ALSO stayed at all three resorts,.... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE RPR!! :Pinkbounc I will be there soon in club level again!! YIPEE!! Always remember, you CAN pool hop,... so stay at the exotic, palm tree lined, bamboo umbrella -ed , volleyball playing, beautiful resort hotel.... THE ROYAL PACIFIC and just VISIT the HRH ! Its a no-brainer!! While HRH has its own "coolness" about it ... Royal has the relaxing polynesian flair that we all aim to retreat to after a long day at the parks!! When we were there, last August, they even had the hula dancers and fire jugglers.... POOLSIDE!! I would have sworn I was in HEAVEN!! Jakes bar is under a hut... I mean how romantic and tropical can you get!! I need to buy stock in this place, huh??!! I should be their PR person , I am in the wrong line of work, I tell ya!! LOL!! Anyway, HRH is a cool, loud music playing, hotel... very exciting at times, Portofino Bay is more upscale, laid back, refined and as we referred to it as ....... BORE-ti-fino Bay... SORRY... :rolleyes: it is a beautiful resort, just too far away , and too quiet for me!! :smooth: NO matter where you stay,... enjoy the resort too... beleive me, you WILL do more than just sleep there! So much to see and the sitting areas are just MAGICAL !!;)

We have also stayed at all three, and you can't go wrong with any choice. Our family prefers the Hard Rock, but have stayed at the other two resorts and enjoyed them both.
Have you tried calling using the other rates, (Fan club, Annual Pass, Entertainment, Loews club)?
This past Feb, we had rooms at the Royal Pacific at around 149 then later in the week for 99. We just had the Hard Rock for 169 and 160 last week.
As for the upgrades, we got two this week at the Hard Rock, but the two times we stayed at Royal Pacific didn't because they had conventions going on, and were all booked up. Last year,We had a lower rate at the Portofino than at the Hard Rock. They keep running different specials, and are constantly changing.

Peterd,
What kind of upgrade did you get at HRH?

I have the Platinum Loews club card, and for $35 extra per room, got two kids suites. It was great! We were paying the extra $25 per room for rollaways, and for $10 more got the kid suite that was usually priced between 350 and 500 per night each.

lorivegas - thanks for your comments! That is just what I wanted to hear! :D

And thanks to Peterd to for the info about rates. I haven't tried for the AP rate since I wasn't planning on buying them, but it might just be worth it if I can get a good deal.

Thanks again, everyone!

Originally posted by lorivegas
Glad I could help!! any more questions.... bring em' on!!:) ( i leave May 15) :p

I can't think of anything else right now but have a great trip and I hope to read all about it when you get back!

We just had the Hard Rock for 169 and 160 last week.
Peterd,
What room type was that (standard view, pool view) and did you book that through the Loews number? Was that a discounted rate? We're also Platinum Loews and were wondering what kind of upgrades/perks you get with that level.

The rates were either Fan club or AP,I can't remember. We first asked if their was a suite available to upgrade to, and were told there wasn't one. Later that day, we decided to ask if there was one for half the days, and there were two. We paid the $35 for the upgrade for each room, and wound up paying $195 per night for a kid suite.

Originally posted by nicolep91
Today I found that HotelKingdom has a rate for the HRH at 189.00 (garden view) a night with the 4th night free which works out to be $141.75 a night or $16.75 more a night than the RPR. I've never dealt with HotelKingdom before but their cancellation policy, etc. seems to be reasonable and they seem to be a reputable company. Anyone have experience with them?
Hi Nicole,
It looks like you've already made up your mind but wanted to let you know I recently booked the HRH with Hotelkingdom and they were very easy to deal with. So far, reviews posted on the board have also been very positive.

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter