Would you still go?

Orlando and FL overall hasn't ramped up testing like NYC...by next weekend, if FL does (and it's seems like they are now trying to do so), there's no doubt they will be on NY's path...
I completely disagree. NYC has these issues because there are 8 million people stacked on top of each other. The increased testing is in response to the increased symptoms. There aren't enough tests to offer random testing therefore Florida isn't testing at that rate, nor should they. If I lived there and not ill, I'm getting the hell out so that I don't get ill. I'd go somewhere where I could enjoy the weather and self quarantine.

As someone who is in the epicenter for infection, where do you think you would be more safe? An area who is pushing over 10,000 cases (tristate area) or Orlando area which has less than 50 cases? If you can get there, why would you not want to get out of the most infected area in the entire United States? Heck, why would you not consider going anywhere other than NYC right now? Your chances of your family getting infected are exponentially higher than just about anywhere else in the world. With that in mind, I stand by my suggestion to go.

And your going (general you) helps spread the virus from the "epicentre" to areas where there is (arguably) less.

I completely disagree. NYC has these issues because there are 8 million people stacked on top of each other. The increased testing is in response to the increased symptoms. There aren't enough tests to offer random testing therefore Florida isn't testing at that rate, nor should they. If I lived there and not ill, I'm getting the hell out so that I don't get ill. I'd go somewhere where I could enjoy the weather and self quarantine.

Orlando had run 257 total tests as of Monday. Florida as a whole ramped up Miami. but the rest of the state has been much slower...

My 20 year old autistic nephew in northeast Florida is on day 7 of his 14 day lockdown for corona...he has it, but thankfully has stayed in the "its ****ty, but not life threatening" phase so far (and we are praying he stays that way)...only places he'd have picked it up are at his community theater performances or his special needs high school. Think about that for community spread for a second...

PS - It's REALLY sucky for everyone in your family if you get it...even if you don't progress further than "this is an awful flu"- and it is...

PPS - SO DON'T GO TO FLORIDA! In fact, STAY HOME! I can't really repeat this enough. Everyone should be adulting and doing the right thing, which is staying in your own home and not chancing infecting yourself, others, and overwhelming city supply chains and hospitals...

Last edited:
As someone who is in the epicenter for infection, where do you think you would be more safe? An area who is pushing over 10,000 cases (tristate area) or Orlando area which has less than 50 cases? If you can get there, why would you not want to get out of the most infected area in the entire United States? Heck, why would you not consider going anywhere other than NYC right now? Your chances of your family getting infected are exponentially higher than just about anywhere else in the world. With that in mind, I stand by my suggestion to go.

It's not just about OP and family. It's about not spreading this all over. How do you know OP or a family member isn't already infected?

(PS - Michigan isn't anywhere near the tristate area, but I am alarmed by you advocating for someone from the epicenter to travel to another community, potentially spreading the disease)

And this is exactly why we've got a pandemic on our hands. People who think they are "healthy" going places and spreading the virus because they are infectious before they show any symptoms. By the time they realize 'whoops - my bad' they may have opened up hundreds of others to infection directly, and thousands indirectly (because those they infected will go on to infect others). The spread of this disease is exponential, and terrifying for those of us in healthcare.

Community infection is happening, and not just in NYC. Yes, urban areas see the fastest spread initially, but outlying areas are not immune. The ENTIRE POINT of self-isolation is to prevent bringing diseases from the hot beds of infection to other communities. The 1918 flu pandemic went to little towns all over the country, and that was when the population was much smaller and before we had modern transport options to hasten it along. If people go about their ordinary lives because they think they are safe because of their location, that is the exact opportunity COVID 19 needs to infect those communities. It is irresponsible to encourage nonessential interstate travel, especially to travel from hard-hit areas to areas with fewer incidences of the disease.

The sooner people take this seriously and stay at home, the sooner we can flatten the curve. People's lives are at stake, here, and you're telling potentially infectious people to go to areas with lower infection rates??? I haven't gotten any vios on Disboards yet, but I had to walk away from my computer a few times to prevent me from writing something that would earn me one.

If I lived there and not ill, I'm getting the hell out so that I don't get ill. I'd go somewhere where I could enjoy the weather and self quarantine.
And that's exactly how the virus spread in the first place. MILLIONS of people left Wuhan, some sick and hiding symptoms, some carrying it and not knowing it. And they fled and spread it. There is a personal responsibility to do the right thing. Every single authority in both healthcare and government said the "right thing" is to stay put and not spread it.
And your going (general you) helps spread the virus from the "epicentre" to areas where there is (arguably) less.
Exactly.
And this is exactly why we've got a pandemic on our hands. People who think they are "healthy" going places and spreading the virus because they are infectious before they show any symptoms. By the time they realize 'whoops - my bad' they may have opened up hundreds of others to infection directly, and thousands indirectly (because those they infected will go on to infect others).
Or people who downplay the severity of the virus and our current economic and healthcare systems and refuse to listen to experts on the virus and spread. Did you see the interviews of the spring breakers? Thank God they closed the beaches. That situation showed a serious lack of information, judgement, and lack of concern that some have regarding the virus in general, and their personal responsibility to help control it.

Two local people who have it were interviewed via phone on our local news today. One caught it in NYC where they work, one caught it in Philly where they were two weeks ago. Neither knows exactly who they were in contact with that had it and have no idea how they got it. That's how contagious it is, and how long it can incubate. In that time period, they in turn infected others. And all this was before our state was on lockdown.

This is not going to be a matter of fleeing to a place with less cases and quarantine, this will eventually hit everywhere. Our part of the country is only the beginning of the wave and it's only a matter of time before it hits other areas.

We were in Florida last fall for Hurricane Dorian. And even though it missed Orlando, the lead up to it was insane. You don't realize until you're in an emergency situation how unprepared you really are, by not having access to supplies or other resources just to prepare on a very basic level because you don't live there. We eventually had to leave before it hit because there was a severe lack of gas and we needed to get home before we couldn't.

I just wanted to get back on here as the OP and let everyone know that we have decided to stay put. Even though it was less than a week ago when I first posted this thread, things have changed dramatically around the nation. When I first posted, the only travel restrictions were for international destinations, or I would have never even considered traveling! I agree that it is imperative that we all do our part to self-isolate and slow the spread as much as possible. I wanted to make sure I got back on here to clear things up a little!

I just wanted to get back on here as the OP and let everyone know that we have decided to stay put. Even though it was less than a week ago when I first posted this thread, things have changed dramatically around the nation. When I first posted, the only travel restrictions were for international destinations, or I would have never even considered traveling! I agree that it is imperative that we all do our part to self-isolate and slow the spread as much as possible. I wanted to make sure I got back on here to clear things up a little!

Good call, thanks for checking back in on this thread! Stay healthy and safe, and wishing you happy planning for the summer, fingers crossed that we'll be back to traveling by summertime.

Sending healthy wishes to everyone here!

Once they actually start testing people, I think you’ll find that Orlando and Tampa are going to be the brand new epicenter.

Three places people go in and out of the country are LAX, MCO and Tampa (about 60 miles apart), and NYC. Four TSA agents at MCO are confirmed to have Covid-19. And they JUST started testing in FL. We were sick and didn’t get tested, because we didn’t meet the criteria even though my son flew into Tampa after coming back from Asia to visit us.

Florida has spring breakers, cruise people, etc- and all are there even yet. Every day the confirmed cases are even tripling, like in our county. And again, most people don’t get tested, even WITH symptoms.

Florida is heading for a huge disaster since we are way behind in closing things (had St Patrick’s Day parade and Shrimpapalooza Festival just last weekend!) and people are out and about, even still golfing with friends.

I really think that anybody thinking of coming to Florida now, unless planning to stay for a LONG time, is crazy. There is a mass exodus right now of Canadians and other northerners OUT of Florida (including us). We decided that we either had to commit to staying for 8 weeks, or commit to going home NOW. We have a home in the UP of Michigan where we can shelter in place. We are driving right now, eating food we brought from our home in Florida, and avoiding all but necessary stops. We’re avoiding public areas (like rest areas) and getting gas with gloves, etc. We don’t believe we are contagious at all, since we likely had it about a month ago when we were sick- but that hasn’t been confirmed so we are avoiding people and eating in our car, etc. This is a huge deal- and we’re taking it very seriously.

To protect yourself, your family, and to avoid being stuck in a rental for a long time- rethink this strategy!

Once they actually start testing people, I think you’ll find that Orlando and Tampa are going to be the brand new epicenter.

Three places people go in and out of the country are LAX, MCO and Tampa (about 60 miles apart), and NYC. Four TSA agents at MCO are confirmed to have Covid-19. And they JUST started testing in FL. We were sick and didn’t get tested, because we didn’t meet the criteria even though my son flew into Tampa after coming back from Asia to visit us.

Florida has spring breakers, cruise people, etc- and all are there even yet. Every day the confirmed cases are even tripling, like in our county. And again, most people don’t get tested, even WITH symptoms.

Florida is heading for a huge disaster since we are way behind in closing things (had St Patrick’s Day parade and Shrimpapalooza Festival just last weekend!) and people are out and about, even still golfing with friends.

I really think that anybody thinking of coming to Florida now, unless planning to stay for a LONG time, is crazy. There is a mass exodus right now of Canadians and other northerners OUT of Florida (including us). We decided that we either had to commit to staying for 8 weeks, or commit to going home NOW. We have a home in the UP of Michigan where we can shelter in place. We are driving right now, eating food we brought from our home in Florida, and avoiding all but necessary stops. We’re avoiding public areas (like rest areas) and getting gas with gloves, etc. We don’t believe we are contagious at all, since we likely had it about a month ago when we were sick- but that hasn’t been confirmed so we are avoiding people and eating in our car, etc. This is a huge deal- and we’re taking it very seriously.

To protect yourself, your family, and to avoid being stuck in a rental for a long time- rethink this strategy!

Wow!!! I just read this post while sitting here watching the news. Things got REAL CRAZY in Florida in the last few days!! All of those festivals, spring breakers, and other tourism is about to really show it's effect. Another thing I didn't think about was large senior citizen/retiree population in the State of Florida. This is REALLY sad. Florida is the topic of the day. Tourist should have stayed HOME and cancelled their vacations. I am glad the OP decided to stay home after all. It was a VERY RESPONSIBLE CHOICE.

Its almost like no one ever read stories about the Black Death. "I'll get out of the town where it is, and go to this other town where I'll be safe" - and infect the entire other town.
That's exactly what's happening in NYC. This article was written on March 14:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/nyregion/Coronavirus-nyc-rich-wealthy-residents.html

"Is it safer to leave a densely populated place for a quieter one? And if so, safer for whom? It may indeed be safer for the individual traveling, explained Leonard Mermel, medical director in the department of epidemiology at Rhode Island Hospital, but it may also create transmission in that second community.

The fact that the virus spreads easily before the onset of symptoms means that you have no idea whether or not you are delivering an infection from East 85th Street to Newport."

The cases in NYC have exploded. People aren't listening to advice to keep social distancing.

That's exactly what's happening in NYC. This article was written on March 14:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/nyregion/Coronavirus-nyc-rich-wealthy-residents.html

"Is it safer to leave a densely populated place for a quieter one? And if so, safer for whom? It may indeed be safer for the individual traveling, explained Leonard Mermel, medical director in the department of epidemiology at Rhode Island Hospital, but it may also create transmission in that second community.

The fact that the virus spreads easily before the onset of symptoms means that you have no idea whether or not you are delivering an infection from East 85th Street to Newport."

The cases in NYC have exploded. People aren't listening to advice to keep social distancing.
There’s a new Times article about how people’s movement has either increased or decreased over the past couple of weeks broken down by state.

One person wrote in the comments section that his town in southern CT is seeing people flee NYC for their summer homes in CT, descend on the supermarkets to restock their pantries and fridges (previously emptied for the season), and generally walk around acting like no social distancing is necessary. Hella scary to think how many of them may be infected and not know it, but not care because they feel “safe” in the suburbs.

With due respect, as a lifelong native NYer who is on the literal frontlines of this pandemic as an essential local gov't employee, this is the attitude that caused all those deaths in Italy. If you lived here and you aren't showing signs of symptoms, you could still very well be an asymptomatic carrier. What do you think will happen if you decide to get "get the hell out" to somewhere full of seniors and immunocompromised people?

People do not realize how interconnected our modern society is. Half of the NY area has ties to Florida, I'm one of them.

Stay. Home. It's not about you. It's about us.

Well it looks like we agree that staying home is the most responsible thing to do. But I must admit, I still fantasize about the idea of going to Orlando area and being isolated in a private pool home!!! I would drive down instead of flying to lower risks of contamination. I will bring along months of food and other supplies and just barricade me and my family inside of a 5 bedroom 5 bath pool home. Each of us will have our own bedroom and bathroom. It's going to be 90 degrees in Orlando the next few days!!!. I see myself making some quick easy meals. I fantasize about getting on a float and just floating around the pool with sunglasses on while tropical music plays in the background. Of course there is a Margarita in my hand while Jimmy Buffet sings "Margaritaville". I see my sons playing video games against each other and their friends online. I hear my daughter talking and laughing with her friends on her laptop while they play Roblox. I hear my hubby watching re-run football and basketball games on TV. Everyone doing their own things in their own zone. I see me getting out of the pool and making a quick dinner. I see us eating dinner on the patio next to the pool. I see us sitting around the pool with just our feet inside while enjoying our time together. Just us....no contact with the outside world. Now I may be going on and on but the point is: I wish I could be ''isolated in Florida" instead of here in NJ. The weather and atmosphere is so much better....even if it rains all day. I'd rather be rained on in Florida. So even though staying home in NJ is the responsible thing to do, there will always be a place in my heart that wants to be there instead of here. Maybe one day I will be able to move there. But for now I will continue to make my mental private escape there as often as possible. Thanks everyone for listening/reading. I am so very much hopeful that we will be able to return to our favorite vacation destination this August. Everyone be well and I look forward to this COVID-19 virus being a thing of the past. I pray we will all get back to our vacation planning and countdowns real soon. Be well everyone...Take care. :flower1:

Another thing to contemplate with driving is that you would have to stop at gas stations and truck stops, places where people can come into contact with one another. Truckers are literally the life blood of our nation, and they can't easily stockpile their food and drinks for long over the road runs. The hours on the road restrictions have been relaxed for transportation of critical supplies, so they're probably running tired already. People who are traveling away from their homes on the highways would be adding to the risks of truckers being exposed and could also take from their food availability.

I'm just really firmly in the STAY HOME camp, which I believe we've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of us are.

Florida Governor DeSantis ordered all people coming from NYC area to Florida to self quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-...-from-nyc-area-to-self-quarantine-for-14-days

"As New York City and the surrounding area have become the new epicenter for the coronavirus pandemic in America, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he is ordering anyone arriving on a flight from the New York region to submit to self-quarantine for two weeks.

DeSantis said in an address from his Tallahassee office that more than 100 such flights arrive daily in the state and he believes each contains at least one person infected with the new coronavirus.

He said he has been in contact with federal officials about curtailing such flights, but has not yet received a response. He said people will be screened when they arrived and told they must self-quarantine. He said those travelers will not be allowed to stay with family or friends, because that is one way the virus is spread.

He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but he said “it is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine order.” Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence.

DeSantis said people could be “held accountable if they buck the law.”
"
There's more to the article too, about how many people fled the city and how he's having enormous trouble trying to get people to stop gathering.

Florida Governor DeSantis ordered all people coming from NYC area to Florida to self quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-...-from-nyc-area-to-self-quarantine-for-14-days

"As New York City and the surrounding area have become the new epicenter for the coronavirus pandemic in America, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he is ordering anyone arriving on a flight from the New York region to submit to self-quarantine for two weeks.

DeSantis said in an address from his Tallahassee office that more than 100 such flights arrive daily in the state and he believes each contains at least one person infected with the new coronavirus.

He said he has been in contact with federal officials about curtailing such flights, but has not yet received a response. He said people will be screened when they arrived and told they must self-quarantine. He said those travelers will not be allowed to stay with family or friends, because that is one way the virus is spread.

He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but he said “it is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine order.” Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence.

DeSantis said people could be “held accountable if they buck the law.”
"
There's more to the article too, about how many people fled the city and how he's having enormous trouble trying to get people to stop gathering.

What about all the people who drove? Or those who will decide to fly out of airports outside of NY & the restricted areas? I’m not sure how they can actually enforce this, but hope they figure out a way to do so.

What about all the people who drove? Or those who will decide to fly out of airports outside of NY & the restricted areas? I’m not sure how they can actually enforce this, but hope they figure out a way to do so.
It's a shame. So sad that people didn't take their health and the health of others into consideration. Now don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't mind being quarantined in Florida, but I am not willing to risk the health and safety of my family. I am from NJ and our COVID-19 cases are off the charts. I am scared to walk out my front door at this point and they are saying we haven't seen the worst of it yet!! :scared: This is really out of control.

Yesterday I went on YouTube and there is a guy that is in Florida and he is showing on video how empty the roads are, and what restaurants have closed down. So empty and sad. But what's really sad is the places that have remained OPEN!! :scared1: The Eye of Orlando Ferris wheel was still open. So was both FUNSPOT amusement parks. All I could do was cringe and shake my head as I watched the MANY CHILDREN having fun on the Go-Karts, and the Bumper Boats. OMG!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! Parents are in complete disregard of this virus and continuing vacation by whatever means necessary. :sad2: The take-out line for Taco Bell was practically wrapped around the building. Chick-Fil-A employee was dressed in the cow costume and waving at the people coming down 192 with the purpose of enticing them to stop by Chick-Fil-A. It appears there are MANY gift shops still open. I guess they are trying to continue on with business as usual as best they can. :confused3

Anyway, as bad as I want to go I know it would be selfish and irresponsible. Many people DROVE instead of flying. Surprisingly, there are many families who travel to Orlando area by driving instead of flying anyway. You read it over and over again here on DISboards. People often drive from as far as the midwest instead of flying. But that is a conversation for another day. The point is, many people stayed home, but some people didn't. :rolleyes2 Florida is full of people from the North that own vacation homes there and decided to travel to Florida to quarantine. Between them, the tourists, and spring breakers, Florida may have some troubles ahead. I pray all goes better than expected and there are no more lives lost. I still would much rather be in Florida than here in NJ but I just hope things are back to normal for Summer vacation days ahead. I pray that in August I will be at Orange Lake Resort, sitting in a lounge chair by the pool and talking to a stranger(that becomes a friend) about how glad we are that the COVID-19 pandemic is OVER!! :cool1:

Stay healthy my friends :flower3:

Or those who will decide to fly out of airports outside of NY & the restricted areas?
I know..... I still can't understand how flights from my state, PA are not also on the Florida list. We have more cases than CT!
But what's really sad is the places that have remained OPEN!! :scared1: The Eye of Orlando Ferris wheel was still open. So was both FUNSPOT amusement parks. All I could do was cringe and shake my head as I watched the MANY CHILDREN having fun on the Go-Karts, and the Bumper Boats. OMG!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! Parents are in complete disregard of this virus and continuing vacation by whatever means necessary. :sad2: The take-out line for Taco Bell was practically wrapped around the building. Chick-Fil-A employee was dressed in the cow costume and waving at the people coming down 192 with the purpose of enticing them to stop by Chick-Fil-A. It appears there are MANY gift shops still open. I guess they are trying to continue on with business as usual as best they can
That's crazy!
Our grocery stores have lines taped to the floor to designate 6 feet, so customers know how far they are from others. And they announce every few minutes the importance of staying away from each other. Hubby went to the store yesterday and could not believe how many kids were with their parents, running around touching things. I don't get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!