"Wow... those people must be REALLY hungry" - our 13 day eating extravaganza! **Updated 9/30**

You are killing me with your neighbors at skipper canteen Lol! If they were being that rude I probably would have said oh I'm sorry you can't afford to have 2 appetizers and entrees and desserts. Do you want some of mine?I hate people like that. What business are my eating habits? Clearly they are not members of the Dis. The food looks really good. We are trying skipper canteen in a few weeks. I can't wait.

Anxious to try Skipper on our upcoming trip. Curious on your bill though - is the $25 your tip? Thought you were on the dining plan so wasn't sure why you owed money unless it was alcohol.

Anxious to try Skipper on our upcoming trip. Curious on your bill though - is the $25 your tip? Thought you were on the dining plan so wasn't sure why you owed money unless it was alcohol.

Everyone still tips on the dining plan. Dining plan credits don't cover tip, they cover the cost of food/included beverages.

At home, we typically try to a low carb/ketogenic diet... but on vacation, all notions of healthy eating go right out the window!
This is us too. LCHF/Keto at home but anything goes on vacation. In fact, I indulged so much during our November WDW trip, that I was super sick for an entire 24 hours right about half-way through :crazy2:. It sucked but helped me to come back from the trip with a 1 lb. loss :laughing:

If you've had Via Napoli pizza before, you know it's amazing!
Oh, yeah! Love me some Via Napoli. It's on our must-do list now.

That's right, I like my alcohol brightly colored, full of sugar, and (ideally) served with a glow cube.
Same here! My motto is, "I don't want to taste the alcohol, I just wanna FEEL IT" :rotfl2:

whole-fried-fish-jpg.271986
:scared::scared::scared: This brings back flashbacks of my childhood because that's exactly how my mom and dad would cook/eat their fish. The EYES, OMG :faint: I think it's the reason why I don't eat fish AT ALL.

This is what I ordered for dessert. It was one of my favorites of the whole trip.

DH and I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of what our former table neighbors commentary would have been like!
When I'm enjoying my meal, I don't have time to look at what anyone else is eating because I'm too busy happily stuffing my own face :rotfl: Those people were downright rude, but you and your husband handled it well ::yes::

That was very selfless of you. My R generally only requests one meal also so I've gotta oblige!

Oh my gosh, you are so much more restrained than I am. I would've GIVEN them something to talk about :rolleyes:

:scared: So awkward. And rude! (Your neighbors, not your husband) Yeah at this point I would've stooped so low as to middle school maturity "take a picture, it'll last longer"

Haha that was my exact thought and then you typed it! I blame it on us being the "Indiana Jones generation" watching all those adventure films where awful things like quicksand waited around every corner to eat up an unsuspecting protagonist. Actually now that I think of it, I may have learned about quicksand from a Gilligan's Island re-run. Terrifying!

:rotfl2: I wish you could have kept the neighbors and taken a picture of their faces upon seeing the four desserts. That is just the best!

Glad you had a great meal and now I am wishing for falafel. Like others have mentioned we (well, I... R kind of does whatever) do keto at home too so reading and thinking about vacation food is the best kind of torture!

Selfless? Okay, I'll take it... I won't mention the whining and complaining that I did when he asked for this restaurant! :rotfl:

We were still in the "first full-day of vacation bliss", so I think that helped us handle the table neighbors with humor. We couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous the whole thing was! If they'd seen our 4 desserts, I'm sure they would have :eek::eek::eek::eek: :scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who worried about quicksand! I thought it was going to be a daily concern in my adult life! :rotfl2:

Chef Mickey's
After a fun-filled day at Magic Kingdom, we walked over to the Contemporary at 6:15 for our reservation at Chef Mickey's. Our ADR was for 7:15, but we were hoping we might get lucky and be seated earlier since we planned to head back to MK for Happily Ever After. We grabbed some seats and drank in the air conditioned air while watching the monorails go by. No luck being seated early, but it was a nice little break.

My pictures of this dinner are pretty lacking. I only seem to have pictures of my plates. But really... if you've seen one Disney Character buffet, you've pretty much seen them all!

Chef Mickey's 1st plate.jpg
From 12 o'clock, we have: Bread with butter, Shrimp with cocktail sauce, Pork Rib, Asparagus, Salmon, Mac & Cheese, and a Chicken Nugget with Honey Mustard. The best thing on this plate was the salmon. It was actually nicely cooked and had decent flavor. The Pork Rib was terrible... it may have just been luck of the draw, but mine tasted like it had been sitting there for a while (like a few days) :sick:. The asparagus was edible, but was in desperate need of salt. You can kind of see DH's plate in the background. He had pretty much the same thing as me, plus cornbread and ham. His favorite part of the buffet was the Mac & Cheese. I believe his next plate was just Mac & Cheese. Nothing like paying $50 for some Macaroni....

My second plate was much more to my liking:

Chef Mickey's 2nd plate.jpg
Corn on the cob, Horseradish, Mashed Potatoes, Roast beef. All of this food was quite good. As you can see, the beef was nicely cooked and not dry at all. The mashed potatoes were also well seasoned... I just really like a lot of pepper. DH calls me a Pepper Monkey (ala Top Chef, season 1).

During this time, Mickey, Minnie and Goofy made their way over to our table. I won't bore you with all the pictures -- but here's a couple:

Eric with Minnie.jpg Felishia with Goofy.jpg
Time for dessert! By now, we were both pretty full. Actually, I think we were still mostly full from lunch because we really hadn't eaten much here. We decided to share a small plate of desserts while we waited for Donald and Pluto.

Chef Mickey's dessert.jpg
We sampled some Strawberry Cake, a Vanilla Macaron, a Mickey Dome, Pistachio Macaron, and an Key Lime Tart. Nothing particularly stood out as great. DH enjoyed the Mickey Dome, but I didn't care for the texture of the soggy Oreo. I think we were just too full to really get into dessert.

We asked for our check, so we'd be ready to leave after seeing Donald and Pluto.

Chef Mickey's receipt.jpg
As you can see, it was 8:24 at this time and we still hadn't seen Donald or Pluto. Happily Ever After was scheduled to start at 9:00, so we were getting a little antsy. We decided that we'd leave at 8:40, no matter what. Finally at 8:30, we saw Donald coming down the row! Pluto showed up in our section 8 minutes later at 8:38. At 8:42, we started speed walking back to Magic Kingdom. Thankfully, we got through bag check along the walkway from the Contemporary really quickly and managed to find a decent spot on Main Street before the show started!

MK Fireworks.jpg
Us with 5000 of our new closest friends! DH may have been a little tired :rotfl2:
Happily Ever After was good... but we both missed Wishes. As the hub cleared out, DH was ready to head back to the resort, but I made an Executive Decision to see if they were still doing the lantern pics near the Tangled bathrooms. Turned out to be a great decision - these are some of my favorite pictures of us, ever!

Lantern pic.jpg

Overall, we weren't impressed with Chef Mickey's. The atmosphere was loud and chaotic, the food was just okay, the service was decent (not great). We will probably not be back until we have kids who want to meet the characters. As two adults, it wasn't really worth the time or cost.

Up next... Satu'li Canteen!

Satu'li Canteen
The next morning, we were up bright and not-so early for our favorite park, Animal Kingdom! I have a confession to make. We are NOT morning people. I always have these grand illusions of us making it to rope drop, touring leisurely for a few hours, then start hitting our FastPasses around noon. NEVER HAPPENS. When my alarm goes off in the morning, DH will ask when our first FP is and tell me to wake him up about an hour before that. So that's what we do - sleep until the last possible minute we can and still make it to our Fast Pass. That is, if I don't land up trying to move our FPs. You know, the ones I was up at the crack of dawn to make 60 days prior to our trip. :sad2::rolleyes2:headache:

You're probably wondering what this has to do with a Dining Report. Well, we had an ADR at Boma for breakfast this morning that I had to cancel. :sad1: I am STILL sad about it. :sad::sad::sad:

Instead, we barely made it to our FOP FastPass. After riding (wow - what a great ride!), we found ourselves starving. The delicious smells coming from Satu'li Canteen called to us, so in we went! Our Tiffins ADR was only 5 hours away, and we wanted to be hungry enough really enjoy it, so we decided to share something. The line was HUGE, but it gave us time to argue over which bowl we were going to share. As a side note, ordering from the app looked to be working really well. We saw several people leave the line, order from the app, and have their food long before they would have had they stayed in line. Like us. In line...

We finally decided on:

Beef and Hash bowl.jpg
Sliced Grilled Beef Bowl with Red & Sweet Potato Hash and Charred Onion Chimichurri Sauce
Slow-Roasted Sliced Grilled Beef marinated in a blend of Garlic, Herbs, Red Pepper Spice, and Red Wine Vinegar topped with Crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Boba Balls

Chicken and rice bowl.jpg
Grilled Chicken Bowl with Rice and Creamy Herb Sauce
Wood-Grilled Chicken Thighs marinated with Garlic and Olive Oil topped with Crunchy Vegetable Slaw and Boba Balls
We couldn't come to an agreement... so we landed up with two bowls :laughing:. DH chose the beef with potatoes and Chimichurri sauce. The flavor was great, but, to me, it was very heavy. The beef was also kind of awkward to eat since it is in long slices. The bowl would be easier to eat if the beef was chopped rather than sliced. The clear winner at the table was the grilled chicken bowl. Absolutely delicious! The chicken was well cooked and not dry. It mixed perfectly with the creamy herb sauce and rice. I was a little hesitant about having Boba balls in my food - but they were terrific... like a little burst of flavor in your mouth! I would definitely come back here and order exactly the same thing!

And because you can't go to a place with blue dessert and not order it:

Cheesecake.jpg
Blueberry Cream Cheese Mousse

So good! I was expecting a really heavy dessert, but this was surprisingly light and creamy. The Passion Fruit curd on top had a great tartness to it that really cut through the sweetness of the blueberry mousse.

We walked away with full, happy bellies. Knowing how full we were, I managed to push our Tiffins ADR back an hour... a decision we would later regret.

The mashed potatoes were also well seasoned... I just really like a lot of pepper.

You do :laughing:

I have a confession to make. We are NOT morning people.

Same. :rotfl:

You're probably wondering what this has to do with a Dining Report. Well, we had an ADR at Boma for breakfast this morning that I had to cancel. :sad1: I am STILL sad about it. :sad::sad::sad:

We have to do this sometimes too, and canceling when you're already there is the worsttt!

Never tried Skipper's Canteen...but your food and desserts look delicious! Might have to add that to our upcoming trip!

Following along. Your review of Rose and Crown caused me to go change our Epcot ADR to R&C instead of Garden Grill! I was feeling pretty iffy about that one anyway :-)

Great review so far!I really appreciate when people include receipts/costs. It will be my first time with a dinning plan on my next trip, and it is nice to see how it looks on a bill in advance :)

I'm joining late, but I'm all caught up now :)

Those people at Skipper Canteen cared way too much about what you were eating - clearly they are not familiar with the Deluxe Dining Plan either...

My fiance and I love character meals, but I'm glad neither one of us has any desire to go to Chef Mickey's - I've yet to see a really glowing review of that place!

Have fun on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts