Would you suggest the Ireland trip?

campbyers

Earning My Ears
We are looking into the Ireland trip for summer 2012. Have 15 and 13 year old. We love the ABD trips, but after 3 of them, realize that some are better than others. I have read trip reports, but would appreciate suggestions as what makes it such a great trip and why or why not it would be good choice for teenagers.

For example, our South African ABD trip was spectacular - the guides dusty and craig were amazing. I would recommend that trip to anyone. However, our Germany ABD trip had a few more issues and might not be as enjoyable for some.

Would appreciate any thoughts regarding! Thanks!

:goodvibes

We are looking into the Ireland trip for summer 2012. Have 15 and 13 year old. We love the ABD trips, but after 3 of them, realize that some are better than others. I have read trip reports, but would appreciate suggestions as what makes it such a great trip and why or why not it would be good choice for teenagers.

For example, our South African ABD trip was spectacular - the guides dusty and craig were amazing. I would recommend that trip to anyone. However, our Germany ABD trip had a few more issues and might not be as enjoyable for some.

Yes - Ireland is a nice place to visit....be it under or over 18 yrs of age:goodvibes.

ENJOY!

T.T.F.N

I did this trip this past May and it was an amazing trip. I would recommend this trip to anyone. The guides were spectacular and about the only thing that was bad was the weather.

I don't think anyone can answer the question as to weather is would be good for teenagers or not as that is very subjective and depends on what your teens like to do and what holds there interest.

A few of the highlights that are not listed on the ABD website are

*A tour of Dublin in a tour boat-you tour on land and on sea and don't get out of your seat once you are in the vehicle.
*Blarney Castle
*Ghost Tour in Killarney
*Dromoland Castle- you stay there three nights but you spend one whole day there and they have many activities available, that IMO anyone including teens would find something they would enjoy.

I had such a good time on this trip that in a few years and after I visit a few more places I would do it again.

If you don't mind driving on the 'other' side, Ireland is a VERY easy, safe, small and fun country to explore on your own, especially with teenagers. For the price of ABD, you do do a fantastic trip, staying in castles EVERY night--Dromoland, Waterford Castle on its own tiny island, Ashford Castle where 'The Quiet Man' was filmed, Adare Manor,etc.

The best part of Ireland is getting off the beaten path at your own pace and stopping in the villages for a pub lunch or fresh seafood or just pulling off the road to explore some ruins or an ancient stone circle you come across. Everyone is friendly and the locals need the tourist dollars.

Enjoy!

I too am interested in hearing feedback about the Ireland trip. We are new to ABD and the reason I found it was that we are thinking about a trip to Ireland next summer but my DH does not want to drive on the "other" side of the road. And I know him well enough to know that he will not relax like he could if someone else is doing the driving (and he can't relax if I am doing the driving either :rotfl:).

So I started looking into "tours" but I didn't want one where your time is spent mostly on the tour bus with lots of shopping stops :eek:. We have a DS who will be 13 next summer and he is our only one. I like the idea that there would be the possibility of interacting with other kids on an ABD trip and activities geared to a range of ages.

I realize that Ireland is supposed to be a very friendly place and there are no language barriers which would make it easier to travel on your own than some places. But given that DH does not want to drive we are considering ABD. I guess I haven't read enough feedback to know that some of the ABD trips are better than others, so I too am interested in knowing if this is one that exceeds expectations or if you come back and think that you could have done it one your own for a lot less money.

Thanks!

I haven't taken the Ireland ABD (yet :)), but I have been on 3 ABDs, two of them in the US (Southwest Splendors and Alaska). I know we could have easily done the US trips on our own, but I've never regretted for a moment doing the trip with ABD. Two of the things you mentioned are big advantages for me. First, I don't have to drive or figure out how to get where we want to go. That's a big stress reliever for me. And I also have a DS who is an only child and having the other kids to hang out with makes the trip that much better. Actually, sharing the trips with the other families in general (adults and kids) is a big plus for both of us. And then there are all the other reasons you'll see on other threads on the board - two fantastic guides, everything taken care of for you, etc. I have so much to take care of at home, taking a trip where I have to do almost nothing except show up and have fun is a wonderful thing.

I too am interested in hearing feedback about the Ireland trip. We are new to ABD and the reason I found it was that we are thinking about a trip to Ireland next summer but my DH does not want to drive on the "other" side of the road. And I know him well enough to know that he will not relax like he could if someone else is doing the driving (and he can't relax if I am doing the driving either :rotfl:).

So I started looking into "tours" but I didn't want one where your time is spent mostly on the tour bus with lots of shopping stops :eek:. We have a DS who will be 13 next summer and he is our only one. I like the idea that there would be the possibility of interacting with other kids on an ABD trip and activities geared to a range of ages.

I realize that Ireland is supposed to be a very friendly place and there are no language barriers which would make it easier to travel on your own than some places. But given that DH does not want to drive we are considering ABD. I guess I haven't read enough feedback to know that some of the ABD trips are better than others, so I too am interested in knowing if this is one that exceeds expectations or if you come back and think that you could have done it one your own for a lot less money.

Thanks!

I did this trip in May and thouroughly enjoyed it. There are two days where it takes three hours to get from one place to the other but being ABD they break it up with stops along th.e way and with the scenery you don't realize the time and it flys by.

They definitely exceeded my expectations and as I said in my previous response I would do this trip again. They changed the itinerary slightly and now include Blarney Castle and the famous Blarney stone we were also supposed to do a boat ride to the Cliffs of Moher but due to the weather and the rough seas we could'n't do that but went to the Clifs by Bus Instead.
It was a great trip and one I highly recommend.

I would like to know too if you don't mind. The Germany one was on our short list as well.
We enjoyed our Germany adventure very much! And I would recommend it. Unforturnately it rained all the time! and was cold! But that is not Disney's fault. As well as the fact that you can never control who else is touring with you ;) My DD (age 14) and I had lots of fun!

Disney ALWAYS has the best guides, especially in Munich and South Africa. And the trips have all been expertly planned out. I suppose what the question is regarding which tour to take (and I need to follow my own advice is, " what do we want to see and do?" I realize now that DH and DS would rather experience nature, wildlife, active vacations etc., as we did in South Africa, rather than history and museums as in London. So, my choice will probably be Alaska for all of us. Now if it was just me and my DD we'd do Ireland....

On our South African trip, Knights and Lights and Germany, there were always places to be at so and so time. But! this is to keep on schedule in order to see and do it all. In all three adventures, I personally took some time off and it was no problem -whether it was from being motion sick to attending a tennis tournament (London!), the Disney guides were always helpful! In addition, no matter which trip we took, because there is alot of ground to cover, there have always been extensive Coach/bus trips. I must say,that whether it was a down pour or through mountains, I never felt safer. That is worth the cost!

Germany had more of a historic feel as did knights and lights. I appreciate Disney's attempt to get us active and somewhat spontaneous, such as the cooking lessons. While we have traveled with National Geographic, I still opt for Disney because of the guides and their ability to handle many different age groups.

campbyers, I *HIGHLY* recommend the Alaska trip! I really loved it. You can check out my Trip Report in my signature.

Sayhello

We enjoyed our Germany adventure very much! And I would recommend it. Unforturnately it rained all the time! and was cold! But that is not Disney's fault. As well as the fact that you can never control who else is touring with you ;) My DD (age 14) and I had lots of fun!

Disney ALWAYS has the best guides, especially in Munich and South Africa. And the trips have all been expertly planned out. I suppose what the question is regarding which tour to take (and I need to follow my own advice is, " what do we want to see and do?" I realize now that DH and DS would rather experience nature, wildlife, active vacations etc., as we did in South Africa, rather than history and museums as in London. So, my choice will probably be Alaska for all of us. Now if it was just me and my DD we'd do Ireland....

On our South African trip, Knights and Lights and Germany, there were always places to be at so and so time. But! this is to keep on schedule in order to see and do it all. In all three adventures, I personally took some time off and it was no problem -whether it was from being motion sick to attending a tennis tournament (London!), the Disney guides were always helpful! In addition, no matter which trip we took, because there is alot of ground to cover, there have always been extensive Coach/bus trips. I must say,that whether it was a down pour or through mountains, I never felt safer. That is worth the cost!

Germany had more of a historic feel as did knights and lights. I appreciate Disney's attempt to get us active and somewhat spontaneous, such as the cooking lessons. While we have traveled with National Geographic, I still opt for Disney because of the guides and their ability to handle many different age groups.

IF you are not into rainy cold weather then don't go to Ireland, while I know it isn't always like this, the weather on my trip was horrific, it was rainy and cold the entire trip, it was still an amazing adventure but boy did it rain, I now know why it is called the Emerald ISle, it is so green because all it does it rain!

it rained and was freezing in Germany too last summer - even though there had been a heat wave the month before!

Bottom line is you can not choose who you tour with. There were some difficult people in our tour group and it was small group - but we all made it work and guides did try to help manage some interesting situations.

Thank you for all comments

:thumbsup2 I've also been on a NON Disney trip to Ireland and have to totally agree! I went for 10 days and it was so pretty and if we felt we wanted to stop for a picture we did...on the side of the road and saw a lot more of the country side than offered by ABD!!!! We stayed in B&B's the whole trip and it was wonderful! You will be shocked just how lovely and clean even the back country roads are!!! There are areas where Gaelic is spoken and on the road signs but we muddled our way through! Enjoy!!!
If you don't mind driving on the 'other' side, Ireland is a VERY easy, safe, small and fun country to explore on your own, especially with teenagers. For the price of ABD, you do do a fantastic trip, staying in castles EVERY night--Dromoland, Waterford Castle on its own tiny island, Ashford Castle where 'The Quiet Man' was filmed, Adare Manor,etc.

The best part of Ireland is getting off the beaten path at your own pace and stopping in the villages for a pub lunch or fresh seafood or just pulling off the road to explore some ruins or an ancient stone circle you come across. Everyone is friendly and the locals need the tourist dollars.

Enjoy!

Ireland was our first of four ABD trips, and we loved it. We did Germany last year and were under-welled. We hadn't even thought about Ireland. I had called Disney to book Wyoming and it was sold out. So, I asked, "Where else can I go that week?"They said Ireland; I said book it. We were thrilled. On our trip, most of the kids were older teens, but my young ones had a great time. Like all the adventures, the guides can make or break a trip. Our guides were the best of any of our trips. We really enjoed the pace of the trip--we never felt rushed. On our Viva Italia trip, I felt like we were on the run through Rome, but we saw ALOT. Bottomline, I highly recommend Ireland.

Just got back after a trip with DW and 14 year old grand daughter. Had a great time and although I think we would love to go back and see more sites on our own and get off the tourist path we had a great time. We went a day early and stayed a day late and really enjoyed all we did. The country is very green and we had cool sweatshirt weather and realy only had one bad day of rain, at the cliffs. We too got the boat cancelled at the cliffs and I think the guide told me they were going to drop the boat portion as they onbly got out one time out of eight. My GD was second oldest of the junior adventureers but had a great time with a mix of kid friendly stuff but also had plenty of adult interaction. We had done the ABD Alaska Cruise add on and loved that as well. Like an earlier post I would not hesitate in doing this trip again in a few years as it was very enjoyable.

Jim

Although I am not the OP, I have found the replies very helpful. Thank you to all who took the time to post.

It sounds like those who have been to Ireland on ABD trip have enjoyed it which is good to hear. I REALLY want to go to Ireland and DH will only go if renting a car is not part of it. So, even though many say it's easy to do, I am looking at tours and I think ABD may fit the bill for us since it's family oriented.

Happy planning to all looking for 2012 trips!

Question for Abdalums--when you said you were underwhelmed with Germany--was it because of the weather and/or traveling companions? Or was it the activities and the itinerary--which are in ABD's control.

Just wondering, as this location has been on our wish list.

We went on the ABD Ireland Trip in late June, and loved it. This was our first ABD trip, our first organized tour, and only our second time in Europe (Italy in 96). We really didn't know what to expect, but our expectations were high since it was Disney. We are DVC members, but with the high point cost we ended up renting our points and paying cash.

We started out on our own a week in London, then arriving in Ireland the first day of our tour. I would probably arrive the day before next time, just so we can do a bit more exploring in Dublin. We really enjoyed London, but we loved Ireland. It was so nice having someone else plan everything, and there was a really nice mix of organized activities and time on your own. We also realized that there were alot of things that we would never have done if we were on our own. It was also really nice to have someone else to drive while you sit back and enjoy the countryside. Some of the highlights of our trip below. The only activity I would skip would be the dinner show at the end of the trip. It was fun, but I would have loved to spend the evening enjoying the castle.

Guided Tours - Castles, Guiness, more Castles --- (I tried to get my DH to sample a few things from the Poison Garden at Blarney Castle, but no luck :)

Excellent Hotels....the best - Dromoland Castle.

Biking in the National Park

Baking Scones at the Farm

Dromoland Castle - Falconry (we did the Owls and it was amazing - DD18 favorite), and also just walking around enjoying the property. We also loved unwinding in the bar after a great day, listening to great music and laughing with some of wonderful people we met on our trip.

Guides - Amazing

We will be doing another ABD in 2013, just need to decide which one.

Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter